USA refugees Huh?

Old Aug 27th 2017, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA refugees Huh?

I did understand the gist. I don't think deception is on regardless of how it's done.

I assumed "Westerners" because I believe you referenced this forum - as I mentioned I don't care where they come from.

I don't lurk much in the visa section of this forum so can't vouch that people advocate this but will accept your judgment that they do, regardless it's not on.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 12:40 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I thought so. Mine was white too (as you know). I think that helped in getting her the benefit of the doubt in the early years when she left Canada only every six months or so. I doubt that someone from Haiti would get away with that for years on end.
A Haitian citizen wouldn't because they require a visa to travel to Canada. A US passport holder is likely to face less scrutiny. It would be a matter of nationality rather than race.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

When it comes to violations of the Immigration & Refugee Protection Act then it doesn't matter about the persons colour, creed, religion or whatever else if they are reported they are dealt with.
Many a time on here I have been tempted to say something but have bitten my tongue as no violation has occurred but the intention is there at times especially those who don't meet the residency obligation and wanting to return to Canada or renew their PR card.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 6:10 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
I did understand the gist. I don't think deception is on regardless of how it's done.

I assumed "Westerners" because I believe you referenced this forum - as I mentioned I don't care where they come from.

I don't lurk much in the visa section of this forum so can't vouch that people advocate this but will accept your judgment that they do, regardless it's not on.
Presumably you're with Trump on the policy of sending young Mexican Americans back, because they're undocumented?
Old Aug 27th 2017, 7:48 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness another one of "those" posters.

Bats, do you have any idea what "bigot" actually means?

A "bigot" is not a person who disagrees with you about something. A "bigot" is also not a person who is left-wing, as I am, but just not as left-wing as you are.

A bigot is someone who treats certain races and ethnic groups with hatred and intolerance.

So, as I look back in my posts, where have I directed hatred towards an ethnic group?

Was it when I posted - repeatedly - that legitimate refugees should be given asylum in Canada and resettled there? No, I don't see any bigotry in that statement.

How about when I said those denied asylum or who aren't legitimate refugees, should be encouraged to apply for residence, and then welcomed if they meet the criteria? No, no bigotry there either.

When I agreed with BristolUK that Westerners claiming residence on false pretenses should have their visas cancelled? That doesn't sound much like a bigoted remark.

When I said that Germany had been "swamped" by migrants? No hate statements at racial or ethnic groups there either - that's just a statement you disagree with (though I would say 1.5 million migrants in 18 months is indeed "swamped" and most logical and reasonable people would agree, especially as how none of the countries involved have been able to handle the situation).

When I warned that if people perceive a country as losing control of its borders, that could lead to more Trumps, Brexits, and Le Pens? That doesn't sound like bigotry either and in fact is pretty well documented. I am warning about them precisely because I don't support them.

Now, if I had said something like, black refugees shouldn't be allowed into Canada . . . bingo! That would be an example of a bigoted statement.

If I had said that it was terrible that Germany had been "swamped" by Muslims? Bingo! That would also be an example of a bigoted statement.

But I don't believe that which is why I didn't say that, and why I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you called me a "bigot" out of your own ignorance about what the term means, rather than that you were trying to use very dishonest rhetorical tactics.

In the future, I strongly, strongly recommend that when on BE you reply to posts that are actually written, and not phantom posts that exist only in your head; refrain from making false allegations against posters using grown-up terms you don't understand; and, if that fails, enroll in remedial reading comprehension courses that will help you better understand what is actually being written.
Thank you for your diatribe and lecture. Ive considered replying pointing out that displaying bigotry in a post isn't the same as being an out an out bigot. That using the word "swamped" indicates the users feelings towards asylum seekers, illegal border crossers but I decided it was a waste of time.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 7:58 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Thank you for your diatribe and lecture. Ive considered replying pointing out that displaying bigotry in a post isn't the same as being an out an out bigot. That using the word "swamped" indicates the users feelings towards asylum seekers, illegal border crossers but I decided it was a waste of time.
The poster appears to have used the word swamped in a return statement indicating that they would never use the word swamped (clear as mud in my eyes)

Last edited by magnumpi; Aug 27th 2017 at 8:18 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

paw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond repute

In country after country insecure borders and rising asylum claims have led to rising community tensions and in some cases outright violence. Yet many politicians who claim to support community relations and loudly claim to hate racism and Trump are proposing measures that would increase asylum flows (suspend third country agreement etc).

I sometimes wonder what the true motives of some of these politicians are because their policies are likely to cause the very problems that they claim to abhor.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 9:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paw339
In country after country insecure borders and rising asylum claims have led to rising community tensions and in some cases outright violence. .
No, it's morons who are responsible for that. Devious morons with ulterior motives who want to take advantage of it and sew discontent, fan the flames and other clichés.

People like Farage, Tyndall, Le Pen with their misleading and exaggerating claims, "rivers of blood" or arranging marches that are guaranteed and designed to provoke.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

paw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
No, it's morons who are responsible for that. Devious morons with ulterior motives who want to take advantage of it and sew discontent, fan the flames and other clichés.

People like Farage, Tyndall, Le Pen with their misleading and exaggerating claims, "rivers of blood" or arranging marches that are guaranteed and designed to provoke.
There are always people willing to take advantage of a crisis. Why not prevent the crisis in the first place? What do you think will happen if the numbers don't drop very quickly?

There are over 10m people in US without permanent status.

Last edited by paw339; Aug 27th 2017 at 9:31 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

There are over 10m people in US without permanent status.
And just wait until the American civil war goes hot in a few years.

We need a wall between Canada and America, even more than America needs one between America and Mexico.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 10:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

There are always people willing to take advantage of a crisis. Why not prevent the crisis in the first place?
It depends what crisis you mean and whether it is, in fact, a crisis.

The violence you mentioned hasn't happened here has it?

Where it has happened includes the UK, quite soon after the Brexit vote. What should have been done to avert that crisis, deport people to save them being attacked?

When they've been deported who comes next because you can bet whichever right wing extremist group is flavour of the month will move on to the next target.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BristolUK

The violence you mentioned hasn't happened here has it?
And I would like to see it stay that way.

"It depends what crisis you mean and whether it is, in fact, a crisis."

With some government projections now showing an 11 year wait to have asylum cases heard I would call that a crisis.

Immigration and Refugee Board can't keep up with asylum claims - Politics - CBC News
Old Aug 27th 2017, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
You are completely and totally wrong (again). You say you read my previous post but it's clear it didn't sink in. Go back and re-read the part where it says a "bigot" is someone with intolerance/hatred to racial or ethnic groups, not someone who disagrees with you about something or isn't sufficiently left wing for you. The use of the word "swamped" indicates nothing ethnic or racial and it's ludicrous you would even go there.

Last edited by carcajou; Aug 27th 2017 at 11:54 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 11:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You are completely and totally wrong (again). You say you read my previous post but it's clear it didn't sink in. Go back and re-read the part where it says a "bigot" is someone with intolerance/hatred to racial or ethnic groups, not someone who disagrees with you about something or isn't sufficiently left wing for you.
Someone like paw339, rather than someone like you?
Old Aug 28th 2017, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shard
Presumably you're with Trump on the policy of sending young Mexican Americans back, because they're undocumented?
Is there a legal pathway to residence that they have not taken advantage of? If so, put them on that and leave them alone.

If there is no legal pathway to residence, then they should be returned to Mexico. If there is no legal pathway - they should not be rewarded for illegally entering the country and avoiding detection for x number of years.

No country in the world has an obligation to give residency to anyone who asks for it, and it would be insanity to go down that route.

Why should Mexican undocumenteds get special treatment, compared to other nationalities?

Or, more to the point, is this a pressing issue that the United States should be prioritising? I would argue it is not and resources should go into other things, and I also did not vote for Trump (I have a US passport) nor will I vote for him in 2020. But he did win and we have to live with that, for at least another three years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.