Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What foods can I NOT get in Canada?

What foods can I NOT get in Canada?

Old Feb 9th 2011, 1:55 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What foods can I NOT get in Canada?

Originally Posted by dbd33
Then discounting all raclet cheese at this point would be like discounting all beer after trying a cinquante.

What you want is a chunk of French raclet cut off the round, for two people I'd go with a wedge about 4" at the outside. The market is the usual source though I2C also has a supplier in some sort of bunker under Yorkville.

What to do with the rind is a conundrum, some people like to smoulder it in the grill, I cut it off and feed it to the dog. I suppose that, since you don't have a dog, you'll have to grill and eat it.
Excellent. There are a couple of proper cheese places in the Byward.

<****ing keyboard>
Old Feb 9th 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Excellent. There are a couple of proper cheese places in the Byward.

<****ing keyboard>
Is there a Farm Boy supermarket on the dark side..they have a good selection of cheese.

Have you been here..

http://goo.gl/maps/DTVb

great bread, small pizzas, croissants, not sure about cheese....very artisinal/hippie vibe in the place.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

When we first came to Canada we used to spend time thinking about the british foods we could not get.

We had friends who took my wife to the local brit shop where she spent a ridiculous amounts of money for a pack of custard creams and a few other items.

We had other friends who would tell us how we could drive to a shop hours away to pick up some hard to get item and they would bring things back for us from other towns that they were visiting.

But now we do not bother. Instead we try to enjoy the local food and we have found that much of the food is the same as what we used to eat in the UK just with a different name. And much of the food is even better than what we used to have in England.

Sometimes we have to shop around a little to find what we like but it is worth it. We regularly drive to a bread shop that has a selection of breads that I could only dream of in England.

My sister came over from the UK last summer and I introduced her to some of the things I had found.

When she went home, she went with an extra case packed full of goodies.

We have also introduced our Canadian friends to the delights of creme anglais (devons custard).

So instead of worrying about the foods that you cannot get in Canada, you will have a much fuller life by focussing on the foods that you can!!
Old Feb 9th 2011, 3:08 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsnake
When we first came to Canada we used to spend time thinking about the british foods we could not get.

We had friends who took my wife to the local brit shop where she spent a ridiculous amounts of money for a pack of custard creams and a few other items.

We had other friends who would tell us how we could drive to a shop hours away to pick up some hard to get item and they would bring things back for us from other towns that they were visiting.

But now we do not bother. Instead we try to enjoy the local food and we have found that much of the food is the same as what we used to eat in the UK just with a different name. And much of the food is even better than what we used to have in England.

Sometimes we have to shop around a little to find what we like but it is worth it. We regularly drive to a bread shop that has a selection of breads that I could only dream of in England.

My sister came over from the UK last summer and I introduced her to some of the things I had found.

We have also introduced our Canadian friends to the delights of creme anglais (devons custard).

So instead of worrying about the foods that you cannot get in Canada, you will have a much fuller life by focussing on the foods that you can!!
Eh? Had they never seen it before? The supermarkets we use have whole shelves of it.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 3:19 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

One you won't get here

http://www.manchesteregg.com/
Old Feb 9th 2011, 3:46 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
One you won't get here

http://www.manchesteregg.com/
I don't care if that's a spoof or not. I want one.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:42 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I don't care if that's a spoof or not. I want one.
Yes they look good and I'm not sure how spoofy it is? I really miss scotch eggs. A picnic is not the same without them.

Manky Scotch Eggs
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:47 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Yes they look good and I'm not sure how spoofy it is? I really miss scotch eggs. A picnic is not the same without them.

Manky Scotch Eggs
Ham sandwich and maybe a slice of battenburg is all I get at a picnic.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:52 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Is there a Farm Boy supermarket on the dark side..they have a good selection of cheese.

Have you been here..

http://goo.gl/maps/DTVb

great bread, small pizzas, croissants, not sure about cheese....very artisinal/hippie vibe in the place.
Farmboy must be very different where you are to the one in Peterborough!
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsnake

1) Yes, buying proper food over here is very spendy.

2) crap bacon, meatloaf and tacos is all they seem to eat over here and its crap. I'd stay away from the local food unless you want to be as fat as them.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Farmboy must be very different where you are to the one in Peterborough!
Not sure it is the same place.....

http://www.farmboy.ca/

This website doesn't show any locations in the 'Patch'.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 6:18 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Not sure it is the same place.....

http://www.farmboy.ca/

This website doesn't show any locations in the 'Patch'.
Looks much fancier than anything in Pbro.

The logo looks similar but not the same. Anyway the Pbro one has plastic cheese.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Looks much fancier than anything in Pbro.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=farmboy...xzF7mJKeoZhVHg

The logo looks similar but not the same. Anyway the Pbro one has plastic cheese.
Totally different places...although the names are close. The one here is in the Ottawa area and in Cornwall (I think that was the original one as they sourced a lot of their fruit/veg from markets in Montreal).

Plastic cheese is not a feature at the Farm Boy here......although they do have that mock chicken loaf stuff in the deli.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

Like other posters have said, you can't get everything conveniently in one supermarket. But you can definitely get everything if you look around.

There are usually "British Shops" or "Scottish Shops" where you can get e.g. good bacon or cheese n onion crisps.

On the other hand, it's unlikely in the UK you can get Bison too easily. mmmm.

You just really have to adapt your eating habits.

And as to the "sugar in everything" the solution is: salads.

Eeeek! Something people are scared of back home!!