Reload this Page >

Hello /Advice - where to live and jobs

Hello /Advice - where to live and jobs

Old Aug 10th 2016, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

French bubbles is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Hello /Advice - where to live and jobs

Hi all,
My husband and I are currently in our 50s, living and, in my husband's case, working in France but we are British. We have both visited Malta over the years, in my case in my late teens and his case for work.

Our kids are at university in the UK (studying computer science and jewellery design and silversmithing) and ultimately we are all looking to move to Malta...we think.

We are coming over in September on a 3 week reconnaissance visit and we were hoping for suggestions of places worth investigating for work and to live.

First we are looking for locations to live if anyone has any recommendations and observations on where to avoid. A lot of the threads we have read are incredibly negative but we have already experienced living as an expat and realise the compromises so we are not totally put off. At the moment based on our past visits our focus is on Mellieha Bay and St Peter's Pool. We are also interested in Gozo but we have never been there.

-We are assuming that there is less work on Gozo but its a nicer/cheaper place to live.
- From different threads on this site we see internet coverage is not great across the islands ... is there any way of identifying areas with good coverage.
- We love sailing so would like to be near a marina and close enough to hear the sea
- We would like to avoid disco/party type tourist areas
- Access to good healthcare - we would be interested in knowing how good is the provision on Gozo compared to the main island.
- Any other advice ......

Although we are in our 50s we are both hoping to work or start a business in Malta. Our skills are in property (I'm a chartered surveyor), teaching English as a Foreign Language, GCSE level maths, science, art and business studies and A Level Business and Economics (I'm not a qualified teacher but I have worked in international schools and as a tutor), my passion is contemporary art so I would love to work in a gallery and my husband is in aviation financing. We could work for an existing or start a new business after a bit of local experience if possible.

We are hoping some of you have experience of finding work or setting up businesses which could be helpful. Also ideas on which locations might be most interesting. We have looked at a few web sites and there are jobs in our fields but of course there may be the normal prejudice against older workers???

Any insight would be appreciated so we can book into hotels near where we are looking.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 15th 2016, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello /Advice - where to live and jobs

Originally Posted by French bubbles
Hi all,
My husband and I are currently in our 50s, living and, in my husband's case, working in France but we are British. We have both visited Malta over the years, in my case in my late teens and his case for work.

Our kids are at university in the UK (studying computer science and jewellery design and silversmithing) and ultimately we are all looking to move to Malta...we think.

We are coming over in September on a 3 week reconnaissance visit and we were hoping for suggestions of places worth investigating for work and to live.

First we are looking for locations to live if anyone has any recommendations and observations on where to avoid. A lot of the threads we have read are incredibly negative but we have already experienced living as an expat and realise the compromises so we are not totally put off. At the moment based on our past visits our focus is on Mellieha Bay and St Peter's Pool. We are also interested in Gozo but we have never been there.

-We are assuming that there is less work on Gozo but its a nicer/cheaper place to live.
- From different threads on this site we see internet coverage is not great across the islands ... is there any way of identifying areas with good coverage.
- We love sailing so would like to be near a marina and close enough to hear the sea
- We would like to avoid disco/party type tourist areas
- Access to good healthcare - we would be interested in knowing how good is the provision on Gozo compared to the main island.
- Any other advice ......

Although we are in our 50s we are both hoping to work or start a business in Malta. Our skills are in property (I'm a chartered surveyor), teaching English as a Foreign Language, GCSE level maths, science, art and business studies and A Level Business and Economics (I'm not a qualified teacher but I have worked in international schools and as a tutor), my passion is contemporary art so I would love to work in a gallery and my husband is in aviation financing. We could work for an existing or start a new business after a bit of local experience if possible.

We are hoping some of you have experience of finding work or setting up businesses which could be helpful. Also ideas on which locations might be most interesting. We have looked at a few web sites and there are jobs in our fields but of course there may be the normal prejudice against older workers???

Any insight would be appreciated so we can book into hotels near where we are looking.

Thanks in advance
Are you planning to Rent?
Mellieha ( big expat coummity brits and russians)and near Marsaxloxx are nice - Gozo cheaper but difficuilt if commuting for work. A new teaching hospital is being built in gozo with a uk partner. There are less queues in Gozo for health care. Heath care generally good here and Brits benefit from teh reciprocal health agreement.

Avoid Marsa, and Parts of Gzira and Hal Far. Avoid st Julians as busy nightlife and noisy in summer. On north side, Look at Naxxar/Ghargur/ Mosta/ Ibrag/ ( used to be St Andrews)and Pembroke, as accessible to most areas you are likely to find work in.

however most of the english language schools are in st julians sliema valletta- to be licenced to teach you also need to do an exam in malta held twice a year. TEFL and TELT - Alan Marsh
alan marsh runs good courses.
Rates of pay are low 6-8 euros per hour in schools for young foreign students who come to malta to learn english.

Internet is good all over malta, melita fibre or Go which is also good. both expensive now, and customer service poorish . Check out if property is already wired up for one of them.

Property skills- here they use architects and the building scene is dominated by the Maltese.

Art gallery, several but very poorly paid if you are helping out.

Aviation financing, do not know about this but think it sounds like a better bet for work.

Work wise a lot of companies/financial etc are now in the Mriehel area/near Attard who used to be in Sliema. There are lots of gaming companies.

Work is not well paid and as its a small place, (smaller than the isle of wight) not a lot to go round. Being employed by a foreign company is a better bet.

Sailing- check out the Royal Malta Yacth RMYC.ORG: Royal Malta Yacht Club : Welcome

Also the British resident's association britishresidentsinmalta.org
closed in august.

there are lots of social and cultural activities at low cost and many expats from different countries to meet up with

I would hire a car to get around all the places quickly. I can pm you a reliable lower cost company,
Old Aug 16th 2016, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much. We will focus on the areas you suggest and follow up on the leads you have given us.
We would appreciate the name of the car company.
Initially we will rent but we would like to buy although we are a bit confused about the tax rules which seem to suggest we can only be resident to 6 months a year before we pay local rates.
If British Residents are closed are there any other groups of British expats who might like to join us for a drink when we visit and share their experience and wisdom?
Many thanks
Old Aug 16th 2016, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much. We will focus on the areas you suggest and follow up on the leads you have given us.
We would appreciate the name of the car company.
Initially we will rent but we would like to buy although we are a bit confused about the tax rules which seem to suggest we can only be resident to 6 months a year before we pay local rates.
If British Residents are closed are there any other groups of British expats who might like to join us for a drink when we visit and share their experience and wisdom?
Many thanks
Re British residents, I would email them on their contact form, Someone will be in touch, it's just they don't have coffee mornings and lunches till after the summer. I am sure you could meet up with the people who organize the different groups by location.
Renting- officially until you have been in Malta one year, you have to pay 7% vat on your rental. However many landlords ignore this. If you mean utilities, once you are resident with your resident card, you can ask landlord to put your name on bills so you get a discount. Not all will do that though. There is no council tax in Malta. Will PM you car details
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 11:06 am
Just Joined

Hi
Not sure how PM works on this forum...still interested in the car though. Thanks
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi
Not sure how PM works on this forum...still interested in the car though. Thanks
I sent you a pm at the same time as the last post. A pm normally pops up on the page after you log in. Try going to top right of page and it says 'private messages', click on that.. hopefully you will see it.