Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

Tried a long stay winter holiday in Malta?

Tried a long stay winter holiday in Malta?

Old Feb 11th 2014, 8:17 am
Just Joined

maggiefraser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tried a long stay winter holiday in Malta?

Having become disenchanted with the level of corruption and money-grabbing tactics in Spain, we have decided to look elsewhere in Europe to spend our winters. We have never been to Malta but family members have holidayed there and loved it. We are thinking of taking one of those cheap, long stay winter holidays to check out Malta and Gozo before making up our minds whether it is a place we want to rent an apartment/town house every winter for up to 6 months. Has anyone been on a long stay winter holiday to Malta. If so, would you recommend one?
Old Feb 11th 2014, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Tried a long stay winter holiday in Malta?

Well, lots of views but no replies so I'm guessing that no-one who frequents this site has been on one of those long stay winter holidays. Perhaps the best way forward is to rent somewhere for 3 or 4 weeks and look around for ourselves before next winter. Can anyone recommend somewhere where we might actually remain warm INSIDE in the winter? As far as I've read, the property in Malta and Gozo is built very much for the hot weather, just like it is in Spain, although in Spain a lot of the better new builds are addressing this issue.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. Sorry we couldn't get to you sooner... Although the forum is free and we are all volunteering here... Most of the views are people who scour the Europe forums and don't know much about Malta, hence they don't reply...

Anyway i'm Maltese and i'm happy to help with your queries...

I have family that lives there year round and I have visited in Winter... The houses being cold IS an issue, but can be easily be circumvented by using a heater. (But people in Malta are too cheap for that usually )
I would definitely recommend going to Malta, it is great weather in the winter, 15 Celcius at the moment, and this is the "cold" part of the year for my fellow Maltese and Gozitans... I would recommend Gozo if you are looking for a more quiet, relaxing, slower pace of life place to spend your winter, and Malta if you want a go-go party kind of lifestyle... Theres a substantial amount of retired brits on Gozo... If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Old Feb 12th 2014, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Thank you, Gotitanguy, both for your explanation of how this site is run (highly commendable) and of Malta. The more I read, the more I want to be there. We'll definitely spend some time on Gozo whilst we're there, hopefully within the next few weeks. I will probably have some more questions later...thanks for your offer!
Old Feb 12th 2014, 8:33 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

adding to post 3

http://weather.sg.msn.com/monthly_av...ns=wc:10126431

http://www.maltaweather.com/climate.shtml

The older stone walls/floor houses are cold & damp just the way the old one room cold fired houses of the UK past. It can be colder & damper inside than outside in Malta during the winter.

Electricity is expensive offset by less in the summer if you have a nice open window on the breeze.

As gozo guy mentioned living & lifestyle in the small island is not for everyone - but I agree Malta over Spain.

If you want a cheap long stay (self catering) so you can do all of your own cooking, have the electricity, TV & wi-fi included you can do it (low season Nov - March) for about 550 euros/mth or cheaper

PM me if you want further info & I can give you that for a few places we stayed at.

Or you can go the 6 month furnished apartment rental (watch the waiting list on this one) for between 400 - 700 euro/mth depending on your budget & lavish lifestyle, but you'll need to pay deposits, on all kinds of things including paying on top of the rental .... utilities, Cable TV, water etc etc

Last edited by not2old; Feb 12th 2014 at 9:01 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Many thanks for your reply, not2old, and I am sending you a pm for those details you mention.