Trumps First week

Old Jan 29th 2017, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trumps First week

Originally Posted by not2old
Should it matter or be of any concern to those of us living in Canada to 'care' or 'think' about what Trump is doing, or all that we are seeing in the US media (re-broadcast by Canadian networks or in the Canadian media, even the UK)... I don't think so
Spot on, n2o! What Canadians should be worrying about, now, is their Prime Minister's offer to accept all refugees that are excluded by the US. (Did I hear that right?!)
Old Jan 29th 2017, 5:03 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Nonsensical I'm afraid. Unless Sir Mo becomes a US citizen then he is, and remains, an alien under US law, nothing to do with Trump. The ban also won't apply to him as he would have ceased to be a Somali citizen upon acquiring British citizenship.
There are conflicting reports, but apparently Mo Farah has both Somalian & British citizenship. It looks like he could be affected by the ban.

Last edited by Danny B; Jan 29th 2017 at 5:06 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 5:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Spot on, n2o! What Canadians should be worrying about, now, is their Prime Minister's offer to accept all refugees that are excluded by the US. (Did I hear that right?!)
No. <shock>.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No. <shock>.
Maybe not all, eh? The words "declined to comment" leaves the door open, so to speak; but that may be a misquotation by the NYT.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/28/w...-ban.html?_r=0
Cameron Ahmad, Mr. Trudeau’s press secretary, declined to comment on whether the Twitter posts were an indication that Canada may welcome some refugees who now found themselves shut out of the United States.
Any move by Canada to quickly offer asylum to refugees frozen out of the United States would certainly pose logistical problems.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 5:52 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
There are conflicting reports, but apparently Mo Farah has both Somalian & British citizenship. It looks like he could be affected by the ban.
The article and Somalian nationality law would suggest otherwise.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 7:19 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

The Canadian PM has teewted that all the oppressed are welcome in Canada

http://globalnews.ca/news/3212041/ju...mp-travel-ban/

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ecutive-order/

So, my guess is that Canada will take in what the US does not want or to those refused entry to the US

Does Canada need more bloody immigrants & refugees?

Last edited by not2old; Jan 29th 2017 at 7:22 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 7:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

So, my guess is that Canada will take in what the US does not want or to those refused entry to the US
Canada hasn't so far. Not sure why that should change. Canada has been making its own arrangements.

Does Canada need more bloody immigrants & refugees?

On the voter fraud allegations:

According to the Washington Post Jared Kushner, President Trump's son-in-law and one of his closest White House advisers, is registered to vote in both New Jersey and New York, while White House press secretary Sean Spicer is on the rolls both in Virginia and his home state of Rhode Island, according to elections officials and voting registration records.

You couldn't make it up.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 7:31 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
What a novel concept, this idea that someone at the top has the "misfortune" to take the fall.

Here you are Sir Philip, here is the money you'd have "earned" (the term applied loosely) for the rest of your contract without even having to stay on and work for it, and here's a nice gold plated bonus for you as well, as compensation.

Oh and I have a nice little consultancy position for you when the fuss dies down.
in most every corporation the chief executive falls into that category

Or when an ex CEO, PM, President, Prime minister, finance minister gets fired (end of term of contract) gets that golden hand shake, pay-off bonus, nice retirement pension, ends up doing a few things from to including ....writing a book, doing paid speaking engagements or sits on the board of directors of other corporations that he/she helped or gave contracts to while in office or the position of power.

I'm wondering where the Obama's & Clintons are on Trumps 'imposed executive orders'?

Last edited by not2old; Jan 29th 2017 at 8:09 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

At least one person has been arrested for voting twice in the election. For Trump.

Although she may have cognitive limitations and her lawyer says is unable to assist in her defense and unfit to stand trial.

2016 election has 4 known documented cases of voter fraud out of 136 million votes cast.

Article is in the Toronto Star. On phone and cant seem to post link.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Canada hasn't so far. Not sure why that should change. Canada has been making its own arrangements.

On the voter fraud allegations:

According to the Washington Post Jared Kushner, President Trump's son-in-law and one of his closest White House advisers, is registered to vote in both New Jersey and New York, while White House press secretary Sean Spicer is on the rolls both in Virginia and his home state of Rhode Island, according to elections officials and voting registration records.

You couldn't make it up.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 8:48 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
The legality and morality of the country ban aside, it shouldn't have been implemented with such immediate effect. US should have given a 1-2 week grace period for individuals with already purchased tickets or returnees the chance to enter.
why 1-2 weeks, why a"grace period", why then not a longer or shorter period - just sign the orders & as of the date they're signed is as good as it gets.
The problem there is the Airport authorities aren't equipped to deal with the sudden change.

As the Governor of Washington pointed out it was "reckless and irresponsible".

Looking forward to his second week.

I don't think he is going to have many weeks. I initially thought he might last 18 months but behind the scenes the Republicans must be fretting in all directions.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 10:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No. <shock>.
Even if Canada had agreed to accept refugees vetted for the US and green card holders now excluded from the US that would be a safe thing to do. The US has vigorous vetting and there's no history of terrorism by refugees there. It might be grandstanding but it wouldn't be dangerous grandstanding.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM

I don't think he is going to have many weeks. I initially thought he might last 18 months but behind the scenes the Republicans must be fretting in all directions.
Is there any mileage in this? I hoped he wouldn't get as far as inauguration but that was always wishful thinking. I like the hope that he screws up so much, so quickly that he doesn't last, but is it realistic? His people (i.e. Those who voted for him) won't see this ban as a screw-up. It's what they wanted. I expect the Supreme Court Justices will come in for similar vitriol to their UK counterparts.

That said I hope you're right.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 11:12 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Is there any mileage in this? I hoped he wouldn't get as far as inauguration but that was always wishful thinking. I like the hope that he screws up so much, so quickly that he doesn't last, but is it realistic? His people (i.e. Those who voted for him) won't see this ban as a screw-up. It's what they wanted. I expect the Supreme Court Justices will come in for similar vitriol to their UK counterparts.

That said I hope you're right.
Which method would you prefer, given that your options are impeachment, resignation, assassination or coup?
Old Jan 29th 2017, 11:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Which method would you prefer, given that your options are impeachment, resignation, assassination or coup?
There's also the lame duck possibility. Leftists such as Dick Cheney and John McCain (and yes, I know they weren't "leftists" last week) mobilise effective opposition so that for the last three years and six months of his Presidency Trump can't get bills passed. His ego doesn't allow resignation so he plays a lot of golf.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

I would have to rule out coup, and assassination. He doesn't have enough self-awareness to ever resign. I don't know enough to understand what grounds are required for impeachment, but even if it seems difficult to believe there won't be sufficient cause, the mindset of his supporters seems to make acceptance of this outcome unlikely so...

Originally Posted by dbd33
There's also the lame duck possibility. Leftists such as Dick Cheney and John McCain (and yes, I know they weren't "leftists" last week) mobilise effective opposition so that for the last three years and six months of his Presidency Trump can't get bills passed. His ego doesn't allow resignation so he plays a lot of golf.
Dbd's suggestion seems like a possibility to cling to

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.