British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Income Tax 'season' (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/income-tax-season-908976/)

BristolUK Feb 8th 2018 7:32 pm

Income Tax 'season'

I can't believe it's February 8th and nobody has said anything about Income Tax returns yet. :rofl:

plasticcanuck Feb 8th 2018 7:45 pm

Re: Income Tax 'season'

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12437922)
I can't believe it's February 8th and nobody has said anything about Income Tax returns yet. :rofl:

Well I always have to pay so I put off the torture as long as possible. I’ll do them after April1st.

MarkG Feb 8th 2018 9:51 pm

That's because we all wait until the last minute, then panic.

I always throw enough extra into an RRSP to ensure I don't have to pay anything.

JamesM Feb 8th 2018 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12437922)

I'm still answering questions with the CRA to last year's tax return.

Hopefully they leave me alone soon so I can get on and do this year's.

bats Feb 8th 2018 11:57 pm

Ive been swimming in a sea of recipes for the past week.

That's all

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 9th 2018 12:02 am

I am waiting on a form from the province. They never issue it early and if lucky they will by the end of the month.

BristolUK Feb 9th 2018 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12438079)
I am waiting on a form from the province. They never issue it early and if lucky they will by the end of the month.

Can't Netfile until then anyway.

I had a spare two minutes so I did mine earlier. :sneaky:

The free TurboTax option has changed a little but nothing drastic. I thought it was easier - and not just because there's no rental income anymore.

It looks like the $10 option transfers information from the previous one, but there's so little transferred (name, SIN and d/b) that you may as well save a tenner and type it yourself.

Former Lancastrian Feb 9th 2018 9:08 am

Im praying that the T4 my employer is going to be issuing me is not generated on information supplied by the Phoenix pay system otherwise Im ****ed.

Souvy Feb 9th 2018 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12438273)
Im praying that the T4 my employer is going to be issuing me is not generated on information supplied by the Phoenix pay system otherwise Im ****ed.

We're in the same boat. We pay an accountant $80 to do both of our returns. My numbers are good to go (or will be when I get the RRSP receipt on Monday). Souvette is a Phoenix victim, so all her slips will be wrong.

Former Lancastrian Feb 9th 2018 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 12438353)
We're in the same boat. We pay an accountant $80 to do both of our returns. My numbers are good to go (or will be when I get the RRSP receipt on Monday). Souvette is a Phoenix victim, so all her slips will be wrong.

I guess I have the option of going out and finding a paper based return and then going to the bank as I have direct deposit and getting them to print out 12 months of a statement showing how much the Govt paid into my account. Sending the CRA a copy of my T4, T5, bank statement, copy of my 3 and a half year expired contract with the Govt showing how much my salary is, my 2017 tax bill from the City and anything else I can think of. Write a nice little note attached and ask CRA to figure it out and anything less than a say $10,000 refund will be accepted and anything less I demand a redetermination.

BristolUK Feb 9th 2018 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12438387)
...copy of my 3 and a half year expired contract with the Govt...

"only" 3 and a half years? pfft.
:lol:

Why not report no earnings and enclose it as proof you don't work there anymore? :rofl:

Former Lancastrian Feb 9th 2018 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12438395)
"only" 3 and a half years? pfft.
:lol:

Why not report no earnings and enclose it as proof you don't work there anymore? :rofl:

Yeah thats not really me at my desk its a hologram.

beckiwoo Feb 9th 2018 3:19 pm

I emailed my ex-employer yesterday to find out if my T4 will be mailed out or put on the ADP system as before (I can still log into that). Ex employees and friends don’t know or can’t remember how that got those.

I’m concerned as they shafted me by letting me go, they are going to mess me around with my T4

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 9th 2018 10:01 pm

I would be happy if I could have the 166 a month that the refund breaks down to during the year vs all at once at tax time.

Just not sure if there is a way to do it. I just do all the standard deductions on the form employer gives but they seem to take way more out then CRA actually wants.

BristolUK Feb 19th 2018 7:33 pm

I've done three (me, stepson and MIL) just waiting for Netfile to open and stepdaughter has hers to do but she wants to do it in one go.