BC Teachers strike

Old Jun 18th 2014, 1:58 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC Teachers strike

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Seniority raises are the sort of indefensible public sector bullshit that I'd get rid of as well.
I wouldn't. But then I'm biased.

They're called PTR's where I work, (Progression Through the Ranks). We get a flat rate increase of 1/30th of the difference between the base Assistant Prof. salary floor and the base Full Prof salary floor every year (currently about $2.5K) plus typically a 3% raise on top of that. This applies equally to people, like your correspondent, who have been Full Prof for more than 20 years.

Some people are just in the wrong job. Or not in a Union.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:32 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Teachers get loads of time off too. With 'professional development days' ie doing nowt.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 3:10 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Without claiming to be an expert of course that isn't true.

Are you confusing cost of living increases with seniority?
Regarding these wage demand increases being over and above the cost of living increases they would get anyway, this is from the "So What's Really on the Table" document on the BC Public School Employers' Association:

"The BCTF proposal also includes an additional increase equal to the difference between the actual GDP and the forecasted GDP to take effect on the first pay day after February 1 in the collective agreement year"

Sounds to me like these wage demands are, indeed, over and above their regular pay increases.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 5:26 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Regarding these wage demand increases being over and above the cost of living increases they would get anyway, this is from the "So What's Really on the Table" document on the BC Public School Employers' Association:

"The BCTF proposal also includes an additional increase equal to the difference between the actual GDP and the forecasted GDP to take effect on the first pay day after February 1 in the collective agreement year"

Sounds to me like these wage demands are, indeed, over and above their regular pay increases.
I understand from this that the BCFT accept that the government makes its offer based on what they think they can afford from projections of economic growth in the future. They want a clause written into the contract that if economic growth turns out to be higher than the projections they will get additional pay rises. A sort of heads we win tails you lose clause.

Actually, having public sector pay linked to provincial economic performance is an interesting idea. I wonder if the BCFT would agree that teacher's salaries could be reduced if economic growth turned out to be less than forecast?
Old Jun 18th 2014, 6:07 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I understand from this that the BCFT accept that the government makes its offer based on what they think they can afford from projections of economic growth in the future. They want a clause written into the contract that if economic growth turns out to be higher than the projections they will get additional pay rises. A sort of heads we win tails you lose clause.

Actually, having public sector pay linked to provincial economic performance is an interesting idea. I wonder if the BCFT would agree that teacher's salaries could be reduced if economic growth turned out to be less than forecast?
Given who calculates and announces the actual economic growth figures, that would be fairly silly of them.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

In Surrey the teachers association has opened a food bank as teachers are struggling financially now apparently.

B.C. teachers' strike: food bank opening for Surrey teachers - British Columbia - CBC News

I am a low income earner so I have a hard time understanding how in a profession making 50k+ a year they can't save for a raining day?

I can understand someone making 20k a year not being able to, but at what the teachers make they should certainly be able to save some sort of funds for a rainy day.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 7:36 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
In Surrey the teachers association has opened a food bank as teachers are struggling financially now apparently.

B.C. teachers' strike: food bank opening for Surrey teachers - British Columbia - CBC News

I am a low income earner so I have a hard time understanding how in a profession making 50k+ a year they can't save for a raining day?

I can understand someone making 20k a year not being able to, but at what the teachers make they should certainly be able to save some sort of funds for a rainy day.

I know some of them have come to ask their administrators for the grocery supermarket gift cards that have been donated to give to poor families. This is from people who can earn 80k+ a week and most are second incomes. This is not the majority of teachers btw just a few with absolutely no shame.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 7:49 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Oink
I know some of them have come to ask their administrators for the grocery supermarket gift cards that have been donated to give to poor families. This is from people who can earn 80k+ a week and most are second incomes. This is not the majority of teachers btw just a few with absolutely no shame.
No wonder people are pissed at them.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 3:30 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

My "word on the street" neighbour - not quite a real teacher - friend also told me last night, that teachers with children who have childcare difficulties as a consequence of the strike are not required to do their time on the picket line! meanwhile the rest of us are either shelling out $40 per child per day for emergency childcare or dragging them around with us whilst still trying to do a day's work!
Old Jun 19th 2014, 3:54 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Have they no understanding of how public relations work or are they just that thick or arrogant?

Old Jun 19th 2014, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Our contract expires tomorrow perhaps this is not the best thread for me to whine about how poorly I am paid etc etc
Old Jun 19th 2014, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Our contract expires tomorrow perhaps this is not the best thread for me to whine about how poorly I am paid etc etc
Old Jun 19th 2014, 4:11 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
At least you're not on strike buggering up everybody else's lifes
Old Jun 19th 2014, 4:12 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
At least you're not on strike buggering up everybody else's lifes
No, he does it by going to work.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
No, he does it by going to work.
I'm looking after your best interests by taking away that extra bottle of rum, that carton of cigarettes or more than $20 of dairy products including that really cheap piece of cheese. Those products are bad for your health.
There again all those trips to Thailand might get me or others thinking about a certain area that Thailand is noted for

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.