Phone-Internet-TV

Old May 12th 2015, 7:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phone-Internet-TV

We pay 120 a month for internet + cable.

Dumping cable would save very little since we would have to upgrade to a more pricey internet to have more data to stream more, so the savings in the end was not enough to dump it.

We tried to got to Telus as they do have better pricing, but they wanted a deposit and I am not going to pay them a deposit when they have no actual reason why they need it, shaw doesn't, BC hydro doesn't, Virgin doesn't, so if all these companies don't want one, Telus needed a better answer then just, well sometimes one is needed. Not good enough if I am going to fork over 400 dollars for no apparent reason other then, its just how we do it, and on top of that no free gift and a contract, so we opted not to change.

I looked into cheaper internet options, but they all seemed to need a phone line, which means no savings since we would have to go and get a phone line and phone line + internet from other company = same as we pay now.

These companies have figured out how to get you so there isn't any real way of saving much by dumping cable.
Old May 12th 2015, 11:23 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Not good enough if I am going to fork over 400 dollars for no apparent reason other then, its just how we do it
Ha...the old "it's the way it is"...you can tell you're not Canadian
Old May 12th 2015, 11:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Ha...the old "it's the way it is"...you can tell you're not Canadian
In the long run it probably hurts Telus more then it helps by turning potentially new customers off and never getting their business. I for one will never consider Telus again for anything.

As big a fiasco it was just to get to that point (days and many phone calls) I am glad deep down it didn't work out, if the service is that bad just to become a customer, I don't want to experience it once locked into a contract.

I am happy with Shaw service, I just don't like their inflated internet prices,
Old May 12th 2015, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

BC Hydro are supposed to credit check new customers with no BCHydro history or take a deposit.

They didn't take one off us 'because the house we were moving to had such a low electricity consumption'. That was because it was a new house that had been empty for over 12 months.... Doh!

Fortis insisted on a deposit of $325 because didn't want them to reduce my credit score by doing a check (I had only been in Canada for 3 months) and getting that back off them after 12 months was a long drawn out process full of excuses....

Telus credit checked me even though I told them they would find no credit history. They put me on hold and came back 2 minutes later and told me that I had no credit history....but then didn't charge me a deposit either.
Old May 12th 2015, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by withabix
BC Hydro are supposed to credit check new customers with no BCHydro history or take a deposit.

They didn't take one off us 'because the house we were moving to had such a low electricity consumption'. That was because it was a new house that had been empty for over 12 months.... Doh!

Fortis insisted on a deposit of $325 because didn't want them to reduce my credit score by doing a check (I had only been in Canada for 3 months) and getting that back off them after 12 months was a long drawn out process full of excuses....

Telus credit checked me even though I told them they would find no credit history. They put me on hold and came back 2 minutes later and told me that I had no credit history....but then didn't charge me a deposit either.
Back in the old say's 2004, BC Hydro didn't seem to care about deposits, they didn't ask me for one anyhow, and never have since.

Never had the need for natural gas so dunno there.

Virgin (bell) and Wind Mobile have never asked for a deposit at any point. nor Fido and Rogers.

Just Telus, so they don't get me as a customer, better use for money the to let Telus sit on it...
Old May 12th 2015, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
We pay $200ish for Bell Fibreop internet (80/30' unlimited)' TV and phone. I keep meaning to drop the tv because we hardly use it and can get most of what we want through Netflix and the web. I'm also tempted by the Rogers $99 deal but I've had Rogers before and they sucked. Bell Aliants Fibreop internet is just too darn good to give up.
Funny how opinions can be different - you only stay a couple of miles from me - I cant stand Bell after a couple of run ins and quite like Rogers - My internet is now up over 50 mbs down and 5 up unlimited - cant complain at that at all - Allegedly if you are that type of person you can download a move in less than a minute
Old May 12th 2015, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

We dropped the TV and landline a few years ago, and have never looked back.
I watch everything on demand, either by torrents, or from sites such as Netflix.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 5:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm making the change.

The new deal is TV/Internet/Phone for $109 monthly and it's for three years, not one. That's actually less than just internet/phone.
I do have to pay $12 for second and third receivers but the new amount is $40 less than I pay right now to two providers and it gets all the channels back that were cut when I halved the previous TV bill.

For the TV company to have matched this, they'd have needed to put our package back to the $100 we used to pay and only charge $10 a month for it. For three years. And promise that a bit of rain or other change in atmospheric conditions wouldn't cause loss of TV reception.

Of course, now that we're changing, something will go wrong.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 6:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

I went back to fibre op at the home show 2 years ago. 99 a month for the middle package 3 year fix. I pay extra 15 for sportsnet world.

I have found with bell if you kick up enough of a fuss and stick to your guns they will eventually come around.

When I moved over to Riverview they wanted to charge me to move. I told that that I didnt want to pay the 80 odd fee as I was an existing customer and that I would rather give them 1400 dollars. The girl on the phone didnt understand. Its very simple. You can try to take 80 off me or I will cancel and you will lose 1400 a year in lost business, go ask your supervisor which one you would prefer......guess what

Last edited by scrubbedexpat133; Aug 31st 2015 at 6:27 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm making the change.

The new deal is TV/Internet/Phone for $109 monthly and it's for three years, not one. That's actually less than just internet/phone.
I do have to pay $12 for second and third receivers but the new amount is $40 less than I pay right now to two providers and it gets all the channels back that were cut when I halved the previous TV bill.

For the TV company to have matched this, they'd have needed to put our package back to the $100 we used to pay and only charge $10 a month for it. For three years. And promise that a bit of rain or other change in atmospheric conditions wouldn't cause loss of TV reception.

Of course, now that we're changing, something will go wrong.
Out of curiosity, what was the previous tv provider? So you're changing to fibre optic tv then... Good... Wish bell would put the cables down where I am so we could have Fibre internet and TV. Rogers internet is very nice (250/20 unlimited @ $80/month) but the whole TV experience is ... Hoping if Bell puts the fibre in soon they will offer some deals for switching over to the new service. I will happily jump my family on and ditch rogers.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 4:56 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Gozit
Out of curiosity, what was the previous tv provider?
ShawDirect...which is different to run-of-the-mill Shaw.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

ShawDirect...which is different to run-of-the-mill Shaw.
Yeah i know what that is, we have it here in ON too. Just more ugly satellite dishes to me (We don't have regular Shaw here either. Used to but they sold this part of the country off to Rogers)

Fibre-op TV/Cable TV for-the-win
Old Sep 1st 2015, 9:22 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Gozit
...Just more ugly satellite dishes to me...
When we bought the house it came with attached dish and the receiver was there too. It was Starchoice equipment back then and as that's what the others had back in Montreal, it seemed sensible to stick with it. Plus their bilingual package gave what was then the best deal for family needs. Then Shaw took over.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

When we bought the house it came with attached dish and the receiver was there too. It was Starchoice equipment back then and as that's what the others had back in Montreal, it seemed sensible to stick with it. Plus their bilingual package gave what was then the best deal for family needs. Then Shaw took over.
Ahh... Makes sense.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

I don't think we have fiber optic, no idea if Shaw does it or not, haven't seen anything anyhow in this area if they do have it.

We have normal Shaw, Telus is the alternative as far as the big companies go, but Telus doesn't want new customers so we stick with Shaw.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.