Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

BC gov offers $40 per day to parents during strike

BC gov offers $40 per day to parents during strike

Old Sep 2nd 2014, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

bcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nice
Default Re: BC gov offers $40 per day to parents during strike

Originally Posted by prairiechicken
I'm a bit at sea here. Being new here, I have absolutely no idea what workbooks would be suitable (or in line with what my son would be learning here), or where to get them from, or who to ask. I barely know anyone here so it's not as if I can easily talk to other parents about what they are doing.

And I'm not a teacher. I really don't relish the idea of home-schooling my child for a month. But I don't have a job yet, and I don't imagine that $40 a day will cover a private tutor...

ERGH.
I'm no expert either on workbooks but if it's any help I picked up a Grade 5 Canadian curriculum workbook from Costco for $8.99 and the same book was in Chapters for $17. London drugs also had some cheap workbooks. I've enrolled my kid in Kumon too, which has worked out cheaper than a private tutor.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 9:19 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
That's not research.
No shit.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 9:31 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Novocastrian;11390410]I don't think being young and eager is much of a recipe for being good teacher. I'd suggest experience is rather more the thing to look for.

On another point, Mr. Google tells me that there were 550,000 children in the BC public schools in 2012. Let's assume the most of them are not single children which might mean 300,000 families with kids in school.

So the $40 per day the the BC gov is offering parents means about $12m per day or $60m per week if it lasts week.

How is this fiscally prudent?[/QUOTE]

I can only speak from my own experience, but over the last few years, I have (honestly) NEVER seen any of the senior teachers at an after school concert, play or musical put on by the kids. My 7 year old's teacher from last academic year has 1 year left to retirement. She didn't even attend the junior sports day until it was time for the kids to go back into class; just handed them over to the PE organisers and volunteer parents. Last year's student teacher was "awesome" and "great at running"! I actually went on a couple of field trips with him and the enthusiasm he displayed was lovely to see. He's one of last year's crop of student teachers mentioned in a previous post who's working in a local Bistro to get by. I would employ him over "Mrs Retiring Cardigan" in a heartbeat.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 9:34 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I can only speak from my own experience, but over the last few years, I have (honestly) NEVER seen any of the senior teachers at an after school concert, play or musical put on by the kids. My 7 year old's teacher from last academic year has 1 year left to retirement. She didn't even attend the junior sports day until it was time for the kids to go back into class; just handed them over to the PE organisers and volunteer parents. Last year's student teacher was "awesome" and "great at running"! I actually went on a couple of field trips with him and the enthusiasm he displayed was lovely to see. He's one of last year's crop of student teachers mentioned in a previous post who's working in a local Bistro to get by. I would employ him over "Mrs Retiring Cardigan" in a heartbeat.
Sorry, but that's not research either. I'm genuinely curious to see data on this issue.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 9:55 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but that's not research either. I'm genuinely curious to see data on this issue.
Research? It's my experience/opinion. I never claimed it was research - in any shape or form.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 9:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Research? It's my experience/opinion. I never claimed it was research - in any shape or form.
True. Not like Oink.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 10:20 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Hey - I've just realised - I've just "earned" $80!! More than some teachers have today.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
That makes sense, though: the point of a picket line is to prevent (or shout abuse at) people crossing it. If nobody's going to try to go to school because it's the holidays, stands to reason that there's no purpose in picketing it.

And besides, they probably all wanted to bugger off to their summer residences in Normandy
Suppose so, other then they are never in front of the school here, always on the side walk on the main road trying to get cars to honk, anyone can get past them into the school....lol..

I am only familiar with a few strikes and all in the private sector, and those unions had people out 24/7 on the picket line during the entire strike.

I don't think being young and eager is much of a recipe for being good teacher. I'd suggest experience is rather more the thing to look for.

On another point, Mr. Google tells me that there were 550,000 children in the BC public schools in 2012. Let's assume the most of them are not single children which might mean 300,000 families with kids in school.

So the $40 per day the the BC gov is offering parents means about $12m per day or $60m per week if it lasts week.

How is this fiscally prudent?
It's not financially prudent, and I never thought or said it was, however the government isn't willing to drop certain items off the table, and neither is the union, so no agreement will be made until both sides start to drop things they other doesn't want, or come to some sort of agreeable terms.

From a student perspective based on my experience as a student, older teachers with the experience we never willing to teach, where the younger teachers were still eager to do their job. Experience is worthless if the person with it isn't willing to share it and actually teach. (this is an opinion based on my experiences as a student, and is not intended to be taken as research on the topic.) I do know academically I did better in classes with younger teachers.

I have no bone in this fight, and I don't agree with either side, both are being difficult and creating more of a mess then they need to.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 2nd 2014 at 10:31 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 10:43 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Suppose so, other then they are never in front of the school here, always on the side walk on the main road trying to get cars to honk, anyone can get past them into the school....lol..

I am only familiar with a few strikes and all in the private sector, and those unions had people out 24/7 on the picket line during the entire strike.

It's not financially prudent, and I never thought or said it was, however the government isn't willing to drop certain items off the table, and neither is the union, so no agreement will be made until both sides start to drop things they other doesn't want, or come to some sort of agreeable terms.

From a student perspective based on my experience as a student, older teachers with the experience we never willing to teach, where the younger teachers were still eager to do their job. Experience is worthless if the person with it isn't willing to share it and actually teach. (this is an opinion based on my experiences as a student, and is not intended to be taken as research on the topic.) I do know academically I did better in classes with younger teachers.

I have no bone in this fight, and I don't agree with either side, both are being difficult and creating more of a mess then they need to.
I agree with all you say here. It's such a shame the intransigence has been taken so far neither side feels able/prepared to take a pragmatic re-visit of the issues.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 11:02 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing in terms of negotiation went on through the Summer. It seems the teachers expected they would be legislated back to work and so would at least take their existing (generous) salaries and benefits' packages. They could then begin striking again next June. The Government has said "enough". Let's sort this once and for all (ish).

I never thought I was particularly anti-union and could generally see the arguments for both sides - especially if I wasn't involved in any way. But this situation - with no end in sight - is really starting to annoy me. I don't really care about the "he said, she said", at least have the professionalism to all get back to the table and try at being grownups.
it's the 'no end in sight' aspect that is doing my head in.

I find people outside of BC have no understanding of how long this has gone on. So over it I can't even.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 1:50 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Pretty much all the other public sector unions are signed up to longer term contracts with wage increases below what the BCTF is asking for.
That's this dispute though. My "reversing the language used" flippancy (but still making a serious point) was on the general point of disputes since 1987.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

ladylord is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of the teachers in West Vancouver are offering out of school classes for $40 per child 9-12 each day.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

chan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nice

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
it's the 'no end in sight' aspect that is doing my head in.

I find people outside of BC have no understanding of how long this has gone on. So over it I can't even.
It started in 2002 with the stripped contracts (BCTF, HEU). HEU fought theirs first up to the Supreme Court of Canada. It won. BCTF followed with their case. With the higher court's ruling, BCTF won in the BC Supreme Court. It won a follow up ruling with the BC Supreme Court this spring when it argued the BC government didn't address its first ruling. Against legal advice, the BC government chose to appeal the second ruling (note: even the right-wing BC Conservative Party recently announced that the appeal should be dropped).

The appeal will start this October. It can take up to a year for the ruling. No matter who wins, it's likely the losing party will take it to the Supreme Court of Canada, a process that could take between 2 to 5 years. If this is road we're going down, this won't be solved until 2018-2020, a long 16-18 years of unrest. That's too long.

Really, the whole thing needs to be sent to independent, unrestricted binding arbitration. The BC Liberals will be unlikely to do this because they have been burned in the past with binding arbitration (see Stephen Smart's analysis with CBC).

The last time the province did that was in 2001, when a dispute over pay rates for B.C. doctors was handed over to arbitration. The result was an expensive ruling in the doctors’ favour and a major bill for taxpayers. The government dealt with that bill by raising the provincial sales tax to pay for it, and it has not agreed to binding arbitration since.
Neither would binding arbitration be popular with the BCTF. It feels that it has won back the full language of their stripped contracts. (See this analysis from a former Crown prosecutor)

From Justice Griffin's ruling based on testimony and redacted government documents:

[383] The government saw that the failure of the two negotiating tables could be a useful political opportunity for it. As early as June 2011, the government was considering a strategy of a combined legislative response to an expected teachers' strike...

[384] The government thought that a teachers strike would give the government a political advantage in imposing legislation that the public might otherwise not support.
and Justice Griffin awarded the following:

[635] I find that an appropriate damages award, serving the functions of compensation, vindication, and deterrence, but without being so large as to unduly take from the public purse and other public programs, is $2 million awarded to the BCTF as the bargaining agent representing teachers.

610: The result will be to return the Working Conditions clauses to the collective agreement effective as of July 1, 2002, as already noted, and I find that whatever labour relations grievances and remedies flow from this will be a sufficient remedy in respect of that piece of the legislation.
Don't be fooled by the presentation of this as a case of simple wages and benefits. Really, this is all about the BC Supreme Court ruling and its ramifications.

Either way, this isn't fair to the students, parents, and yes, even teachers who are trying their best to support education in BC as this fight is going on. Really, this needs to be solved soon, and independent, unrestricted binding arbitration might just be the best way.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 5:07 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by chan_konabe
It started in 2002 with the stripped contracts (BCTF, HEU). HEU fought theirs first up to the Supreme Court of Canada. It won. BCTF followed with their case. With the higher court's ruling, BCTF won in the BC Supreme Court. It won a follow up ruling with the BC Supreme Court this spring when it argued the BC government didn't address its first ruling. Against legal advice, the BC government chose to appeal the second ruling (note: even the right-wing BC Conservative Party recently announced that the appeal should be dropped).

The appeal will start this October. It can take up to a year for the ruling. No matter who wins, it's likely the losing party will take it to the Supreme Court of Canada, a process that could take between 2 to 5 years. If this is road we're going down, this won't be solved until 2018-2020, a long 16-18 years of unrest. That's too long.

Really, the whole thing needs to be sent to independent, unrestricted binding arbitration. The BC Liberals will be unlikely to do this because they have been burned in the past with binding arbitration (see Stephen Smart's analysis with CBC).

Neither would binding arbitration be popular with the BCTF. It feels that it has won back the full language of their stripped contracts. (See this analysis from a former Crown prosecutor)

From Justice Griffin's ruling based on testimony and redacted government documents:

and Justice Griffin awarded the following:

Don't be fooled by the presentation of this as a case of simple wages and benefits. Really, this is all about the BC Supreme Court ruling and its ramifications.
Either way, this isn't fair to the students, parents, and yes, even teachers who are trying their best to support education in BC as this fight is going on. Really, this needs to be solved soon, and independent, unrestricted binding arbitration might just be the best way.
If this was truly the case, why not drop the salary and benefits demands that are way above anyone else's in the public sector. They can't have their cake and eat it. Strikes (no pun) me, double standards work both ways.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

chan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nice

If this was truly the case, why not drop the salary and benefits demands that are way above anyone else's in the public sector. They can't have their cake and eat it. Strikes (no pun) me, double standards work both ways.
They've already done this in the late 90's. In exchange of 0's for salary, the teachers took improvements in their working conditions (class size limits and specialist teacher ratios). All of this was stripped by the BC government in 2002 without any compensation. So the teachers lost both their working conditions and fell behind with regards to their salary (for taking the several years of 0's). This is at the heart of the current court case.

You can't blame the teachers if they are reluctant to make the same choice again.

Last edited by chan_konabe; Sep 3rd 2014 at 5:18 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.