Some updates.

Old Apr 28th 2018, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some updates.

We originally looked in the Marpole area however at the time we did not find anything available and as we had a short time to find a place we had to take what was available and who would approve us.

As you know the vacancy rate is very low in Vancouver.

We are in a lease so have to wait a few more months.

Ends in August and we have the option to move or renew but no option to go month to month.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 28th 2018 at 11:54 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2018, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
No. Just cognitive as its the only one that has ever been offered at mental health and while it had some benefits its not the best option.
You can do EFT on your own. Check it out on YouTube. I’ve used it before and it’s unbelievably effective.
They came up with it to treat veterans from Vietnam who had PTSD.
Old Apr 29th 2018, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

We originally looked in the Marpole area however at the time we did not find anything available and as we had a short time to find a place we had to take what was available and who would approve us.

As you know the vacancy rate is very low in Vancouver.

We are in a lease so have to wait a few more months.

Ends in August and we have the option to move or renew but no option to go month to month.

Which is why I might suggest that you start trawling through this area in June/July ............. students have left, new ones haven't yet arrived.

Please don't say that you are on one of those 1 year by 1 year leases?

I thought those were now illegal because of the fact that landlords were taking the chance to declare each lease "new", and so asking for the huge increase in rent that they can give for a new tenant while tenants-in-residence have much lower annual increases.

Even friends who moved into apartments 2 or 3 years ago on the 1 year lease that then carries on month-by-month are finding they are now paying at least $100 less than new renters
Old Apr 29th 2018, 12:35 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanfdNHill
You can do EFT on your own. Check it out on YouTube. I’ve used it before and it’s unbelievably effective.
PTSD you say. I'll look into that.
Old Apr 29th 2018, 12:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know they just closed the rent increase loophole but fixed term leases are still permitted.

I have not come across a rental in years that did not require a lease. 10 or 11 years since I had a rental that would do month to month.

Anyhow our unit is developer owned in agreement with the city to provide affordable for profit housing so rent is kept lower then it would otherwise be. Rent in this building is a lot higher for those renting from private individual owner.

We are also on BC Housing wait list but that is likely a 10 year wait and some co op wait lists but they are also long waits.

Originally Posted by scilly
Which is why I might suggest that you start trawling through this area in June/July ............. students have left, new ones haven't yet arrived.

Please don't say that you are on one of those 1 year by 1 year leases?

I thought those were now illegal because of the fact that landlords were taking the chance to declare each lease "new", and so asking for the huge increase in rent that they can give for a new tenant while tenants-in-residence have much lower annual increases.

Even friends who moved into apartments 2 or 3 years ago on the 1 year lease that then carries on month-by-month are finding they are now paying at least $100 less than new renters
Old Apr 29th 2018, 2:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I'll take a look in you tube and give it a try.

Originally Posted by BEVS
Nopes J. Nopes. You stay right where you are and finish that shift.
Have a good stomp , cry or whatever about it once work has ended for the day.
Then you set your mind to go back in for the next shift. Yes . You . Do.

I'm so proud of you and how far you have come. Stick with it best you can and just continue to express and offload here.

Hope her indoors is doing better .

M
I was overly annoyed yesterday...lol.. Micromanaging a supervisor does annoys me, I know my job, I know how to do it, my crew has been given tasks and they know what to do, and my record for on time departures is excellent, I have no ramp delays on my record, so the micromanaging is super annoying and one of my biggest annoyances when it comes to employers.

I think also being a good chunk older then just about everyone else, I don't particularly fit in and eh work has in my life the only place I have had to socialize but now that I am old and everyone else young, there really no chance to do that since well the oldie now...lol

The high turn over and constant new people also creates a difficult work situation, more like babysitting then anything...

There was a time when this job had experienced people working and things worked like a well oiled machine, but now its just a high turn over job as there is no real way to move up.

Before when airlines did their own ramp, the opportunities were available to move into all sorts of other jobs so people tended to stay, it was a true entry level job to gain experience in the industry, now its a dead end job like many since outsourcing became the norm.

There was also the whole flight benefit thing that was a valuable work benefit people would stay in the job for.

I get into a rut in jobs once I have gotten as far as I can go and then become frustrated and annoyed and the cycle goes on.
Old Apr 29th 2018, 2:40 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I get into a rut in jobs once I have gotten as far as I can go and then become frustrated and annoyed and the cycle goes on.
Comparatively speaking, it's got to be better than the Dracula night auditor jobs, other than hard on the knees...... I get mad when people who don't care enough cause extra work for me, but I get paid by the hour so I just do it.
Re housing; The people I met and the people I already knew in Vancouver back in the early 80's were mostly stuck in basement suites or expensive apartments for 3 or 4 years before finding the places they wanted. In one case it meant moving from a nice apartment into the Brain Eater's old clubhouse next to a chop shop on Osler St. That one needed more than a lick of paint!
Old Apr 29th 2018, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I'll take a look in you tube and give it a try.

I was overly annoyed yesterday...lol.. Micromanaging a supervisor does annoys me, I know my job, I know how to do it, my crew has been given tasks and they know what to do, and my record for on time departures is excellent, I have no ramp delays on my record, so the micromanaging is super annoying and one of my biggest annoyances when it comes to employers.

I think also being a good chunk older then just about everyone else, I don't particularly fit in and eh work has in my life the only place I have had to socialize but now that I am old and everyone else young, there really no chance to do that since well the oldie now...lol

The high turn over and constant new people also creates a difficult work situation, more like babysitting then anything...

There was a time when this job had experienced people working and things worked like a well oiled machine, but now its just a high turn over job as there is no real way to move up.

Before when airlines did their own ramp, the opportunities were available to move into all sorts of other jobs so people tended to stay, it was a true entry level job to gain experience in the industry, now its a dead end job like many since outsourcing became the norm.

There was also the whole flight benefit thing that was a valuable work benefit people would stay in the job for.

So you must work for the swissports and service airs of this world. Surely there are still opportunities for moving up? Of even moving to another of the handling agents?
Also I know at Pearson they have people in the terminal who need to know how the whole baggage handling works so that would give you a possible entry in to one of those types of positions?
Old Apr 29th 2018, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by caretaker
Comparatively speaking, it's got to be better than the Dracula night auditor jobs, other than hard on the knees...... I get mad when people who don't care enough cause extra work for me, but I get paid by the hour so I just do it.
Re housing; The people I met and the people I already knew in Vancouver back in the early 80's were mostly stuck in basement suites or expensive apartments for 3 or 4 years before finding the places they wanted. In one case it meant moving from a nice apartment into the Brain Eater's old clubhouse next to a chop shop on Osler St. That one needed more than a lick of paint!
Moderately better. Still waking up in the middle of the night.... But I do sleep 6pm to 3:30am or so, sometimes I fall asleep by 5pm...lol

As for owning in Vancouver, not going to happen.... Even a condo needs a near 6 figure income now, burbs are lower but still above our reach.

We can apparently afford $144,164.30 if we had 10% down according to the bank people we spoke to last year.

Prices in that range are doable in parts of BC, but in those areas wages are lower so our income would be lower thus we would not be able to afford as much or would need a larger down payment.

High rent leads to massive instability financially speaking, impossible to save for a rainy day, let alone anything else.
Old Apr 29th 2018, 4:40 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking about renting, most of my friends aren't going to ever own a house there. A couple who spent quite a few years in a little basement suite then found a good house near Kingsway and Vic had it sold out from under them and now rent a basement suite (a fairly decent one) 5 or 6 blocks uphill from Commercial for just slightly less than they were paying for the house.
Old Apr 29th 2018, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

Gotcha.

Originally Posted by caretaker
I was talking about renting, most of my friends aren't going to ever own a house there. A couple who spent quite a few years in a little basement suite then found a good house near Kingsway and Vic had it sold out from under them and now rent a basement suite (a fairly decent one) 5 or 6 blocks uphill from Commercial for just slightly less than they were paying for the house.
Old Apr 29th 2018, 10:16 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I was overly annoyed yesterday...lol..
Yup. I rather got that impression mister.

I agree. Jobsworths are annoying. A good manager delegates & does their own job, not someone else's. Try not to crunch his ears for him for he is nothing but a lad & one day he too will be an oldie.

Meanwhile you carry on doing what you are doing.
Old May 11th 2018, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

The long days I think are getting to me along with the chronic back and knee pain. I am looking for a more part-time job at the airport, hopefully I can find one. For my mental health, I need shorter days, 5-6 hour time frame instead of 10-12 hour time frame.

Working longer days actually ends up hurting us financially as well, because of how disability program works.

Originally Posted by BEVS
Yup. I rather got that impression mister.

I agree. Jobsworths are annoying. A good manager delegates & does their own job, not someone else's. Try not to crunch his ears for him for he is nothing but a lad & one day he too will be an oldie.

Meanwhile you carry on doing what you are doing.
Old May 12th 2018, 8:23 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Jsmith - everybody, but everybody, has their own problems and crosses to bear - do not think it's just you, and for goodness sake, please change your signature - a declared defeatist attitude doesn't help anything.

I've no idea what I can do, but I promise you one thing... if you ever feel at a loss, send me a PM and I will reply. BE is a pretty good community, you should appreciate that you are part of an odd little family. You are NOT alone.
Old May 12th 2018, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

I had a break down today and quit my job. I cannot handle the long days and stress and everything has been crumbling slowly the past few months and despite trying its all caught up to me and came down big today.

I did the best I could and tried to handle everything on my own and deal with the stresses but a person can only handle so much before they simply cannot handle anymore.

We did call the AAC which is the access and assessment center for mental health, however there is little they can offer, which is what I already knew since there is really no services available for borderline treatment in the public health system, and until that changes people like me who cannot financially afford private treatment will simply continue to struggle and fall through the cracks.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 12th 2018 at 8:39 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.