Income Tax 'season'

Old Feb 19th 2018, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income Tax 'season'

I initially did my return with the company I have always used, but as we had income of 40,065 last year and the cut off for free is 40,000, I would have to pay like $50 so I went to the one that doesn't charge and only suggests you donate something if you like the service.

When I filled out the boxes there the results were far different, so then went to HR Block website and their results were the exact same as the first one.

I have printed the forms and will do it by hand as well to see if I get the same results as the other 2.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 12:22 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I would be happy if I could have the 166 a month that the refund breaks down to during the year vs all at once at tax time.

Just not sure if there is a way to do it. I just do all the standard deductions on the form employer gives but they seem to take way more out then CRA actually wants.
Employers uses CRA tax tables. You may be claiming something more on your T1 return than is covered on a TD1. Look at the TD1 boxes for those that apply and claim them. Be careful when claiming full allowances that something doe snot crop up and you get a tax bill. Not an issue if you have the cash, but a problem maybe of you don't.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 6:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Employers uses CRA tax tables. You may be claiming something more on your T1 return than is covered on a TD1. Look at the TD1 boxes for those that apply and claim them. Be careful when claiming full allowances that something doe snot crop up and you get a tax bill. Not an issue if you have the cash, but a problem maybe of you don't.
It's probably something to do with provincial disability payments. Each year is the same, CRA gives just about everything I had withheld back once those payments are added to the return.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 7:19 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably something to do with provincial disability payments. Each year is the same, CRA gives just about everything I had withheld back once those payments are added to the return.
If you have PWD, do you claim the disability allowance on the TD1 and TD1BC?
Old Feb 26th 2018, 4:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It's Netfile day so I just finished off mine, MIL and stepson.
Attached Thumbnails Income Tax 'season'-cra.jpg  
Old Feb 26th 2018, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's Netfile day so I just finished off mine, MIL and stepson.
Filed and done as well. Now just waiting on refund.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 5:32 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Still waiting on another T4. I probably could work it out from last paystub from last year but it annoys me when they mail them out right at the last second!
Old Feb 27th 2018, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Still waiting on another T4. I probably could work it out from last paystub from last year but it annoys me when they mail them out right at the last second!
That is always annoying. I am not sure why CRA gives employers so much time to send out T4's, they should have to be sent out by Jan 31.

Luckily mine was available online, but if I had to wait for the paper copy, I would still be waiting as the paper copy is still not available.

Have you checked CRA account? My wife's T4 was on her CRA account before it arrived in the mail.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

If you have PWD, do you claim the disability allowance on the TD1 and TD1BC?
No.

On the TD1 it says this:

6. Disability amount – If you will claim the disability amount on your income tax return by using Form T2201, Disability Tax Credit
Certificate, enter $8,235.

So I don't claim it on the TD1, since we cannot claim the disability tax credit as CRA say's she is currently not eligible.

CRA has quite high threshold to meet, being on provincial disability or federal disability benefits doesn't mean one will be approved for the disability tax credit.

She was eligible from 2003 to 2013 however since then CRA has deemed her not eligible.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 5:04 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I just gather all the relevant mail and take the lovely and elegant Trish out to lunch and pass it to her, then in a day or 2 pick up my completed form to mail in and give her $20. I think it's a bargain and really good for my image.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 7:32 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked CRA account? My wife's T4 was on her CRA account before it arrived in the mail.
That was a good idea as I never knew they were on there but alas only one of my three T4s is available online and not the one I need.

I’ll just have to wait
Old Feb 27th 2018, 8:08 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
That was a good idea as I never knew they were on there but alas only one of my three T4s is available online and not the one I need.
I had read about something being available to import from CRA onto the return. I assumed it might only be stuff the gubmint would know, like T4(OAS) but it's ordinary T4s for wages too?
Old Feb 27th 2018, 8:52 pm

Many employers now upload T4 info directly to CRA, which puts it directly into the system. Those that mail them in, CRA have to manually input the data once they receive it.

Not sure why folks get their panties in a knot over getting their T4s and T5s end of February. Being unpaid tax collectors is a of work and takes time.
Taxes don't need to be filed until April 30, so what's the rush?
Old Feb 27th 2018, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

Many employers now upload T4 info directly to CRA, which puts it directly into the system. Those that mail them in, CRA have to manually input the data once they receive it.

Not sure why folks get their panties in a knot over getting their T4s and T5s end of February. Being unpaid tax collectors is a of work and takes time.
Taxes don't need to be filed until April 30, so what's the rush?
To get the money the government owes us back.

I don't like providing interest free loans to CRA.

I also need to file US tax returns so the earlier I can get Canada done, the quicker I can get the US done.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 9:37 pm

To get the money the government owes us back.
I don't like providing interest free loans to CRA.
Me neither, always prefer a tax bill to a tax refund.

For those on lower incomes, this has gone largely unnoticed and is free money.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...efit-witb.html

All the tax documents and reporting takes a lot of time, 8 weeks is not an unreasonable time frame to prepare and check the documentation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.