Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to Penang

Looking to move to Penang

Old Apr 9th 2018, 10:35 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to Penang

Originally Posted by Michael Cullen
Many thanks for your kind reply...that's the way I was figuring it. The only other reply I got was rude and told me I was in the wrong thread...a polite way to treat a newcomer..are all the British in Penang as bad as this?

Michael
A lot of different expats in Penang but, for sure, a lot of Brits and an understanding of British sarcasam is always useful.... also when on a British internet forum.

The MM2H rules seem to be getting stricter and requires more money. There are other choices. Check if the Sarawak MM2H fits the bill. There is a Thailand retirement visa - I am a little out of touch with that (I did it over 10 years ago) but go over to the Thailand sub forum and ask questions. Sri Lanka also has a retirement programme. There are probably others. Best of luck with your research!! We have all been there, done that.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 10:39 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

If you havent found it, there's a sub section with this Malaysia section, Retirement and MM2H. You'll find many posts about MM2H including some recent ones on Sarawak MM2H.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice, Baked Bean. The Financial requirements for the "Over-60" 1 Year Retirement Visa in Thailand is quite close to the SarawakM2H. For Thailand it's EITHER a Bank Deposit of ฿800,000 (@US$25,500) OR ฿65,000/monthly pension (US$1645). There is a 90 Day reporting requirement as well. I don't know if they require an agent/sponsor, though.

The Philippines has the SRRV (Special Resident Retiree Visa) 1. With Pension - 50 years old and above - the required time deposit is US$10,000.00 plus a monthly pension of US$800.00 for a single applicant and US$1,000 for couple.
2. Without Pension 50 years old and above - US$20,000.00 time deposit
35 to 49 years old - US$50,000.00 time deposit. You cannot buy property in the Philippines unless you are married to a Philippina/o.

Lot's of options and, of course, one has to weigh in the issues of financial and social stability, crime, corruption, activities, language, health care, taxation, etc.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

The topic starter did not indicate whether he is looking for a retirement/residence visa, or whether he needs a work permit as well. I think it is a bit premature to already point towards MM2H or "MM2H-like" visa without knowing his requirements.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 9:11 pm

Poster seems to be looking at mm2h requirements. See comment about income. Unless I am misinterpreting. Anyway he can let us know.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedApe
Good advice, Baked Bean. The Financial requirements for the "Over-60" 1 Year Retirement Visa in Thailand is quite close to the SarawakM2H. For Thailand it's EITHER a Bank Deposit of ฿800,000 (@US$25,500) OR ฿65,000/monthly pension (US$1645). There is a 90 Day reporting requirement as well. I don't know if they require an agent/sponsor, though.

The Philippines has the SRRV (Special Resident Retiree Visa) 1. With Pension - 50 years old and above - the required time deposit is US$10,000.00 plus a monthly pension of US$800.00 for a single applicant and US$1,000 for couple.
2. Without Pension 50 years old and above - US$20,000.00 time deposit
35 to 49 years old - US$50,000.00 time deposit. You cannot buy property in the Philippines unless you are married to a Philippina/o.

Lot's of options and, of course, one has to weigh in the issues of financial and social stability, crime, corruption, activities, language, health care, taxation, etc.
You don't need a sponsor or agent for retirement visa. You can get OA visa now from Thai Embassy in your home country. No need to be 60 for OA visa.