Stewing Hen

Old Sep 23rd 2016, 7:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stewing Hen

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The intense heat of the oil will develop additional flavour, carmelizing any sugars and the searing the surface
I can see the difference for a normal casserole but for this it likely gets cancelled out by the 6+ hour slow cooking process doesn't it.
, otherwise you will effectively have boiled onion and boiled mushrooms in your stew.
Which is perfectly okay.

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
...I don't have a slow cooker, so all these before-throwing-it-all-in-the-oven steps are done in the same ancient enamelled cast-iron casserole which then gets the lid put on and goes in the oven. Otherwise you'll have an extra pan to wash up... unless your slow cooker vessel goes on the hob? Somehow that sounds unlikely
It might, but it's the wrong shape.

That said, isn't that one cast-iron casserole used for frying and then the rest of the cooking part a lot harder to clean than a briefly used pan and a nice glazed slow-cooker pot?

This reminds me of one of Stuart McLean's stories where he talks about one of those flame orange cooking pots from France...a Dutch oven.

I've done the whole thing in one a couple of times - browning in flour and all the rest and then the cooking - for beef in beer/guinness. Came out brilliantly both times but for one of them it was a real bugger to clean.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 8:09 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I can see the difference for a normal casserole but for this it likely gets cancelled out by the 6+ hour slow cooking process doesn't it.

Which is perfectly okay.

It might, but it's the wrong shape.

That said, isn't that one cast-iron casserole used for frying and then the rest of the cooking part a lot harder to clean than a briefly used pan and a nice glazed slow-cooker pot?

This reminds me of one of Stuart McLean's stories where he talks about one of those flame orange cooking pots from France...a Dutch oven.

I've done the whole thing in one a couple of times - browning in flour and all the rest and then the cooking - for beef in beer/guinness. Came out brilliantly both times but for one of them it was a real bugger to clean.
Nothing that an overnight soak won't deal with. I can't refer to them as Dutch ovens - that's an American term and my enamelled-cast-iron casseroles are French

They're both Le Creuset things, one bigger than the other, that were bought as factory seconds from the UK distributor's warehouse in Andover about 30 years ago; even as seconds my then-girlfriend thought they were a hideous extravagance, but they've outlasted her by more than a quarter century! They are that classic flame orange colour on the outside, and cream-coloured enamel on the inside. The larger one comes camping with us and is frequently used for cooking on a campfire - but still cleaning is easy enough even with all the soot on the outside and burnt-on food on the inside, as the enamel is smooth and shiny and whichever offspring is tasked with cleaning it can use steel scourers if necessary.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 8:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I can see the difference for a normal casserole but for this it likely gets cancelled out by the 6+ hour slow cooking process doesn't it. .....
Mrs P browns or sautées everything that goes into the slowcooker or stew pot, with the exception of potatoes.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 10:24 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

If you brown the pieces first it won't look like you scared it to death.

Diner: "Waiter, can you please tell me how you prepare your chicken?"
Waiter: "Oh nothing special, we just tell them they're going to die."
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 10:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...Le Creuset things...They are that classic flame orange colour on the outside, and cream-coloured enamel on the inside....
That's it The one I used is my mother in laws. She had it in 1968 apparently.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 1:15 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I like cooking things slowly in the Le Creuset, in the oven, or on the BBQ, but can't abide food cooked in an electric slow cooker. The texture is weird. The sauce may taste good but the meat gas had all the flavour ripped out and veggies taste canned
Old Sep 24th 2016, 3:13 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I like cooking things slowly in the Le Creuset, in the oven, or on the BBQ, but can't abide food cooked in an electric slow cooker. The texture is weird. The sauce may taste good but the meat gas had all the flavour ripped out and veggies taste canned
Hmmm... This seems a bit like witchcraft to me. Apparently electric slow cooker heat is a different type of heat to electric oven heat or gas bbq heat, especially when the food is separated from the heat source by a cast iron enclosure.

When I went to school all different types of heat were transferred by radiation, convection and conduction and the contents of the pots don't recognise the source, perhaps rubbing two sticks together heat would produce even better cooking, it would certainly be less convenient.

The only difference that I can see, is that the lid is not heated with the slow cooker, and may not be heated on the bbq, but this might not be an issue where a casserole is concerned.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 12:09 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Hmmm... This seems a bit like witchcraft to me. Apparently electric slow cooker heat is a different type of heat to electric oven heat or gas bbq heat, especially when the food is separated from the heat source by a cast iron enclosure.

When I went to school all different types of heat were transferred by radiation, convection and conduction and the contents of the pots don't recognise the source, perhaps rubbing two sticks together heat would produce even better cooking, it would certainly be less convenient.

The only difference that I can see, is that the lid is not heated with the slow cooker, and may not be heated on the bbq, but this might not be an issue where a casserole is concerned.

I know, I know. But I can taste a difference. There's a difference in food that comes out of cans though so maybe a slow cooker is really a can.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 2:32 am
Oscar nominated

...throw that and the chicken into the crock pot with about a third of a bottle of red...
After my old 'reliables' stopped being reliable, I went through a phase wondering if I'd ever like wine again as I kept trying different ones and never finishing a bottle.

But at least that meant there was always plenty for cooking.

Ever since I discovered my new best friend Kim Crawford (lovely Pinot Noir, if a tad expensive at $25 a bottle, a decent Chardonnay for $20) and found out how nicely almost any Rosé went with a Thai Red Curry, there's never a drop left so there's not been any to cook with or even to splash into a gravy.

So I took a ten minute walk to the local NB liquor store today to get something cheap. A Canadian wine - Naked Grape Cab/Sauv.
$10.29 so I won't feel like I'm wasting anything good now.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 3:21 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

My pans

And a kettle that I had sat on my Aga - yeah yeah, Hunter Wellies, Waitrose, etc
I'm so pretentious

Attached Thumbnails Stewing Hen-20160924_201300.jpg  
Old Sep 25th 2016, 5:34 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
My pans

And a kettle that I had sat on my Aga - yeah yeah, Hunter Wellies, Waitrose, etc
I'm so pretentious
I'd like to join the club but orange doesn't go with mega vindy, gut wrenching, hospital stay inducing, bowel dissolving, basin cracking, lager defeating curries.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 5:38 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to join the club but orange doesn't go with mega vindy, gut wrenching, hospital stay inducing, bowel dissolving, basin cracking, lager defeating curries.
Oh dear lawd Dave, you masochist! You will need a cast iron constitution as well as cast iron cookware

This might be a more suitable colour
Attached Thumbnails Stewing Hen-image.jpeg  
Old Sep 25th 2016, 5:46 am
Listen to the Music

Oh dear lawd Dave, you masochist! You will need a cast iron constitution as well as cast iron cookware:
Might do the job, but is it ingested intravenously, or is it taken by suppository?
Old Sep 25th 2016, 5:59 am
I need a walk

Might do the job, but is it ingested intravenously, or is it taken by suppository?
Thankfully I will never know- I like most foods but not curries
Old Sep 25th 2016, 6:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I take it you did not buy those in Canada?

I've never seen pans like that before.

My pans

I'm so pretentious

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.