Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

Retiring to Malta ...

Retiring to Malta ...

Old Jan 10th 2014, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to Malta ...

Originally Posted by not2old
good to read from someone that lives in Malta or Gozo. Since this thread is titled 'Retiring to Malta' forgive me if I come off as being rude when I ask you how you would know about places & things 'retirees' would do or live a lifestyle on Gozo when your profile says that you are 21 years old?
Hehe, maybe she has a Nana and Nanu living there, and trust me if she does i'm sure she can give a very very detailed description of what older folk do on Gozo... (Rachel Ann i'm sure being Gozitan you'll know what I mean) I mean I certainly can give a good idea of what retired people do on Gozo, and i'm 15. As for the language issue, it's a non-issue (responding to not2old) as [mostly] everyone on Gozo speaks english, and the locals all speak the Gozitan dialect of Maltese... I have no trouble when i'm there and I only know a little Maltese. The only gripe I have is when my Gozitan friends start speaking Maltese around me on purpose when they know I don't understand, then suspiciously giggling afterwards... (yes, these are female friends... )
Old Jan 10th 2014, 9:41 am
Just Joined

rachelann is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by not2old
good to read from someone that lives in Malta or Gozo. Since this thread is titled 'Retiring to Malta' forgive me if I come off as being rude when I ask you how you would know about places & things 'retirees' would do or live a lifestyle on Gozo when your profile says that you are 21 years old?

Suppose someone retired was to move to Gozo, are there any specific suggestions that you would make with regards to accommodation types and location? Also for those that are English speaking only, how would they cope with the many languages spoken on the island especially Maltese?
Hi, it's okay, you're not coming across as rude. I live next to a block of apartments with just English and German retirees. English is Malta's official language along with Maltese, so it's pretty easy to communicate with the locals. Most Maltese know Italian as well, but English predominates all other languages. There are also areas in Malta where people only speak in English.

As for accommodation types, it's much easier and cheaper to buy a property than land, and you'll save all the efforts of having to apply for water, electricity and so on. Every village in Gozo has its own particular characteristics.

I live in Nadur, and it organises several events throughout the year such as the wine festival, night Carnival, trips around Gozo and Malta, and so on, and it also has 2 beaches. Victoria, the capital city of Gozo, is the central village in Gozo in that you can find everything there, and you don't even need a car to get around. You can find most of the shopping arcades there, the hospital, many restaurants, and so on. It really depends on what interests you. Some villages are more centered on heritage, others more on entertainment.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 9:43 am
Just Joined

rachelann is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Took the words right out of my mouth! Your situation is exactly what I would want to do when I get home! (I'm from Gozo too if you can't tell by the username )

To the OP, this is a very very accurate description of life in Gozo, and I couldn't have written it better myself.

Rachel Ann if you're willing I have a few questions about living in Gozo, as I haven't grown up there like you, i'm Gozitan by descent living in Canada, but consider Gozo home, always loved going there to visit Nana u Nanu, and see myself living there in the near future
Hi Gozitan guy! I don't mind answering questions. After all it's the reason I joined this forum Where are your Nanna and Nannu from?
Old Jan 10th 2014, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelann
Hi Gozitan guy! I don't mind answering questions. After all it's the reason I joined this forum Where are your Nanna and Nannu from?
Hey Rachel, we are from Sannat...
Anyway my questions are about the cost of living, the cost of cars (insurance/road tax/petrol/everything) , and general living in Gozo. (Nana and Nanu's refusal to tell me much due to their disapproval of me wanting to live there gets a bit old... )

How much does car insurance cost (and who are you with, I know there is multiple companies such as Middlesea/Laferla, Atlas, Elmo and GasanMamo)
Being 21 its probably still pretty expensive if you have a car... and how much is your road tax?

How much does your weekly food expense cost?
How much does it cost (roughly) to rent a flat (with air condition!) in a village in Gozo. (I dont care which village, i've been there enough to know that they are all a quick drive away from each other)

Thanks
P.S the reason i didnt make a new thread is these questions could be beneficial to OP.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Kezar is an unknown quantity at this point

quick questions regarding the roads are they ok for cycling?

I should add for a road bike not a mountain bike. I have cycled all my life and plan to retire in 2 years and would hate to live somewhere where I could not ride my bike.

If cycling is popular are there any cycling clubs that anyone knows of?

regards and thanks for help
Old Feb 9th 2014, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kezar

I should add for a road bike not a mountain bike. I have cycled all my life and plan to retire in 2 years and would hate to live somewhere where I could not ride my bike.

Short answer, no. There is another thread in this forum created by slammer47 which pertains to motorbikes but the same would apply to pedal bikes.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 11:49 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kezar

roads in general are bad

http://www.maltainsideout.com/13509/...r-your-life-2/

good news is cycling in Malta is popular

http://www.elitecycles.org/road_racing.html

http://www.team-greens.com/

https://www.facebook.com/QormiCyclingClub