Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

if the scots go, do you care?

if the scots go, do you care?

Old Feb 13th 2014, 11:20 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: if the scots go, do you care?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
There's never, ever, been a King of Wales. Back in about 1150 the area now called Wales was united (briefly) under a single boss, but he was referred to as the King of the Britons.

We tend to forget that the English (and most of the Scots) are immigrants.
All Europeans for that matter!
Old Feb 13th 2014, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So we are now on page 21 of this thread and there have been several other threads talking about this subject and what have we learned?
Can anyone answer the following questions if the Scots separate

1. What currency will they use
2. Will they still be allowed to use the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland passport.
3. Will they introduce a Scottish driving licence
4. Will unemployment benefits be paid solely out of Scottish revenue with no payments from Westminster
5. Will they have their own Armed Forces

If you can't answer those simple questions as a Scottish person then what the **** are you voting for?
Old Feb 14th 2014, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So we are now on page 21 of this thread and there have been several other threads talking about this subject and what have we learned?

2. Will they still be allowed to use the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland passport.
4. Will unemployment benefits be paid solely out of Scottish revenue with no payments from Westminster

If you can't answer those simple questions as a Scottish person then what the **** are you voting for?
1.Scottish pound,stuff Osbourne and his Lib-Lab cronies!
2.Yes ,we will have our Black Bun and eat it!
3.Of course
4.Everyone will be in full employment in the new oilfields of the west coast once the nuclear weapons are sent on their way.
5.Yep,who do you think fought and conquered the British Empire??
Old Feb 14th 2014, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

2. The Scottish government intends to bring in a separate Scottish passport under independence, but says Scots would be free either to retain their British passport, or hold both.

That said, UK Home Secretary Theresa May says the Westminster government may not allow Scottish dual citizenship, adding that the issue will be considered along with SNP policy on citizenship, and membership of the EU.

Current UK Border Agency policy states that British subjects can keep their British passport, as long as the country in which they want to hold another passport (which in this case would be an independent Scotland) allows dual nationality.

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-24928350)

3. In a BBC Scotland interview on 10 March, Nicola Sturgeon, when asked about the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), based in Swansea, said: "The thing about independence is that it gives you the ability to do these things differently if you want to.

"But it also gives you the ability, in discussion with others, to share your sovereignty. And I think the DVLA is one of those things we would sit down and have a grown-up discussion with the UK government and decide that's something we should do."

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-18364699)
Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Im sure that Salmond imbecile has the answers to all those questions NOT!! there should be plans in place for all those basic requirments being an individual country, but no one has answered them, so it shows there is no plan. If I were a Scot and wanted independence I still wouldn't vote yes under the current circumstances....the whole proposition is a joke!
Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me, in my uneducated & uninformed opinion, it could turn into an Eire - Northern Ireland mishmash?

(Off to Google the actual question to be asked on the referendum)
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:23 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Seems to me, in my uneducated & uninformed opinion, it could turn into an Eire - Northern Ireland mishmash?

(Off to Google the actual question to be asked on the referendum)
I certainly hope it's a bit clearer than the last independence referendum question in Canada, which was...

"Acceptez-vous que le Québec devienne souverain, après avoir offert formellement au Canada un nouveau partenariat économique et politique, dans le cadre du projet de loi sur l'avenir du Québec et de l'entente signée le 12 juin 1995?"

"Do you agree that Quebec should become sovereign after having made a formal offer to Canada for a new economic and political partnership within the scope of the bill respecting the future of Quebec and of the agreement signed on June 12, 1995?"

Luckily, the ethnics and the old money couldn't understand it, according to René Levesque.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily, the ethnics and the old money couldn't understand it, according to René Levesque.
then he must have spoken from the grave

he left us in 1987
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:38 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
then he must have spoken from the grave

he left us in 1987
Quite. It must have been the other one.

Paris-so.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Feb 14th 2014 at 2:40 am.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Quite. It must have been the other one.
parizeau

sour grapes

i remember that evening well
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:47 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by montreal mike
parizeau

sour grapes

i remember that evening well
Oh, so do I. I introduced a guest lecturer who happened to be from Quebec the next afternoon, and allowed myself the quip, that he would be even more fascinating than last evening's television.

I got a rather dark look from our guest.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

the next day the shock had not quite set in

it was uncomfortably close

afterwards we got media reports of there having been cheating in an anglo-ethnic area (chomedey) which of course voted heavily NO

some ballots were disallowed with no justification

(of course nothing ever came of it)

i am indifferent myself as to what the scots decide but i do hope they know what they may be getting themselves into given my recollections of two referendums in Quebec

Last edited by montreal mike; Feb 14th 2014 at 3:09 am.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly hope it's a bit clearer than the last independence referendum question in Canada, which was...

Quite. Or perhaps. That was sort of my point ;-)

I've always credited the last Qc referendum for my expeditious entry here :-) The Délégation du Québec were bricking it (seriously!!) & desperate for Anglo cred. The Federal side fell over themselves to expedite an Anglo entry to The Dark Side, once they failed to lure me Ontario - wards :-)
Old Feb 14th 2014, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
1.Scottish pound,stuff Osbourne and his Lib-Lab cronies!
2.Yes ,we will have our Black Bun and eat it!
3.Of course
4.Everyone will be in full employment in the new oilfields of the west coast once the nuclear weapons are sent on their way.
5.Yep,who do you think fought and conquered the British Empire??
Yet another home-loving Scot who doesn't appear to actually live there!
Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:45 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

There's never, ever, been a King of Wales. Back in about 1150 the area now called Wales was united (briefly) under a single boss, but he was referred to as the King of the Britons.

We tend to forget that the English (and most of the Scots) are immigrants.
Well I'd say I'm an immigrant being that I basically just arrived in Canada.

I don't think I'd call my family back in Northern/Republic of Ireland immigrants...they've been there since at least the early 18th century. (family tree doesn't go back any further)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.