Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

The historic vessel Vega

The historic vessel Vega

Old Jan 10th 2016, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

TousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The historic vessel Vega

They plan to turn the boat around today, Monday, at 2pm & sail this evening.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 2:34 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, they told me this morning. It got delayed.

Was down there this morning "supervising" moving my late-husband's musical equipment from my condo unit in Tg Tg down to Straits Quay, as Vega is going to donate it all to some guy in Timor.

Fabulous morning. They get equipment. I get an empty room in my home. All good
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 10:46 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

They've got a spot of bovver. Generator has conked out up in Langkawi.

I found a name at the manufacturers in the US and *bingo* seemed to have hit the right guy, as he is offering a new generator at cost. But still expensive.

They've set up a GoFundMe site for donations here:
https://www.gofundme.com/6pj5uvqk

If the link doesn't work in the country that you are in, you can also donate here:
Support the VEGA
This link worked for me via PayPal.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

BB, has your favourite sailing vessel returned to Penang? I see a tall ship with two masts on the sea, in front of the Straits Quai harbour.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 12:48 pm

It has indeed but the tides are not right so,they're anchored outside until Tuesday then off they go to foreign parts. Looks like Ms bakedbean is doing some chauffeuring for them on Monday. Keeps me out of trouble.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Ms BB.....Are they planning to dock in Bali (Benoa)?...if so...maybe I can help them with transport or whatever...would love to see the boat.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Davita
Ms BB.....Are they planning to dock in Bali (Benoa)?...if so...maybe I can help them with transport or whatever...would love to see the boat.
I doubt it but I'll ask the skipper's partner tomorrow. I think once they get out east Indonesia way it's all deliveries to remote places. I suspect they are behind schedule once again (probably due to the generator going kaput).
Old Apr 26th 2016, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Davita
No, they don't go there. But they said to say Thank You for the offer.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 9:16 am

So...I think they have gone now. Ms bakedbean did a bit of chauffeuring on Monday for the crew to mainly do their "check out" from Malaysia. My God, it makes you thankful to be based on dry land. What a palaver.

Over to Immigration at Weld Quay and much paper filling, "discussions", see the Harbour Master, more paper filling, see Customs, more paper filling. And then Immigration decides that one person cannot validate the rest of the crew, so there had to be a swap round of personnel on the Vega, and yours truly had to go do it all over again in the afternoon.

Have to say that they all looked totally knackered.

Because of the tides not working for them this short trip, the boat had to be anchored out at sea. Which meant some deliveries were a bit challenging. Nice to see the E&O boat Lady Martina helping out ferrying packages from the quay to the vessel.

They are off to Singapore next to do some more pick-ups, then Jakarta (I think) then off to do the deliveries in remote places.

Back in Penang in December-ish all being well.

Here's a pic I took early yesterday morning. The sun shines on the righteous!
Attached Thumbnails The historic vessel Vega-20160425_090241.jpg  
Old May 4th 2016, 8:09 am

They're in Singapore!! And here's a photo I've borrowed from them just to prove it.

They're berthed at Marina Keppel Bay till about the 14th but, before you go rushing down to take a look, I am told by the skipper that security is tight down there and you'll probably find it impossible to get close

They are picking up a load of Kits-for-Kids which have been donated by some Singapore schools. Presumably they will have access to the vessel.
Attached Thumbnails The historic vessel Vega-vega-singapore.jpg  
Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:10 pm

Love this time of the year when Vega is posting pics of their deliveries in far flung places and you can really see just why they are doing what they are doing!

Sharing a few pictures that the skipper has posted on FB. I have permission to share.

They've just been delivering Kits For Kids. This is where kits are made up by schools in places like Singapore, Jakarta, all loaded and delivered to remote islands. These are at Waimanuboe. God knows where that is...even Google does not know but probably the skipper has spelled it wrongly. But somewhere out Timor way I am guessing, or beyond.
Attached Thumbnails The historic vessel Vega-vega-1.jpg   The historic vessel Vega-vega-2.jpg  
Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:14 pm

Just a few more pics. This place sure looks remote but very scenic. Most of these kids will have never seen a backpack in their short lives so clueless how to wear them but they don't care.
Attached Thumbnails The historic vessel Vega-vega-3.jpg   The historic vessel Vega-vega-4.jpg   The historic vessel Vega-vega-5.jpg  
Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:17 pm

You can see more pics on their FB page which they update regularly. The website doesn't seem to get updated too much. I guess they do the easy thing while they can.

The skipper tells me that they hope to be back in Penang in December-ish. I will keep you all posted with definite dates. You can never plan too much on the high seas. The vessel is definitely worth a visit and a chat with the guys that do the hard work, and I am sure they would be grateful for any donations too. The project is totally self-funded so totally relying on donations.

I'll post more as and when.