Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

The historic vessel Vega

The historic vessel Vega

Old Dec 18th 2015, 8:23 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The historic vessel Vega

I have to admit I am clueless what to do with it but Google says you use it like nutmeg in savoury dishes. I may give one or both of them away.

The book is just great by the way. I read the preface over lunch. He's a very good writer and a funny guy. Can tell a good yarn. You can also buy it on Amazon I believe.....but I have a nice signed copy
Old Dec 18th 2015, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I have to admit I am clueless what to do with it but Google says you use it like nutmeg in savoury dishes. I may give one or both of them away.

The book is just great by the way. I read the preface over lunch. He's a very good writer and a funny guy. Can tell a good yarn. You can also buy it on Amazon I believe.....but I have a nice signed copy
Live and learn...I auto-assumed mace was what the police used to disperse crowds but it can also be a form of nutmeg (called pala in Ambon) and is a spice.
Mind you I also thought all vacuum cleaners were called 'Hoovers'.
Old Dec 18th 2015, 10:14 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I just found the "official" poster for the event at Straits Quay, so I'll post it here. Everyone in Penang, please go and visit these guys and say Hello and look around the boat.

I can recommend the book also
Attached Thumbnails The historic vessel Vega-vega-poster-open-house.jpg  
Old Dec 20th 2015, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

TousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond reputeTousTnT has a reputation beyond repute

I paid a visit yesterday, Saturday, & the three crew members were very welcoming. The security guards at SQ seem a little confused & asked for tickets but I think the misunderstanding has been sorted out. There are some great stocking fillers to buy for a good cause. I have loaded a few photos on a google photos page as well as the attached [IMG][/IMG]
Old Dec 21st 2015, 10:12 pm

Nice photos. Looks like you got the full tour. I noticed yesterday that there were more things on offer to buy...some greetings cards and other stuff.

Yes they are lovely people. Talking with the skipper's partner Meggi, I get the feeling that they are pretty overworked just the three of them. Could do with some more volunteers. Anyone one fancy a year on the boat, no pay, see lots of nice places?
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Nice photos. Looks like you got the full tour. I noticed yesterday that there were more things on offer to buy...some greetings cards and other stuff.

Yes they are lovely people. Talking with the skipper's partner Meggi, I get the feeling that they are pretty overworked just the three of them. Could do with some more volunteers. Anyone one fancy a year on the boat, no pay, see lots of nice places?
Sounds idyllic for a single person with no ties. Be sure to send regular postcards.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 6:52 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

I would refer the honorable member to the reply she gave some moments ago (post #20 actually )

It does sound perfect though.....
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 7:06 am

Haha I like my home comforts these days. It's an age thing.

I note that the skipper has just uploaded a 18 minute video all about what they do, where they visit, some nice pics and videos from along the route. I can only put in a Facebook link. Hope this works:
https://www.facebook.com/12506843422...85792/?fref=nf

I know they have a website which looks a bit out of date. I enquired with Meggi about that and she says that's one of her functions but she hasn't had time to update it lately.

Yes it looks idyllic but I think it's one helluva lot of work.... and then all the boat maintenance and problems.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Haha I like my home comforts these days. It's an age thing. I note that the skipper has just uploaded a 18 minute video all about what they do, where they visit, some nice pics and videos from along the route. I can only put in a Facebook link. Hope this works:https://www.facebook.com/12506843422...85792/?fref=nf I know they have a website which looks a bit out of date. I enquired with Meggi about that and she says that's one of her functions but she hasn't had time to update it lately. Yes it looks idyllic but I think it's one helluva lot of work.... and then all the boat maintenance and problems.
Not to mention the Indonesian visa thing. Indonesia has very strict visa control over anything where they may imply one is working. I know that the job on board is voluntary but RI Immigration will give every reason to suggest otherwise...it's called xenophobia!!!
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 8:46 am

I suspect a lot of the islands they stop off at don't have Immigration On the video, the Banda islands looked pretty remote. Some islands have no electricity, no phones, and no other communication with the outside world.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 9:15 am
Just Joined

chase2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have read about this Historic vessel Vega when I was reading the blogs of Indonesia about visiting Komodo islands.They are doing a fantastic job and gives the credit to their sponsors.Now I am in Singapore and I will make it a point to visit them this week and help them in their day to day activities.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 9:40 am
Just Joined

chase2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I mistook their docking for Singapore.May be I will wait.But my daughters are visiting Penang this weekend.I will ask them to drop in the Boat and meet them
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

I suspect a lot of the islands they stop off at don't have Immigration On the video, the Banda islands looked pretty remote. Some islands have no electricity, no phones, and no other communication with the outside world.
Please...no offense.... but a word of warning. Indonesia does have Coast Guard and Navy.Anyone entering the Republic of Indonesia (RI) without proper documentation, especially if it appears to RI Immigration that work is involved (they don't respect voluntarism much), can face a serious felony crime.Witness the two British journalists who recently entered on a Visa on Arrival (VOA) but actually photo-documented a piracy act in the Straits of Malacca for National Geographic. They were jailed for nearly 6 months before their trial; eventually found guilty and time served, fined an amount of money and deported with a red stamp in their passport.In bahasa Indonesia 'hati hati'.

Last edited by Davita; Dec 23rd 2015 at 1:11 am. Reason: something still wrong with para-phrasing on this site.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 5:54 am

Yeh, noted Davita. Seriously, these guys base themselves Jakarta, Singapore, Penang so I guess they do the Immigration formalities at these points. They've been doing this for more than 10 years now...since the Tsunami...so I guess they are well known to Immigration.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Yeh, noted Davita. Seriously, these guys base themselves Jakarta, Singapore, Penang so I guess they do the Immigration formalities at these points. They've been doing this for more than 10 years now...since the Tsunami...so I guess they are well known to Immigration.
I'm sure you're right and the crew and boat are properly documented. My warning was more for anyone considering joining for the voyage...they need to ensure their documents are correct. The visa should clearly state their reason to enter RI. Indonesian Immigration/Customs have a habit of looking for ways to screw what they consider rich foreigners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.