Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

2020 - movies seen this year

2020 - movies seen this year

Old Dec 29th 2021, 1:32 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 - movies seen this year

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Watched "Don't Look Up" on Netflix... absolutely hilarious. Terrifyingly accurate satire, truly wonderful stuff. And the cast...!!!!
Watched it Christmas Eve - thoroughly enjoyed it
Old Dec 29th 2021, 4:05 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Watched "Don't Look Up" on Netflix... absolutely hilarious. Terrifyingly accurate satire, truly wonderful stuff. And the cast...!!!!
For such a high profile cast, I am surprised this escaped my attention until your post.
Very good, so many things worked in this movie.
Old Dec 29th 2021, 10:03 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Nice scientific analysis of Don't Look Up from Prof Brian Cox.

Old Dec 30th 2021, 1:11 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Hand of God (Netflix) was good, although very Italian. It's a coming of age story rather than football. Did Maradona's Hand of God goal count in the end or was it disqualified ? I didn't know he played for Napoli.
Old Dec 30th 2021, 1:14 pm
Yo

Into the White (Pluto TV) was an inspiring war film. Some Brits and Germans crash in snowy Norway and end up sharing a log cabin for a few days. It really underscores the tragedy of warring European nations.
Old Dec 30th 2021, 1:18 pm
Yo

The Silent Sea (Netflix series) exciting and suspenseful Korean science fiction drama on a troubled lunar base. Really interesting concept, had to binge watch.
Old Dec 30th 2021, 1:20 pm
Yo

1000 Miles from Christmas (Netflix). Very good seasonal Spanish romcom. I usually run a thousand miles from Xmas films, but this being set in the Pyrenees got a pass, and it was a genuinely engaging film.
Old Dec 30th 2021, 3:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Did Maradona's Hand of God goal count in the end or was it disqualified ? I didn't know he played for Napoli.
Heathen.

Yes it counted. No VAR back then
Old Dec 30th 2021, 4:27 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Heathen.

Yes it counted. No VAR back then
Thanks and thanks (VAR). Have heard that phrase over the years, just never knew much about it.
Old Jan 5th 2022, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Accurate satire, and great cast, but it didn't work at all for me. Apart from maybe the last ten minutes, that was good.
I know what you mean.... it took me a while to get into it I thought the satire was too much... albeit accurate.

Like you I think the last third of the film stuck out more for me, it was very poignant and powerful, and also I think accurate, showing how people reacted so differently in many places all over the world, once they knew that it was actual going to happen.....and were no longer in denial/ill informed. I think that's just how it would be.
Old Jan 5th 2022, 5:19 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I know what you mean.... it took me a while to get into it I thought the satire was too much... albeit accurate.

Like you I think the last third of the film stuck out more for me, it was very poignant and powerful, and also I think accurate, showing how people reacted so differently in many places all over the world, once they knew that it was actual going to happen.....and were no longer in denial/ill informed. I think that's just how it would be.
Yes, I thought the portrayal of the Whitehouse politicians was too slapstick. Leo and Jennifer both played their parts well, and the storyline was excellent. It's amazing to think (as per the Brian Cox video posted) that all this really could happen within the space of six months.
Old Feb 22nd 2022, 12:10 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

We went to the actual cinema (hooray!!) and saw "Boiling Point", a fantastic new movie starring Stephen Graham as a very stressed chef in a high-pressure restaurant. Shot in one continuous take, both Graham and the supporting cast are absolutely outstanding. Recommended!

Mentioned the above movie to our son, who laughed and said,""Boiling Point" is terrific but if you want to see stress have a look at "Uncut Gems"". We watched it this weekend, I felt like I needed a holiday afterwards Also recommended!
Old Feb 22nd 2022, 12:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We went to the actual cinema (hooray!!) and saw "Boiling Point", a fantastic new movie starring Stephen Graham as a very stressed chef in a high-pressure restaurant. Shot in one continuous take, both Graham and the supporting cast are absolutely outstanding. Recommended!

Mentioned the above movie to our son, who laughed and said,""Boiling Point" is terrific but if you want to see stress have a look at "Uncut Gems"". We watched it this weekend, I felt like I needed a holiday afterwards Also recommended!
I very much liked Uncut Gems. That film goes at a clip, a double bill with Nomadland would put the audience back in mental balance.
Old Feb 22nd 2022, 5:34 pm
Yo

Army of Theives (Neflix) an amusing European safe cracking caper. Hints of Ocean Eleven. Occasional zombie. 7/10

Old Feb 24th 2022, 1:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

profile - compelling thriller made on a budget of fourteen shillings and sixpence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.