British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   TV shows. Anybody on here been on one? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/tv-shows-anybody-here-been-one-895298/)

BristolUK Apr 12th 2017 3:54 pm

Re: TV shows. Anybody on here been on one?

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12227687)
...been on many different radio programmes...

Just remembered...was interviewed for radio on a picket once. It was broadcast but I never heard it.

Oh... that reminds me. Radio West - the real radio west, not the one from Shoestring - called me on my birthday once. That was broadcast but I didn't hear it as I was on the phone to one of the presenter/DJs at the time :lol:

Partially discharged Apr 12th 2017 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by jamesmc (Post 12227689)
aye "farming" show one sunday morning in the 70s (was hauling silage). A special when the queen was opening "express dairies" new creamery in75 (was one o the folk sitting on a load o bales . Then a documentary by Volvo on the new BM loaders when I was working in forestry circa 78.

You should have been interviewed by Alan Partridge.

Teaandtoday5 Apr 12th 2017 4:19 pm

One of my primary school teachers, Mr Brackley, was on 70s quiz show 'Gambit', and my secondary school German teacher, Miss Tonge, was on 'Mastermind'. My life has been an amazing series of brushes with fame.:p

Partially discharged Apr 12th 2017 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12227700)
and Former Lancastrian to pull you over?.. :rofl:

ha ha. There are a couple on the Canadian show who could make get searched more pleasant ;););)

Shard Apr 12th 2017 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12227539)
Needless to say our brief interview made the cut for broadcast that evening once we told them we were heading to the south of France via a road between Hayfield and Buxton.

I'm angling for an episode of Border Security where I get pulled over with a suitcase full of Bourneville Dark, Ribena, Robinson's Barley Water and Rowntree's Blackcurrant Pastilles.

:lol:
:lol:

It's a nope from me.

BristolUK Apr 12th 2017 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12227755)
One of my primary school teachers, Mr Brackley, was on 70s quiz show 'Gambit', and my secondary school German teacher, Miss Tonge, was on 'Mastermind'. My life has been an amazing series of brushes with fame.:p

It's funny...when you hear things like that you remember more. :rofl:

My Maths teacher - Jim Waterman - played rugby for Bath so he'd have been on the telly.

Oakvillian Apr 12th 2017 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12227873)
It's funny...when you hear things like that you remember more. :rofl:

My Maths teacher - Jim Waterman - played rugby for Bath so he'd have been on the telly.

Ah yes, I was taught history for a term or two by Alastair Hignell, who was one of the last people, I think, to be a top-flight player of two different sports. He played Rugby Union for Bristol (and England) in the winter, and cricket for Gloucestershire in the summer. He then went on to be a radio and TV journalist, so was on the telly quite a bit.

mrken30 Apr 12th 2017 8:36 pm

My niece in on the credits for the last Harry Potter movie, does that count? She did not appear on screen though.

Mr Bean Apr 12th 2017 9:23 pm

I was on Record Breakers, Noel's House Party and So You Think You Can Dance, Canada, my name was in the credits.

DandNHill Apr 12th 2017 10:01 pm

My husband tells me that his parents and their hotel was the inspiration for John Cleese to write Fawlty Towers. Now that says a lot about the inlaws!!

Oh hubby was in several episodes of a year in the life of Gatwick Airport.

I've been on local radio several times in small town NS but my fame is really all by association. Like Teatoday I have to cling to whatever I can! 😜😉

bats Apr 12th 2017 10:04 pm

I was thinking of reality shows, the home ones, or Come Dine With Me, Master Chef!, Big Brother even. I just wonder how much control over how you're presente as so many people come across as total nitwits.

It seems some of you are almost famous. Me I've never been on the telly and I intend to keep it that way.

BristolUK Apr 12th 2017 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12228025)
I was thinking of reality shows, the home ones...

I did try to keep it on track with my Charlie Dimmock reference. :rofl:

Teaandtoday5 Apr 13th 2017 12:10 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12228025)
It seems some of you are almost famous. Me I've never been on the telly and I intend to keep it that way.

I feel the same. Not even the attractive (if annoying) Phil would be enough to get me onto LLL. Not that I have the sort of budget they are used to anyway.

(I would however be happy to be an audience member, if anyone from C4 is reading, as long as I could sit very close to Adam Hills. Restraining order close, ideally.)

MillieF Apr 13th 2017 2:09 am

I've become 'practically' famous since moving to Fredericton! Not much happens here! I've been on Global News for the last 4 years, shoveling out after snow storms...not because I shovel particularly well, but because we live in a cul de sac a couple of turnings away from their studio. I was interviewed by Qubec tele when I got my Citizenship...I was the only one there that could speak French. I am also on some school broadcast about women's rights, being spat at by Pro Lifers; it comes on regularly in one school or another and everyone tells my son.

I think I may have preferred being on The Weakest Link, rather than coming to Canada, and proving myself to be one :unsure:

Flossie and Jim Apr 13th 2017 2:14 am

I was an extra in a BBC TV 'Play for Today' back in the mid 1980's - they used a load of kids from our primary school. It was a WW2 drama so we got to wear period costumes. I was paid the princely sum of ten pounds and still have my BBC Contract somewhere. We spent a whole afternoon and evening dancing around a bonfire apparently celebrating the end of WW2 or something. When all the family sat down to watch it there was about 30 seconds at the end of the show :rofl:

Also appeared on Wish You Were Here - they were doing a piece on the 'lovely' holiday camp we were staying at in Bognor. I was filmed jumping around in the swimming pool. For this I was paid with a stick of rock and a wish you were here badge :huh: