British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Looking to move to Penang (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/looking-move-penang-911368/)

Michael Cullen Apr 5th 2018 6:27 pm

Looking to move to Penang

Hello all,

I'm a British citizen currently living ine New York City. I am looking at moving to Penang ( I have some Maylasian friends so know a little about it).

My concern is that my monthly income is around $1600-1700 ...is this below what you are supposed to have? Are there any other ways of staying in Malaysia..I only have a few thousand in savings?

I look forward to hearing from anyone out there.

Michael

columbine Apr 6th 2018 3:17 am

Re: Penang regular meetups for mm2hers and newbies

Originally Posted by Michael Cullen (Post 12476442)
Hello all,

I'm a British citizen currently living ine New York City. I am looking at moving to Penang ( I have some Maylasian friends so know a little about it).

My concern is that my monthly income is around $1600-1700 ...is this below what you are supposed to have? Are there any other ways of staying in Malaysia..I only have a few thousand in savings?

Michael

Are you planning to come as a tourist for 3 month stay? if that's the case the amount you have is good, though not sufficient for MM2H application.

SushiFan Apr 6th 2018 5:55 am

Re: Penang regular meetups for mm2hers and newbies

Hello all,

Michael

I think that it would have been better if you had started your own thread, instead of hijacking a thread about a topic unrelated to visa and residence permits.

Jerseygirl Apr 6th 2018 12:13 pm

Re: Looking to move to Penang

Hello all,

Michael

Welcome to BE.

I have moved your post and subsequent replies into a new thread. :)

RedApe Apr 6th 2018 4:02 pm

If you intend to stay semi-permanently with a long-term social visa then you cannot get a Malaysia My Second Home visa with your income.

However, if you could find a Sarawak sponsor, you could possibly qualify for the Sarawak My Second Home program with US$1850. The amount was lower just about a month ago but the dollar has been plummeting vs. the Ringgit. If it continues you may need an even larger amount. Or you could establish a RM150,000 Fixed account (~US$39,000) in a local bank.

Michael Cullen Apr 6th 2018 4:08 pm

Many thanks for your kind reply...that's the way I was figuring it. The only other reply I got was rude and told me I was in the wrong thread...a polite way to treat a newcomer..are all the British in Penang as bad as this?

Michael

Jerseygirl Apr 6th 2018 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Cullen (Post 12476897)
Many thanks for your kind reply...that's the way I was figuring it. The only other reply I got was rude and told me I was in the wrong thread...a polite way to treat a newcomer..are all the British in Penang as bad as this?

Michael

SushiFan was correct. Most likely your post would have been overlooked in that thread. General rule of thumb...new topic...new thread. ;)

Michael Cullen Apr 6th 2018 4:59 pm

If I knew how to start a thread..I would.

Jerseygirl Apr 6th 2018 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Cullen (Post 12476923)
If I knew how to start a thread..I would.

OK here you go...

Go the the forum’s index page...down a little...on the left hand side you will see a tab marked ‘New Thread’. Click on this and hey presto you can start a new thread.

Malaysia - British Expats

Michael Cullen Apr 6th 2018 5:16 pm

That explains it....'new thread' doesn't show on mine!

Jerseygirl Apr 6th 2018 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Cullen (Post 12476929)
That explains it....'new thread' doesn't show on mine!

Perhaps you are looking at the wrong page. It doesn’t show on this page...only on that particular forum’s index page as per my link.

Can you take a screen shot of the page you are looking at please?

Michael Cullen Apr 6th 2018 5:50 pm

I found it/...on Holiday Inn under 'thread starter.

Thanks

Jerseygirl Apr 6th 2018 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Cullen (Post 12476942)
I found it/...on Holiday Inn under 'thread starter.

Thanks

Sorry I have no idea what that means.:unsure:

Anyways...if you have any site related problems give me a shout.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/priva...=newpm&u=46095

Michael Cullen Apr 6th 2018 7:50 pm

Thanks..I've found it all. Actually I've decided to move to anyplace where I can understand the website!

Jerseygirl Apr 6th 2018 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Cullen (Post 12477020)
Thanks..I've found it all. Actually I've decided to move to anyplace where I can understand the website!

We have over a quarter of a million members who have managed to navigate BE...I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it. ;)

Stick around. :fingerscrossed: