Stewing Hen

Old Sep 23rd 2016, 11:56 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stewing Hen

My local shop is selling Stewing Hens this week.

I thought I might get one and bung it in the slow cooker. But is there any part of it that might cook like a 'normal' chicken?

I know I roasted one once and some of it was okay but I can't remember what the some was.

Anyone got any tips?
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 1:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stewing Hen

Originally Posted by BristolUK
.... Anyone got any tips?
Coq au vin! You can't make a proper coq au vin with a chicken, it will fall apart while cooking.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 1:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Coq au vin! You can't make a proper coq au vin with a chicken, it will fall apart while cooking.
You can using this.

Old Sep 23rd 2016, 6:00 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely. Needs an old broiler hen or cockerel to be properly authentic. Any of those classic French casserole recipes would work well with a stewing hen - Chasseur being another one of my favourites.

As with any older, tougher, animal like mutton or goat, a stewing hen benefits from being cooked low and slow. If you have a slow cooker, that's perfect... fry up some onions, garlic, mushrooms and a rasher or two of chopped bacon, throw that and the chicken into the crock pot with about a third of a bottle of red, some herbs (rosemary, thyme, a bay leaf maybe) and leave it to do its thing for a few hours. You can joint the chicken first if you like, or put it in whole. Thicken the sauce with cornflour near the end of cooking if it needs it. Mmmm, hungry now...
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 6:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Absolutely. Needs an old broiler hen or cockerel to be properly authentic. Any of those classic French casserole recipes would work well with a stewing hen - Chasseur being another one of my favourites.

As with any older, tougher, animal like mutton or goat, a stewing hen benefits from being cooked low and slow. If you have a slow cooker, that's perfect... fry up some onions, garlic, mushrooms and a rasher or two of chopped bacon, throw that and the chicken into the crock pot with about a third of a bottle of red, some herbs (rosemary, thyme, a bay leaf maybe) and leave it to do its thing for a few hours. You can joint the chicken first if you like, or put it in whole. Thicken the sauce with cornflour near the end of cooking if it needs it. .....
Damn that sounds good!

It's still a long time until dinner, and in any case what I will be throwing together won't be half as good as that.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 6:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Damn that sounds good!

It's still a long time until dinner, and in any case what I will be throwing together won't be half as good as that.
This thread is putting lives in danger. The lives of my older, no longer laying, hens.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
This thread is putting lives in danger. The lives of my older, no longer laying, hens.
Building a hen house and keeping chickens is one of my "one day" projects. I have the space, and some of the timber, I just need the time to build then hen house, and the time to care for the chickens.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 6:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Building a hen house and keeping chickens is one of my "one day" projects. I have the space, and some of the timber, I just need the time to build then hen house, and the time to care for the chickens.
Time to care is less than five minutes a day + half an hour to clean the coop whenever conscience dictates; quarterly in my case. After years of eggs from the garden, and selling eggs from the garden, I'm perplexed at anyone not keeping chickens.

It makes me chuckle when, on Escape to the Country, people say they hope to keep chickens; it's not a complex enterprise like, say, keeping a cat, and the benefit in terms of egg quality is huge.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 6:31 pm

Time to care is less than five minutes a day + half an hour to clean the coop whenever conscience dictates; quarterly in my case. After years of eggs from the garden, and selling eggs from the garden, I'm perplexed at anyone not keeping chickens.

It makes me chuckle when, on Escape to the Country, people say they hope to keep chickens; it's not a complex enterprise like, say, keeping a cat, and the benefit in terms of egg quality is huge.
That's certainly encouraging, but unfortunately my problem is "being there every day" as my ongoing travel commitments currently make that impossible. And I don't currently have a neighbour I would trust with frequent requests to care for "the girls".
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 6:49 pm
Oscar nominated

...After years of eggs from the garden, and selling eggs from the garden, I'm perplexed at anyone not keeping chickens...
If everyone kept them for eggs who would you sell eggs to?
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 6:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

That's certainly encouraging, but unfortunately my problem is "being there every day" as my ongoing travel commitments currently make that impossible. And I don't currently have a neighbour I would trust with frequent requests to care for "the girls".
Ah yes, pre-WebEx I could not have had chickens, dogs or horses. In those days I had to make do with children and cats.

For future reference, good advice here:

Raising BackYard Chickens, Build a Chicken Coop, Pictures of Breeds
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 6:50 pm

Ah yes, pre-WebEx I could not have had chickens, dogs or horses. In those days I had to make do with children and cats.

For future reference, good advice here:

Raising BackYard Chickens, Build a Chicken Coop, Pictures of Breeds
Thank you. I shall read that, jealously, and bookmark it for reference.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 6:55 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
...If you have a slow cooker, that's perfect... fry up some onions, garlic, mushrooms and a rasher or two of chopped bacon, throw that and the chicken into the crock pot with about a third of a bottle of red, some herbs (rosemary, thyme, a bay leaf maybe) and leave it to do its thing for a few hours. ..
That's fairly close to what I was intending. Any particular reason for frying and adding onions etc rather than just having them cook with everything else?

When I first starting seeing these things their price was considerably less than ordinary chicken. These are $1.69lb and considering there have been a few $1.99lb offers on chicken lately (I bought two a week ago) it doesn't seem that great a price.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK
.... Any particular reason for frying and adding onions etc rather than just having them cook with everything else? ....
The intense heat of the oil will develop additional flavour, carmelizing any sugars and the searing the surface, otherwise you will effectively have boiled onion and boiled mushrooms in your stew.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 7:43 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

The intense heat of the oil will develop additional flavour, carmelizing any sugars and the searing the surface, otherwise you will effectively have boiled onion and boiled mushrooms in your stew.
Wot 'e said. Also, if you joint the chicken instead of cooking it whole, you might want to flour the jointed pieces and brown them a bit first, too. I don't have a slow cooker, so all these before-throwing-it-all-in-the-oven steps are done in the same ancient enamelled cast-iron casserole which then gets the lid put on and goes in the oven. Otherwise you'll have an extra pan to wash up... unless your slow cooker vessel goes on the hob? Somehow that sounds unlikely

edited to add: it's chemistry, innit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction explains what's going on and why it's important to brown casserole ingredients

Last edited by Oakvillian; Sep 23rd 2016 at 7:45 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.