Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Syrian refugee crisis.

Syrian refugee crisis.

Old Sep 11th 2015, 11:31 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Syrian refugee crisis.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Sorry my reading skills might be a bit off this early in the morning as I can't decipher how this reply answers the 4 questions about the Syrian refugee crisis I posed to you and others.
1. How may Syrian refugees should we accept?
2. How do we get them from Europe to here and what will it cost?
3. Where do we settle them?
4. Should these Syrians take priority over those who have been in the refugee camps longer than they have who also want a better life perhaps in Canada.
post 41 answered your questions

Now what would Be your answers to 1-4 FL?
Old Sep 11th 2015, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
yeah I suppose & you did not directly answer the points questions 1 to 4 either

On the 'we could' points above - outside of the humanitarian aspect, what about the cost?

So you reckon more money needs to be found [from the taxpayer] should Canada agree to take in these new lot of refugees, all the while a $28 billion dollar or so in interest payments towards the national debt, which equates to a $17,000 per head on every Canadian, increasing by the minute & the government wants to put the extra load on us .... its nuts IMO

Canada's National Debt Clock : The Canadian Taxpayers Federation

From the annual budget there is $20 billion + of the budget that goes to defense, another $3 billion or so to foreign aid, while the welfare of Canadians is lacking & the poverty in Canada is way too high. I guess every day Canadians are not so important to the folks in Ottawa eh!

Charity begins at home. Take care of your own before thinking of giving to outsiders
Finally the penny drops and someone is starting to get it.
Trudeau has asked for 100 million the others haven't said their figures.
Every province is mired in debt and if you look back over the 2 threads I have pointed out this fact and what will the cost be if we accept 5,000 or 100,000.
Even in this thread I was challenged about looking after our own.
I have also repeated many times I don't have all the answers so I used the answers as a measure to see the reaction and straight away you took the bait so to speak.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
So to prevent this happening many innocent people will remain homeless. Seems fair, not likely to drive angry, insulted, tormented people towards an extremist group promises them what they want to hear it's a self fulfilling prophecy.
Originally Posted by Tirytory
I absolutely agree... What better way is there to create terrorists than for human kind to turn their back on them?
I think the fact that a lot of these terrorists seem to have come from Britain, one of the most tolerant pc countries in the world, proves that your leftie mollycoddling ideas bare no positive influence over these type of people & seem to have the opposite effect
Old Sep 11th 2015, 11:56 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

4. Should these Syrians take priority over those who have been in the refugee camps longer than they have who also want a better life perhaps in Canada.

Finally the penny drops and someone is starting to get it.

Trudeau has asked for 100 million the others haven't said their figures.
Every province is mired in debt and if you look back over the 2 threads I have pointed out this fact and what will the cost be if we accept 5,000 or 100,000.
Even in this thread I was challenged about looking after our own.

I have also repeated many times I don't have all the answers so I used the answers as a measure to see the reaction and straight away you took the bait so to speak.
At times 'you talk out of your cap'. Bloody nonsense FL about 'taking the bait'. Its a discussion forum, sensible or not, you posed & asked for comments. There has been some discussion & you have posted that 'you dont have the answers'

Still waiting for your direct reponse to your own question on those points 1 - 4. Come on lad, you can do it even if you are a government employee

Last edited by not2old; Sep 11th 2015 at 11:59 am. Reason: edited
Old Sep 11th 2015, 12:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
I think the fact that a lot of these terrorists seem to have come from Britain
Just did some googling. Allowing that the Daily Mail tends to exaggerate these things, they report that one in four foreign fighters are British. That's not one in four of the total, that's one in four of the foreign ones. 500 in 2000.

CIA estimates in 2014 had up to 31,000 ISIS, with other estimates up to 100,000.

Is 500 really a lot in the context of those figures, even if not exaggerated?
Old Sep 11th 2015, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Just did some googling. Allowing that the Daily Mail tends to exaggerate these things, they report that one in four foreign fighters are British. That's not one in four of the total, that's one in four of the foreign ones. 500 in 2000.

CIA estimates in 2014 had up to 31,000 ISIS, with other estimates up to 100,000.

Is 500 really a lot in the context of those figures, even if not exaggerated?
Also googled it, if you get past the DM article others are saying 1500/2000+. No one knows the exact numbers. I stand by my 'a lot' statement, even if it's 500 that's still a lot of disgruntled western hating people who have the right to live amongst us considering the damage just one can do.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 12:50 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I think the fact that a lot of these terrorists seem to have come from Britain, one of the most tolerant pc countries in the world, proves that your leftie mollycoddling ideas bare no positive influence over these type of people & seem to have the opposite effect
The UK is PC and Tolerant? Bahaha

I don't think so. The UK is heading towards far right wing nazi policy.. I'd love to see your figures for your British terrorists.. Go on I dare you, demonstrate "a lot"...

One of my husband's frontline reception staff for a GP surgery in the UK just had a Facebook post taken down for inciting hatred against immigrants. That's nice, pc and tolerant isn't it?

What exactly is Molly coddling about wanting to save people's lives?
Old Sep 11th 2015, 12:52 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Also googled it, if you get past the DM article others are saying 1500/2000+. No one knows the exact numbers. I stand by my 'a lot' statement, even if it's 500 that's still a lot of disgruntled western hating people who have the right to live amongst us considering the damage just one can do.
Apparently you get the right to live amongst us too- what did you do to deserve that? Oh yes you were born. In a country. That isn't trying to kill you. Lucky you.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 1:04 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Wow some reading this thread may think Im the cause of the Syrian refugee crisis and only choose to comment against my views in select areas as opposed to my views as a whole. I have made my point very very clear and in case its not sinking in I shall repeat it

I have no problems in the Syrian refugees who have registered with the UNHRC and are currently in refugee camps in various countries being accepted by Canada but I don't think we will be accepting the 4 yes 4 million who have registered. We also have a duty to help our own citizens who are in need as well and how I help others is my business not yours.
For all those who want to help then feel free to do so but for all the ones stating we must do this and do that then feel free to answer the following questions if you have the guts or answers because I certainly don't have them answers that is.

These figures are taken from the UNHCRs website

Number of forcibly displaced worldwide: 59.5 million
Number of Refugees
There were 19.5 million refugees worldwide at the end of 2014, 14.4 million under the mandate of UNHCR, around 2.9 million more than in 2013.
The other 5.1 million Palestinian refugees are registered with the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA).
UNHCR:Facts and Figures on Refugees

Rather than venting your frustration on me vent in on others as Im not the cause.
And depending on the mugging situation I would either call the Police or if circumstances allowed intervene and subdue the mugger by any means necessary
is that a sufficient answer.
I hope to read some valid answers and carefully thought out plans to my questions posed above.
I don't know the answers, how could I? What I am prepared to say is we would pay more taxes, and/or sponsor a family? There is a place in Toronto I have emailed about sponsorship. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Canada has plenty of room for migrants and neither needs to rule each other out. My husband and our family gets to stay and pays enormous sums of tax and contributes to society by virtue of his job. Why shouldn't our positive net effect for Canada be used to help another family who don't have the same fortune as us?
Old Sep 11th 2015, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

At times 'you talk out of your cap'. Bloody nonsense FL about 'taking the bait'. Its a discussion forum, sensible or not, you posed & asked for comments. There has been some discussion & you have posted that 'you dont have the answers'

Still waiting for your direct reponse to your own question on those points 1 - 4. Come on lad, you can do it even if you are a government employee
Have you taken the IELTS or CELIP tests yet as if you had you would see the answers to 3 of the questions I posed. So for your benefit AGAIN here they are

1. 65,000 with 5,000 going to each province and territory so that answers question 3

4. The 65,000 are to be selected from those in the UNHCR refugee camps who have already been allegedly screened and deemed convention refugees.

As for question 2 this is the tricky one. Several provinces have indicated they will accept 5,000 so the premiers of these provinces have this figure worked out but I have yet to see it. Seeing that over 30% are supporting Justin becoming the next PM and want him in power Justin has asked for 100 million so lets go with that figure.

There satisfied now?
Old Sep 11th 2015, 1:21 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Have you taken the IELTS or CELIP tests yet as if you had you would see the answers to 3 of the questions I posed. So for your benefit AGAIN here they are

1. 65,000 with 5,000 going to each province and territory so that answers question 3

4. The 65,000 are to be selected from those in the UNHCR refugee camps who have already been allegedly screened and deemed convention refugees.

As for question 2 this is the tricky one. Several provinces have indicated they will accept 5,000 so the premiers of these provinces have this figure worked out but I have yet to see it. Seeing that over 30% are supporting Justin becoming the next PM and want him in power Justin has asked for 100 million so lets go with that figure.

There satisfied now?
I dod not miss or blink on what you posted in your post 43 you said "from some of the reports I have been reading"

you never gave your own personal ansrwers to the questions, so come on & answer them as you see them the way you asked them 1-4

From some of the reports I have been reading Provinces are willing to accept 5000 so with 10 provinces and 3 territories lets start with 65,000 (5000 each).

We could lobby the private sector transportation companies like Air Canada, BA, Lufthansa, Norwegian Cruise Lines to supply aircraft and ships to get them to Canada. Im sure they wouldn't charge us.

We then revert back to the other 60 million displaced people around the world to see what we can do to help them.

Each Province can then raise its Provincial Tax rate by 1% and the funds could be used to offset the costs to settling these people. Those without a sales tax would impose a temporary rate of 1% until these people have integrated into society and are now becoming productive members i.e. working themselves and paying taxes etc.

If the 1% sales tax is insufficient then the Feds can raise the GST by 1% for a defined period.

Last edited by not2old; Sep 11th 2015 at 1:36 pm. Reason: added to the post
Old Sep 11th 2015, 1:24 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Apparently you get the right to live amongst us too- what did you do to deserve that?

Oh yes you were born. In a country. That isn't trying to kill you. Lucky you.
bloody right we do.

So why does Canada need to take taxpayer dollars to help others outside of Canada when there are issues here to fix?
Old Sep 11th 2015, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

The UK is PC and Tolerant? Bahaha

Yes it is, try being gay or Christian in one of these other countries & see how far you get. As much as people like you like to paint the majority of us as racists bigots it's simply not true.

I don't think so. The UK is heading towards far right wing nazi policy.. I'd love to see your figures for your British terrorists.. Go on I dare you, demonstrate "a lot"...

I already did, 500/1500/2000+?, these people are British

One of my husband's frontline reception staff for a GP surgery in the UK just had a Facebook post taken down for inciting hatred against immigrants. That's nice, pc and tolerant isn't it?

The post being taken down is an example of how pc we are. No doubt she will probably be fired or at least reprimanded in yet another example of our pc'ness

What exactly is Molly coddling about wanting to save people's lives?

Saving lives is fine, the mollycoddling comes after when you bow down to every whim & put their needs/culture/beliefs above the natives creating a hostile 'them & us' environment from both sides instead of an integrated/equal one.
Apparently you get the right to live amongst us too- what did you do to deserve that? Oh yes you were born. In a country. That isn't trying to kill you. Lucky you.

Haha, as usual you missed my point. I was referring to British terrorists living amongst us who were also fortunate enough to be born in a country that isn't trying to kill them, however not being contempt with that feel the need to cause death & destruction somewhere else.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I dod not miss or blink on what you posted in your post 43 you said "from some of the reports I have been reading"

you never gave your own personal ansrwers to the questions, so come on & answer them as you see them the way you asked them 1-4
Surely as I am employed as a Govt worker how dare you suggest that I have the individual intelligence to come up with an answer to the 4 questions on my own.
Im trained to do and not ask questions that are above my pay grade and intellectual abilities.

Looking at the debt clock a few seconds ago it showed this amount
Canada's Federal Debt today
Canada's National Debt Clock : The Canadian Taxpayers Federation

My share as an individual is $17,266.14. I have just checked my bank account and my accounts are showing positive but then I see this pesky thing called a mortgage and its telling me I owe them money but I can repay it back with interest over X amount of years.

I believe you are an engineer of some type can't you build something to bring those refugees over? You must have been to University and got a degree which I chose not to go to so you are far much better qualified than I to come up with my answers.
Even if I was well educated because I don't speak French if I chose to run for office I could never be the PM or high ranking cabinet minister due to my language skills.
So please bear with me Im doing the best that I can just to be a better man.

That last line sounds like lyrics to a song but I can't remember who did it Ah now I remember the Soul Attorneys Lord knows what Id do

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Sep 11th 2015 at 2:00 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:00 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe there aren't enough lefty Molly coddling ways as they are outnumbered by right wing xenophobic intolerant uncompassionate ways.

"The right to live among us". Being born and raised in Britain makes them us. Maybe if they had felt more included they wouldn't feel disgruntled. Have you considered that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.