Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

PROPERTY VALUES AND INCOMES REQUIRED.

PROPERTY VALUES AND INCOMES REQUIRED.

Old Dec 18th 2015, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PROPERTY VALUES AND INCOMES REQUIRED.

Originally Posted by vanity
This is my experience, 1 year has pushed me out 15 KM - it's INSANE

Sorry to whinge but it is insane, IMHO
You're not whinging buddy, simply being realistic, like I was.
Old Dec 18th 2015, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone heard how BoC suggested negative rates is an option?

That is not going to help any of our "wishes"
Old Dec 18th 2015, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vanity
Has anyone heard how BoC suggested negative rates is an option?

That is not going to help any of our "wishes"
lol, I have read this too. It just means that we won't get interest on our savings (in fact may have to pay the bank for having our money there)

Mortgage interest rates would also come down a bit, but this leads to the risk of people maxing out now and then being crucified when the rates go back up again. I would always recommend building in some breathing space when getting a mortgage (I took a mortgage of about 3/4 of what I could have got).
Old Dec 18th 2015, 6:44 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The just move thing is annoying. We would move but that takea money ans of course jobs before moving but when your not skilled its generally not possible to get a job prior to moving. Employers have no reason to consider an out of town applicant.

Plus wifes job is here and she enjoys her job and rent is no cheaper elsewhere in the LM so why move?
On those points JS, discussed previously your situation is one of healthcare subsidy for your wife, jobs & affordability.

On another thread suggestions made was for you to look at other parts of the country such as New Brunswick where property (duplex or triplex) could be bought for less than $150k.

This one for $100k

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...unswick-E1C6B1

Given that a 5 year variable mortgage is in the 2% range, that with a small deposit you'd be able to afford your own place, supplemented income from renting one half of the duplex to pay in part the mortgage, property taxes & maintenance. Maybe a higher interest rate mortgage along the lines of a CHMC insured mortgage or cash back 100% mortgage may work for you also?

Condo IMO is not the way to go given all of the issues & the add-on costs
Old Dec 18th 2015, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eddmac
lol, I have read this too. It just means that we won't get interest on our savings (in fact may have to pay the bank for having our money there)

Mortgage interest rates would also come down a bit, but this leads to the risk of people maxing out now and then being crucified when the rates go back up again. I would always recommend building in some breathing space when getting a mortgage (I took a mortgage of about 3/4 of what I could have got).
Looks like Canadian economy might really be in doldrums next year
Old Dec 18th 2015, 7:28 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
I know people who've been waiting over ten years for a crash in the UK so they could buy a decent place to live. Governments can follow insane policies for much longer than most people can afford to hold out.
Were they asleep 7 years ago (2008)...prices were down 20%.
Old Dec 18th 2015, 8:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eddmac

I know other regions are cheaper, the issue is our income will decrease a great deal in Atlantic Canada or any province since each province has different rules and benefits for disability and still working on if we could survive and be any better off.

BC is pretty generous to the disabled compared to the other provinces, and while she is in remission right now, it's a cycle, and it's only a matter of time before she relapses and goes manic again, and that takes her out of commission on average for 6 months to 1 year work wise.

No matter what we do, we are still 3-5 years, so plenty of time to research and see if it's doable, it's just not easy to obtain information as provinces just can't tell you much without applying first, and well you can't apply for services until a resident of the new province, which does make planning a head difficult.

Bristol has sent a lot of info that has really helped, and it's all a work in progress. Nothing has been ruled out. We are taking a conservative approach and not rushing into anything.

Just have to figure out worst case scenario if we lose her income completely, if we could live off 11-12/hr average which seems to be the going rate for most of the jobs I could get from looking online at various job websites.
Old Dec 18th 2015, 8:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Were they asleep 7 years ago (2008)...prices were down 20%.
How high were they though? A 20% in say Vancouver would still leave house prices insanely high. A 50% drop would still be averaging 500,000.
Old Dec 18th 2015, 9:07 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
How high were they though? A 20% in say Vancouver would still leave house prices insanely high. A 50% drop would still be averaging 500,000.
Say £400K ($800K) back then. 50% drops are not going to happen.
Old Dec 18th 2015, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shard
Say £400K ($800K) back then. 50% drops are not going to happen.
I agree it won't. Just even with so called crashes, some places have such high prices that even with the "crash" prices are still out of this world.