Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Britain Living VS Malaysia Living.

Britain Living VS Malaysia Living.

Old Nov 15th 2011, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain Living VS Malaysia Living.

We've lived in many places in Singapore.
The orientation of the last was south. It was very breezy without it being a gale and because of that was cool.
Never used an aircon ever.

Presently the orientation is north west.
Not as breezy as previously although just across the road from our south facing place but again never use an aircon, ever. The windows are tinted and the missus was thinking of getting some 3M UV inhibitor stuck on the windows as an extra help but now we've decided no need.
We've only been here a month or so though and won't be here April to October when the sun will actually shine into the rooms if the curtains aren't closed.

To my thinking it's the breeze which keeps you cool not the orientation.

And we've had our Sunday roast the last 4 weeks and I do the cooking and even then in the kitchen it's no problem with the temp.

Last edited by ex reg; Nov 15th 2011 at 3:58 am.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 3:39 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe that's why our place is cool. We don't do Roasts
Old May 13th 2012, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

kennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nice

Talking of condos,wife and me hoping to come from UK soon on mm2h.

Is condo life okay in M'sia? suppose depends which one eh, but generally . They seem so huge in the pics.
Noise a big problem?

ta

Kenny
Old May 13th 2012, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose you mean huge in the number of units per development rather than area per unit.

You might have a choice to overlook the pool, could be noisy obviously but is a nice view or you might have an outward facing unit where perhaps traffic noise might be the primary source or you might overlook an outdoor play area where kids will gather to play on apparatus with the maids taking care of them so little control of noise.
It all depends on the unit, if you are high enough maybe the noise from below will have dissipated.
When you find possible units then don't go on word of mouth from the agent or owner butsee/hear for yourself.
Visit at what you might think are peak noise times and also other times and compare. Even then you'll still be lucky if it's quiet all round the clock 24/7.
Old May 13th 2012, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

kennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nice

Many thanks ex reg
Old May 14th 2012, 4:42 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Much as what ex Reg has said though, ahem, talking from experience you can still get a fair amount of traffic noise on a high floor if on a busy road. It just seems to go straight up.... funny that. We ended up changing all our windows to better ones.

Depending on the building and where you are, you can get all sorts of noises. In our previous rental condo unit, we had no noise from outside... very peaceful... but sure as hell was noisy inside (noise coming up airwells... babies bawling, Vera Lynn singing , domestic arguments, the lot**) and that was with doors and windows closed too. In our previous unit we also could hear noise from above (chairs being scraped across floor - not much you can do about that, and toilets flushing **we were on a mid-floor so maybe not so much airwell noise from a higher unit(?)

In our current condo unit, the inner noise is quite minimal.. thicker walls and floors/ceilings we guess, as we know that neighbours are there. Don't hear much at all... err apart from traffic heheh.

Not sure you can win really.

If you go to a brand new condo, the renovation noise will be horrendous. We've just had about 6 months of that in a new condo. If I did it all over again (possible) think I might go for a re-sale unit. It at least minimizes the noise.
Old May 14th 2012, 5:52 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Dont forgot mosque noise!

Check out proximity to mosques before committing....or go at the right times and make sure you can live with it.
Old May 14th 2012, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Back in the UK for a spell now and there is no noise whatsoever.
Deathly silence at night.
No noise from next door.

In Singapore we've moved across the road from an 8 floor to a 32 floor.
Noise in the 8 floor unit was quite high us being next to a bus station and the MRT.
Got used to it easily and when we moved up to the 32 floor even though the distance to the bus station and MRT is the same the noise is substantially less.

When in UK I used to live in Osterley which was about under the Heathrow flightpath and about 30 seconds from touchdown and the plane noise never bothered me even when out in the garden.

I am a bit deaf but not much.

Maybe noise isn't a big problem for me but discos were hell on wheels.

Last edited by ex reg; May 14th 2012 at 8:12 am.
Old May 14th 2012, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Ya that's an eye opener for sure. So that would equate to 6000 ringgits per year, or 500 ringgits per month.

Well... we moved into a new condo unit a few months back. We're still averaging out the bills, but just some food for thought. Our unit is about 2400 sqf (more than double your inbuilt). We are aircon freaks... I don't mind admitting that. We have the aircon on for much of the time though not low low... we like about 26 degrees these days and preferably no Haze . Occasionally air the "house" and get some breezes through (and noise haha). No gas here. Cooking... I cook on induction hob about 3 or 4 times per week. Our electricity bill is averaging around 300 ringgits per month I think or 60 quid a month equiv. (Changing subject a bit, but orientation - east facing - accounts for a lot too, but that's another subject.)
I'm with you on the A/C BB, I would need it on pretty much full time. For those that own property in MY, has anyone considered solar panels? I am thinking of having these fitted when I have my house built. I think there are 2 types, 1 for providing hot water and another for electricity. I would have thought that would greatly reduce the bills? When I was last over a couple of years ago, we stayed with my MIL and although she allowed me to use the kitchen, I found myself spending 5 minutes at the cooker and 10 in the bedroom (the only room in the house with A/C)! She did have the big overhead fans in every room, but I find that generally just pushes the hot air around! and being with Malaysians, I find they can often generate their own hot air as well
Old May 14th 2012, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting to see the comments regarding the orientation of the house BB, although I note with interest that ex reg is of the opinion the orientation doesn't matter so much as having a breeze! I would be interested in knowing whether anyone else has an opinion on this?
Old May 15th 2012, 2:11 pm

I'd not wish to argue with exReg but when you've got a wall of glass and tropical sun 35 degrees shining in, it do get hot. I've noticed big big difference between our prev rental condo (west facing, hot sun) and current condo (southeast facing, morning sun only)
Old May 15th 2012, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I'd not wish to argue with exReg but when you've got a wall of glass and tropical sun 35 degrees shining in, it do get hot. I've noticed big big difference between our prev rental condo (west facing, hot sun) and current condo (southeast facing, morning sun only)
Last I heard the tropical sun temp was 35 million degrees or summat.

It also depends if your condo unit has a nice big balcony with another nice big balcony above your 'wall of glass'.
Old May 16th 2012, 5:47 am

It certainly felt like 35 million degrees yesterday when I was out in it
Old May 20th 2012, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Both Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Harlow Lad
Just try to justify whether its worth the move for someone who not so sure about life in Malaysia.

I'll start;

Britain Life

Pro
You can drive any normal car (nothing exotic) you want?

Con
Everyday living are extremely expensive. Just about to make end meet with working class wages (£25k-£50k).
Unreliable weather.

Malaysia Life

Pro
Good weather summer all year round. Now more heating bill and heavy coat.
Everyday living are extremely cheap especially food. You dont have to earn a lot to live in a comfortable lifestyle.
Lots of thing to do.
Cheap property.

Con
Car price is a joke.
OK I am doing around the world best places to retire and Malaysia could be possible. If you can supply your expenses then I will post my costs here in the UK and the island of Tenerife- to compare if thats OK-
1. gas
2. Electricity
3. Council tax or rates
4. house insurance
5. water costs
6. food
7. car tax/disc
8. internet broadband + phone
9. car insurance
10.petrol

If you can think of anything else thats needs costing-such as prescriptions and health for instance.
Old May 20th 2012, 4:11 am

Hi Both Worlds. It's already been done on this thread here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=electricity

Maybe tag on to that thread??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.