Beauty and the Beast

Old May 30th 2008, 12:37 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beauty and the Beast

Ahhh, here comes summer.................and the hummingbirds have arrived. They are amazing to see close up and facinating to watch

On the flip side................. I got my first black fly bite in my scalp. Large lump and swollen glands :curse: :curse: :curse:

Here is the Canada bug report

Now, what are all the 'tried and tested' anti-blackfly/mozzie/no see-ums old wives tales of cures and deterrents. Has anyone ever seen a no see-um????

In the meantime I am off out to buy one of these sexy little numbers

http://www.safetycentral.com/mosclotcogbu.html
Old May 30th 2008, 12:44 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of
Default Re: Beauty and the Beast

I remember in his book, 'Raw Spirit', Iain Banks recommended a Dust Buster. Would work a treat, I would think.
Old May 30th 2008, 1:10 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do

Now, what are all the 'tried and tested' anti-blackfly/mozzie/no see-ums old wives tales of cures and deterrents. Has anyone ever seen a no see-um????
We have a skeetervac (SV35)in the yard thats doing brisk business.

Its doing overtime at the moment. If I was God for the day (or even 2 minutes...wouldn't take long) the mosquito and blackfly would be wiped from the planet.

As far a chemicals go we use the Off family skintastic DEET which works OK for a couple of hours, and on the little kids a product called "Bite blocker" that is DEET free and very effective unlike a lot of the old wives tales like bounce sheets and avon skinsosoft. We mail order that from the US

http://www.biteblocker.com/
Old May 30th 2008, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

I puff up horribly if I get bitten by a blackfly. They key is not to scratch it - I use Afterbite - http://www.gear-up.com/cart_showproduct.php?pid=169 immediately and it really helps. (Unfortunately it smells like cat piss )
Old May 30th 2008, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

edinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to all

after surviving the scottish midge :curse:i am an expert on biting insects

i have 2 suggestions , use avon skin so soft (whatever is in it they hate , so say the army guys)it really does work

second is stay underwater and breath through a reed

hope this helps
Old May 30th 2008, 1:40 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

THe scottish midge is a pussy compared to the ontario blackfly Im afraid.
Old May 30th 2008, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

edinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to all

i thnk we need a cage fight midge from glasgow vs the ontario black fly
Old May 30th 2008, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
We have a skeetervac (SV35)in the yard thats doing brisk business.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...k/DSC00745.jpg

Its doing overtime at the moment. If I was God for the day (or even 2 minutes...wouldn't take long) the mosquito and blackfly would be wiped from the planet.

As far a chemicals go we use the Off family skintastic DEET which works OK for a couple of hours, and on the little kids a product called "Bite blocker" that is DEET free and very effective unlike a lot of the old wives tales like bounce sheets and avon skinsosoft. We mail order that from the US

http://www.biteblocker.com/
My goodness; I'd never heard of one of these before. Seems great! They are expensive, though.
Old May 30th 2008, 4:41 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by TheCanes
My goodness; I'd never heard of one of these before. Seems great! They are expensive, though.
About $300, plus they run about $30-40 a month in consumables (propane, traps, bait) during the bug season. Dont buy the cheaper smaller version though, it doesnt work nearly as well as it doesnt suck bugs into it.

The great advantage of the skeetervac over other similar units is you dont need to run power to it, so you can easily move it to where the bugs are worst.

Worth it for us to reclaim the yard, or at think we are at least fighting back. I still put on the OFF stuff in the evening though if I'm out cutting the grass or whatever.
Old May 31st 2008, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Arrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to behold

Ahhh, here comes summer.................and the hummingbirds have arrived. They are amazing to see close up and facinating to watch

On the flip side................. I got my first black fly bite in my scalp. Large lump and swollen glands :curse: :curse: :curse:

Here is the Canada bug report

In the meantime I am off out to buy one of these sexy little numbers

http://www.safetycentral.com/mosclotcogbu.html
cant belive there is a bug report
last night i was sitting happily on the computer when i thought somebody was throwing stones at the window. i was terrified i looked out the window and saw big flying beetle thingys, and there were loads crawling around. i had no idea what they were. next morning i told my 8 year old to which she replied " oh that will be dune/june bugs everyone seemed to know except me,
Old May 31st 2008, 12:32 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

June bugs haven't arrived up here yet.

They will be battering against your windows for the month of June then mysteriously disappear.

http://insectphotos.net/orders/coleo...4_june_bug.jpg
Old May 31st 2008, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

Tucking your pant cuffs into your socks will help prevent them from biting your ankles Canadian fashion explained - it's all down to the bugs

Oh, and Avon Skin Soft does stink but DOES NOT deter even the 'pussy' Scottish Midge
Old May 31st 2008, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MrsDV
[Oh, and Avon Skin Soft does stink but DOES NOT deter even the 'pussy' Scottish Midge
Not sure about Skin so Soft but certainly Avon Soft & Fresh (used to be known as Woodland Fresh) is effective - at least I've always found it so. Have used it in Maldives, Barbados, Cuba and the UK and have not been bitten - have forgotten to use it and have had the lumps and bumps to show for it :curse:

Lynne
Old May 31st 2008, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

nothing sorer than getting bitten in the maldives ..... oooya
Old Jun 1st 2008, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to behold

June bugs haven't arrived up here yet.

They will be battering against your windows for the month of June then mysteriously disappear.

http://insectphotos.net/orders/coleo...4_june_bug.jpg
is there any thing else i should be aware of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.