Decent curry in GTA

Old Nov 16th 2023, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Decent curry in GTA

You'd think with all the Indians and Pakistanis in and around the GTA there would be one decent curry house but it's almost impossible to get a good curry anywhere.
Anyone else having this problem?
I'm close to Hamilton but have travelled far and wide, still can't find a good curry.
Is it just a British thing with the taste I wonder. All the dishes over here are so mild and lacking taste...
Old Nov 16th 2023, 4:21 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decent curry in GTA

Coriander Green in Oakville is pretty good. Aroma Fine Indian Cuisine in Toronto is also tasty. Bombay Grill in Milton is also another choice.

Old Nov 18th 2023, 9:53 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean by "decent"? Are you looking for an Indian/Pakistani curry or a British curry?
Old Nov 22nd 2023, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

I'm used to Indian and Bangladeshi curries made in the UK
I tried the Coriander Green in Oakville at the weekend, it was pretty good although not as spicy as we like even though we asked they spice it up. It's over an hour from where we live so still on the look for something south of Hamilton..
Old Nov 23rd 2023, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find that the Indian and Pakistani curries you had in England will not be the same as the Indian and other curries made here in Canada. You might look for Punjabi rather than Pakistani

First of all they are likely to come from different regions in India!

It's just like Chinese restaurants here do not serve the same food that I've had in the UK!

BTW ............ it is more common to say South Asians, as Indian is still seen as referring to First Nations, despite the name not being used for many years. If you google Indian restaurant, you are just as likely to get First Nations ones.

Old Nov 24th 2023, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
I think you will find that the Indian and Pakistani curries you had in England will not be the same as the Indian and other curries made here in Canada. You might look for Punjabi rather than Pakistani

It's just like Chinese restaurants here do not serve the same food that I've had in the UK!

BTW ............ it is more common to say South Asians, as Indian is still seen as referring to First Nations, despite the name not being used for many years. If you google Indian restaurant, you are just as likely to get First Nations ones.
I've most commonly heard the term "East Indian" used to mean people from India instead of the colonial "Indian" term for First Nations, rather than South Asian, though as time goes on I've noticed people simply saying "Indian" more and more to mean people from India.

In regards to restaurants, it is a different selection but sometimes dishes more common at british indian restaurants like Bombay Potatoes and Saag Aloo are available. I've kind of adapted at this point anyway, Palak Paneer is one of my favourites.
Old Nov 25th 2023, 1:37 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly

I work with umpteen Indians, from India, we talk about Indian restaurants all the time. There's never been any suggestion that an Indian restaurant would not serve the food of India.

I also work with some aboriginal Canadians. They refer to themselves as Indians but it's not kosher for anyone else to do so. The idea that they have a cusine or that there are aboriginal Canadian restaurants is far fetched though.

Today I picked up from the Coriandor Kitchen in Orangeville. I like that place.Last weekend I ate at the Mowgli in Bexhill. very similar.

Last edited by dbd33; Nov 25th 2023 at 1:55 am.
Old Nov 25th 2023, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I work with umpteen Indians, from India, we talk about Indian restaurants all the time. There's never been any suggestion that an Indian restaurant would not serve the food of India.

I also work with some aboriginal Canadians. They refer to themselves as Indians but it's not kosher for anyone else to do so. The idea that they have a cusine or that there are aboriginal Canadian restaurants is far fetched though.

Today I picked up from the Coriandor Kitchen in Orangeville. I like that place.Last weekend I ate at the Mowgli in Bexhill. very similar.
Of course they have a cuisine!!

There have been Haida restaurants in various places for many years. In Vancouver, many places along the coast of BC, Jasper. Many Cree chefs opening restaurants in Ontario. Mic'Mac places in the Maritimes.

There has been a huge increase of First nations chefs opening restaurants all over Canada!
Old Feb 14th 2024, 11:09 am
Just Joined

napatel2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

have anyone ever tried "Royal Paan" at Upper James, Rymal. ?
Old Feb 16th 2024, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by napatel2007
have anyone ever tried "Royal Paan" at Upper James, Rymal. ?
Not yet, it's a bit out of my way but I'll try and get down there soon.
Why do you ask?
Do you live local?
Have you tried it?