Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

Old Jan 5th 2012, 1:20 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

Originally Posted by teacher1000
Yeah, I know there are options out there for home buying if you move outside of London. However, from living here, and driving around "potential" areas to move to, I have noticed that there isn't that much going on outside of large cities. I know there are big towns, one of the towns city centers that I really liked was actually haha hereford. It had a BIG and nice city center and it seemed like a nice place, but it's soooo incredibly far away from anything. I've not ever been to Kent to be honest, and I'm sure that it's lovely (I knew a work collegue who lived there) but my heart is set on Canada.
The drug thing, I still don't get. My boss brought her dope to WORK with her. That to me, is ridiculous. In the 25 years that I had lived in Canada prior, I had never come across anyone bringing their drugs with them to work, no matter how "acceptable" smoking pot seems to be.
It sucks to be teaching in England right now. Especially in London. My husband works from 7am till about 930 at night, every night. He works in an outstanding school, and is basically forced to live up to those standards. It's terrible. Not only that, but the government(s) will eventually get their way, and public sector pensions will in the next 10 years be erradicated. I'm pretty sure he's ready for a change.
Like I said, I have no personal interest in staying in England. After 4 years of living here, I can say, i've given it a fair chance, but it's just not for me.
I find that funny when you come from a huge Country like Canada where everything really is a great distance and rural really does mean RURAL!
Old Jan 5th 2012, 1:26 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

exactly, to each their own. Home is where the heart is!
it sure is but please don't be so down on England, we're not all bad you know.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I know there are options out there for home buying if you move outside of London. However, from living here, and driving around "potential" areas to move to, I have noticed that there isn't that much going on outside of large cities. I know there are big towns, one of the towns city centers that I really liked was actually haha hereford. It had a BIG and nice city center and it seemed like a nice place, but it's soooo incredibly far away from anything. I've not ever been to Kent to be honest, and I'm sure that it's lovely (I knew a work collegue who lived there) but my heart is set on Canada.
The drug thing, I still don't get. My boss brought her dope to WORK with her. That to me, is ridiculous. In the 25 years that I had lived in Canada prior, I had never come across anyone bringing their drugs with them to work, no matter how "acceptable" smoking pot seems to be.
It sucks to be teaching in England right now. Especially in London. My husband works from 7am till about 930 at night, every night. He works in an outstanding school, and is basically forced to live up to those standards. It's terrible. Not only that, but the government(s) will eventually get their way, and public sector pensions will in the next 10 years be erradicated. I'm pretty sure he's ready for a change.
Like I said, I have no personal interest in staying in England. After 4 years of living here, I can say, i've given it a fair chance, but it's just not for me.
Hereford is a city. Please tell me, how would the "things to do" differ in, let's say, Hereford as opposed to Vernon B.C. (similar population size), except for the obvious climate based things?
Old Jan 5th 2012, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

teacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Hereford is a city. Please tell me, how would the "things to do" differ in, let's say, Hereford as opposed to Vernon B.C. (similar population size), except for the obvious climate based things?
Well for example, if I lived in hereford, chances are I wouldn't be seeing any bands play anywhere. If I live in Toronto for example, there are MANY MANY MANY different venues upon which I can go to see indie bands play.
Each city will have their own slight differences. Hereford was lovely, but it's totally rural. Hamilton, is one hour/ maybe a bit less away from both niagara falls and toronto. It also has places inbetween like miss, guelph, burlington, ancaster etc, which have their own shops/entertainment etc. I guess the fact that the GTA is clustered together makes it a bit more appealing, there is more to do. Plus like I said, I am from there, and my family and friends are there, so that also provides social stimulation which I wouldn't get anywhere else.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

teacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
by the way, i don't know how it would differ because having never been to Vernon, I couldn't give an accurate comparison
Old Jan 5th 2012, 2:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It also has places inbetween like miss, guelph, burlington, ancaster etc, which have their own shops/entertainment etc.
Mississauga, Guelph, Burlington and Ancaster have entertainment? I suppose they do, in the same way as Ealing, Harrow, Romford and Croydon have enterainment, but the one set of satellite towns is no more an entertainment mecca than the other.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Mississauga, Guelph, Burlington and Ancaster have entertainment? I suppose they do, in the same way as Ealing, Harrow, Romford and Croydon have enterainment, but the one set of satellite towns is no more an entertainment mecca than the other.
yes, i guess it's just preference and layout. So, for me, I prefer the former.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 2:42 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

yes, i guess it's just preference and layout. So, for me, I prefer the former.
I don't believe the point being made to you is whether or not you should prefer one or the other, that is subjective and personal.

The point I believe is being made, repeatedly, is the inaccurate gross generalisations being made about a country based on living in one major city.

The same responses would be seen if you had made generalisations about the whole of Canada based on living in Toronto or Moncton.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 2:43 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

From Miss Clinique
People in the UK dont want people like you there, constantly berating their country.

Don't let the door.....................................out.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Cyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond repute

It's clear that some people here can't separate the idyllic setting of Vicar of Dibley from the reality of living in the UK.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Well for example, if I lived in hereford, chances are I wouldn't be seeing any bands play anywhere. If I live in Toronto for example, there are MANY MANY MANY different venues upon which I can go to see indie bands play.
Each city will have their own slight differences. Hereford was lovely, but it's totally rural. Hamilton, is one hour/ maybe a bit less away from both niagara falls and toronto. It also has places inbetween like miss, guelph, burlington, ancaster etc, which have their own shops/entertainment etc. I guess the fact that the GTA is clustered together makes it a bit more appealing, there is more to do. Plus like I said, I am from there, and my family and friends are there, so that also provides social stimulation which I wouldn't get anywhere else.
Population of Hereford - 55,000 ish, population of Vernon -58,000, population of Toronto - 2.5 million ish

Your comparisons are nonsense Do you believe that Vernon will have the same MANY MANY MANY different venues that Toronto would?
Old Jan 5th 2012, 3:35 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cyan
It's clear that some people here can't separate the idyllic setting of Vicar of Dibley from the reality of living in the UK.
My Dad apparently would be one of them, hes perfectly happy living in his own version of Dibley. Thats his reality of living in the UK.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

ctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
Hey! I live in Ealing and it does have a significant amount of entertainment compared to alot of other boroughs. In the summer it is full of festivals; The London Mela, The Comedy Festival, Blues Festival, Jazz Festival, Opera Festival, Greenford Festival, etc. So all summer long there is pretty much something to do on my doorstep in one of many of the fantastic green spaces (Ealing is one of the greenest boroughs in London).
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:54 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBear
I arrived in Canada back in July. I have loved it here from the get go. Yes I get annoyed at a few things, like we are totally ripped off here on certain items, the TV is total rubbish (thank goodness iPlayer is now available here) and the 401 makes the M25 look like a quiet country road full of polite thoughtful people, but I know that this place is way better than the country I was born in and lived in for 43 years. Going back at Christmas totally confirmed this.

England is a DREARY OVERPRICED CHAV INFESTED DUMP.

I saw the sun for about 10 minutes for the whole of the week I was there. I was gobsmacked at how small my friends houses felt after getting used to sizes here. The aggression and general look on people's faces was depressing. I had a group of drunken chavs pick a fight with me on Christmas day. Everywhere looked a bit run down and worn out. Lots of stuff was expensive, and especially houses still. Even villages that I once thought were cute just looked grim.

The only thing I miss about the UK is the wonderful friends and family I have left behind, but with time, hard work and patience, I will develop a good social network here.

Basically, I couldn't wait to get home...Canada.
I have not read any other replies yet, we arrived home last night. OH never ever wants to go back to rip off scummy England, I would like to go back once in a while for the visiting rellies thing but this last trip did confirm one thing. Red Deer Alberta is where we want to be for now and Canada is where we want to be forever
Old Jan 5th 2012, 6:30 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

People in England berate their own country!!!! Do you not read the Gaurdian??? If you did, you would see, that there are MANY people who are dissatisfied with living here. The financial system is in the **** because of corrupted bankers who took peoples money and just ****** it away. They are talking about pension reforms that are absolutely outragous to those that work in the public sector like my husband. About 2 million people decided to strike from the public sector last month including me and my husband as a show of just how unhappy people are. Don't even get me started on britians educational system and just how screwed up that is. Unemployment is at the highest level it's been at since 1994. AWESOME.

Um, have you EVER been to London? it's a complete ****hole. God, just go into Tottenham, or Hackney or Walthamstow and they would make burlington look like fantasy island. I've come home to my flat with notices on the door saying to be careful when going out as some bloke had been stabbed in the neck the night before. Actually come to think about it, in my area alone, there have been at least 5 or 6 murders since I've been here and countless assults. It's not even safe to walk outside at night time.

You're right, I have't been EVERYWHERE in England, but I've been to enough places to know that it's not for me. I've been to all the surrounding towns in Oxfordshire. Such as Buckingham, Whitney, Faringdon etc....I've been over to Hereford, Brighton, Newbury, Bishops Cleeve, Bath, Windsor, Birmingham, Bristol, Maidenhead, and all the parts of London. So, although I've not see EVERYWHERE, I've driven to a fair amount of places, and the british countryside is obviously MUCH nicer than London, but still, my desire is to be with my family and friends, in the best country in the world, save maybe norway.

Honestly, If the UK was so fantastic, why did you move to Canada? Wait until you move back and see all the reforms and bullshit they have implemented through the Conservatives over the year and a half. David Cameron has made sure that the divide between the rich and the poor will continue, your kids will not get their free college/uni like they had before, you'll have to work until your 68 in order to retire and by then, there probably won't be such a thing as a pension to collect when you're finished.
Public transportation is out of this world expensive. England has the most expensive public transportation in all the world. You would think charging people an arm and a leg, you would make sure the bloody trains are actually air conditioned/comfortable/less cramped, but no, all they care about is stealing your money, **** customer service, that doesnt even exist here.

I'm pretty sure in the last 3 years you've been missing in action over in Canada, you've clearly missed one hell of a lot of **** that has been flying over in this country. So, before you get all high and mighty about me berating England, you better have a read of what's really going on here and inform yourself.

You're just homesick love. You should go home and find yourself a nice Canadian lad, I mean dude. You can watch ice hockey while sipping your French Vanilla Cappuccino Supreme and pondering the wide open spaces that you don't own and aren't allowed on.

Oh and go ahead and 'berate' all you like, as you've mentioned we do a lot of that in the UK because its healthy to self-acualize instead of bottling it up because that creates frustration which leads to passive-aggressiveness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.