Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Bed sizes - UK double bed base

Bed sizes - UK double bed base

Old Sep 3rd 2010, 12:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bed sizes - UK double bed base

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Ikea will deliver , you do your shopping , pay a flat ratec, about $50 and then go to the desk to book your slot.

They will deliver anything that's not fragile
Thanks I didn't realise that. .
Old Sep 5th 2010, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

marimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cookie
Buy a new mattress in the UK and ship it over along with the rest of the bed. I would also do the same for extra bedding and duvet covers
Unless of course your shipping company ends up damaging the mattress and you realise too late to claim it on the insurance. Grrrr - our mattress appears to have been folded in the middle or something, there is a huge dent in it now!
Old Sep 5th 2010, 3:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marimac
Unless of course your shipping company ends up damaging the mattress and you realise too late to claim it on the insurance. Grrrr - our mattress appears to have been folded in the middle or something, there is a huge dent in it now!
The first bed we bought in the US was a US king. We paid extra to have a mattress that folded as it's easier to move...I guess that's what they tried to do with yours.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

brookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nice

Hi all, nobody has mentioned divan bases and I was just wondering if these are available in the Vancouver area? Our bed is a UK King so it looks like we'll need to buy a Queen mattress over there and was hoping I'd be able to get the Divan too (it gives the mattress height from the wooden base).
Any help/ info much appreciated,
thanks brookel
Old Jul 4th 2011, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

brookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nice

oops, think I've posted without reading the thread properly....or even the title!
New question- is bed base same as divan?
Old Jul 4th 2011, 10:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by brookel
Hi all, nobody has mentioned divan bases and I was just wondering if these are available in the Vancouver area? Our bed is a UK King so it looks like we'll need to buy a Queen mattress over there and was hoping I'd be able to get the Divan too (it gives the mattress height from the wooden base).
Any help/ info much appreciated,
thanks brookel
You can get divans but they are different to UK divans. They rest on a metal frame and are about 6" from the floor.

Yes bad base/divan is the same.

BTW you can add or edit your post up to 2 hrs after you've posted.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Jerseygirl
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks Jerseygirl
I see you are in Congleton...I used to live in Macc.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

I used to work in Barclays in Macc! I liked working there, everyone was really friendly. I used to mooch about the shops on my lunch break, there's lots there compared to Congleton! Are you from Macc?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I used to work in Barclays in Macc! I liked working there, everyone was really friendly. I used to mooch about the shops on my lunch break, there's lots there compared to Congleton! Are you from Macc?
I'm originally from Sheffield. I lived in Macc in the 70's...it's changed quite a bit since then. Had quite a few friends who lived in Congleton...I worked in Wilmslow and many of my work colleagues lived in Congleton.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 3:47 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

My BF at school was from MAcc - her bro was in The Macc Lads!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 3:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
My BF at school was from MAcc - her bro was in The Macc Lads!
We used to have a member who lived just up the road from me in Macc. Before I moved to the US I lived in Chester...again same member moved to Chester and lived a mile away from me and used to go to the same local. Neither of us lived in the locations at the same time.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 4:55 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I have a lot of experience with beds here.

The main thing I have learned which is worth knowing is DO NOT BUY A BED FROM THE BRICK!!! (or anything else for that matter) I've bought three beds from different locations, customer service sucks if you have a problem and need to return it. Literally I could write a book on the problems I've had with that company and moreover I would have the time to write it in the amount of time it took to sort out the problems.

IKEA is pretty crap also, however their one saving grace is that their beds are actually quite good for the money. Talk about delivery from IKEA, pah, jesus I was stood in line for two hours waiting to talk to a rep once to arrange it. Plus they put the beds at the back of the warehouse and the trolleys aren't large enough to move them. Plus the delivery people are some removals company they use, staffed with idiots. One time when they were delivering they point blank refused to take their shoes off for "health and safety" reasons, so I suggested that if they didn't I would grease the staircase to prevent them from walking dirt everywhere - then they took their shoes off.

If you want to try out beds I recommend Sleep Country, customer service is massively better than The Brick and they specialize in selling beds, unlike Costco and Sears.

Another thing I will say is that you can have problems finding a quality bed compared to the UK, there are lots of big brand names like Simmons and Serta about but they are made in the local plant in Canada and imx they are not that good (or rather they can be but it really is hit and miss). This is why I ended up with an IKEA bed on my NINTH ATTEMPT to get a new bed (I kid you not).

If you can find a mattress you like in the UK I recommend bringing it over. A UK King is not the same size as a Queen here, they are slightly different and Queen size sheets will not properly fit a UK King although they are close. So bring over sheets too.

On the subject of memory foam, if you want one get it from IKEA, no idea where the foam comes from that they make beds with here but it's unsafe imo. The IKEA stuff comes up from Mexico. I literally had to see the doctor with the fumes I had coming off a Simmons mattress I had. Also Canadian mattresses are often made with lots of polyester in them which will cook you alive.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:50 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

The main thing I have learned which is worth knowing is DO NOT BUY A BED FROM THE BRICK!!! (or anything else for that matter) I've bought three beds from different locations, customer service sucks if you have a problem and need to return it. Literally I could write a book on the problems I've had with that company and moreover I would have the time to write it in the amount of time it took to sort out the problems.

IKEA is pretty crap also, however their one saving grace is that their beds are actually quite good for the money. Talk about delivery from IKEA, pah, jesus I was stood in line for two hours waiting to talk to a rep once to arrange it. Plus they put the beds at the back of the warehouse and the trolleys aren't large enough to move them. Plus the delivery people are some removals company they use, staffed with idiots. One time when they were delivering
they point blank refused to take their shoes off for "health and safety" reasons, so I suggested that if they didn't I would grease the staircase to prevent them from walking dirt everywhere - then they took their shoes off.

If you want to try out beds I recommend Sleep Country, customer service is massively better than The Brick and they specialize in selling beds, unlike Costco and Sears.

Another thing I will say is that you can have problems finding a quality bed compared to the UK, there are lots of big brand names like Simmons and Serta about but they are made in the local plant in Canada and imx they are

not that good (or rather they can be but it really is hit and miss). This is why I ended up with an IKEA bed on my NINTH ATTEMPT to get a new bed (I kid you not).

If you can find a mattress you like in the UK I recommend bringing it over. A UK King is not the same size as a Queen here, they are slightly different and Queen size sheets will not properly fit a UK King although they are close. So bring over sheets too.

On the subject of memory foam, if you want one get it from IKEA, no idea where the foam comes from that they make beds with here but it's unsafe IMO. The IKEA stuff comes up from Mexico. I literally had to see the doctor
with the fumes I had coming off a Simmons mattress I had. Also Canadian mattresses are often made with lots of polyester in them which will cook you alive.
You have too much time on your hands. Your experiences are not mine and not those of the many people I know. Opinions are like arseholes................etc.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 6:04 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

IKEA is pretty crap also, however their one saving grace is that their beds are actually quite good for the money. Talk about delivery from IKEA, pah, jesus I was stood in line for two hours waiting to talk to a rep once to arrange it. Plus they put the beds at the back of the warehouse and the trolleys aren't large enough to move them. Plus the delivery people are some removals company they use, staffed with idiots. One time when they were delivering they point blank refused to take their shoes off for "health and safety" reasons, so I suggested that if they didn't I would grease the staircase to prevent them from walking dirt everywhere - then they took their shoes off.

Another thing I will say is that you can have problems finding a quality bed compared to the UK, there are lots of big brand names like Simmons and Serta about but they are made in the local plant in Canada and imx they are not that good (or rather they can be but it really is hit and miss). This is why I ended up with an IKEA bed on my NINTH ATTEMPT to get a new bed (I kid you not).

On the subject of memory foam, if you want one get it from IKEA, no idea where the foam comes from that they make beds with here but it's unsafe imo. The IKEA stuff comes up from Mexico. I literally had to see the doctor with the fumes I had coming off a Simmons mattress I had. Also Canadian mattresses are often made with lots of polyester in them which will cook you alive.
Nice summary.

The Bay has a nice selection of mattresses and are very willing to negotiate. I got well over half off, plus they waived the delivery fee.

If you want memory foam, put you hand in your pocket and buy a Tempur Pedic as all the others are crap and won't last, and they all even the TP ones get quite hot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.