Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Britain Living VS Malaysia Living.

Britain Living VS Malaysia Living.

Old Feb 3rd 2014, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

gobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain Living VS Malaysia Living.

Hang on - surely I can order goodies online from Amazon ? I guess I didnt get the memo on that one
Old Feb 4th 2014, 6:08 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if you get some kind of import tax? I haven't tried so cannot say for sure.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbledonk
Hang on - surely I can order goodies online from Amazon ?(
You can certainly order some goods from Amazon - I have had DVDs and a book delivered, and reasonably quickly. But the time I tried to order an adapter for my camera lens, when I went to the checkout it told me they wouldn't deliver to Malaysia!
Old Feb 4th 2014, 1:27 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Did you have to pay any tax on the DVDs and books?
Old Feb 4th 2014, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

gobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluenose1
You can certainly order some goods from Amazon - I have had DVDs and a book delivered, and reasonably quickly. But the time I tried to order an adapter for my camera lens, when I went to the checkout it told me they wouldn't deliver to Malaysia!
I hear ya - the same thing happens in Oz with audio gear. Manufacturers with dealer networks have to protect their distributors, and that usually means a given online vendor can only sell to customers in their territory. That's can be as restrictive as 'CONUS' for some vendors, but many of the books and DVDs are supplied and sold by Amazon not a third-party. I have no idea if the US has restrictions on selling certain products to Malaysia on political grounds, but I've seen nothing in any of the audio forums to suggest that US retailers have any issue making money from Malaysian residents.

One of the things I am greatly looking forward to later this year is my trip to Tokyo/Seoul/HK - some fantastic audio gear at very good prices in each city, although Japan's 110V mains electricity means a lot of their electronics is of little use in Malaysia without a step-up transformer, and that's just not on with audio (trust me, we are a precious bunch of zealots ). Headphones and (battery-powered) headphone amps, though - let's just say I'll be like a pig in clover

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_e...nd_frequencies

FWIW, I attribute the 'odd man out' 110V mains in Japan to the US-led reconstruction post WWII : Thailand, Malaysia, HK, South Korea all have the 220-240V / 50Hz mains power compatible with Australian and UK appliances. Even France has 230V mains - I'll leave it to the board electricians to expand on the advantages of 110-120V mains over 240
Old Feb 5th 2014, 7:36 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbledonk
Hang on - surely I can order goodies online from Amazon ? I guess I didnt get the memo on that one
Hi Gobbledonk,

I suggest comparing prices including delivery on both Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com

And that if you want to shop online overseas that you check out vPost, a service offered by Singapore Post.

vPost provides you with a personalised shipping address in the USA, Europe or Japan, from where your items are forwarded by vPost to your address in Malaysia.

See: www.vpostasia.com

This works particularly well with those online stores in the USA who offer ‘free delivery’ to US addresses - so you only pay once for delivery, i.e. from USA to Malaysia with vPost.

VPost is also handy when an online store doesn’t offer a Malaysia delivery option.

BUT - Be careful that whatever you do buy goes to your local vPost address as one parcel (not a split order) as vPost will not combine packages for you, and you don't want to end up paying for two separate deliveries.

There is a list of non-dutiable goods (such as books) on the Royal Malaysian Customs Department website, see:

http://www.customs.gov.my/index.php/...points?start=1

JC3
Old Feb 5th 2014, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that JC - good to know that computers and cameras dont seem to attract any import duty in Malaysia. That will definitely make it easier when I go shopping for both.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 2:11 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

Hi gobbledonk, a minor point, the voltage in Japan is 100v. When you come to Tokyo, part from the usual electrical shops - Yodobashi, Bic Camera and Labi, check out Audio Union and if you are looking for cds, Disk Union. They have some serious kit.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

kennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nice

Hi,

regarding cars being expensive in M'sia.

I hesitated but went ahead and bought new a little Myvi SE in September.Around £9,000 i reckon.road tax is peanuts..petrol is tiny fraction of uk.so far been up and down the North - Southway highway few times and around locally. No probs whatsoever.very pleased with it have to say.servicing only every 6 months unlike japanese cars here which tend to be every 3.When took for a service, was given free breakfast and car wash.had took a little knock (reversing into my own gate!) and they sorted it very fast ,no charge.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

kennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Income tax

Optimism
In the UK everyone seems negative. It's a Mustn't Grumble syndrome
In southeast Asia there's a positive mindset. Even when problems hit, folks seem to just bounce back. It doesn't happen in UK
very very true BB. the British media doesnt help.even when somehting really pleasant happens they try to find a downside
Old Feb 6th 2014, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Did you have to pay any tax on the DVDs and books?
BB - no, not tax. Only postage.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hovite
Hi gobbledonk, a minor point, the voltage in Japan is 100v. When you come to Tokyo, part from the usual electrical shops - Yodobashi, Bic Camera and Labi, check out Audio Union and if you are looking for cds, Disk Union. They have some serious kit.
Thanks - I hope to see as much of Akihabara and the 'zoo' at Harajuku as possible. I have no idea how Tokyo is laid out - the biggest cities I've been to are HK (crowds and more crowds) and Jakarta (traffic straight from hell), so it's a little intimidating to contemplate a city that big. Still, if I dont do it this year, I'll never do it
Old Feb 10th 2014, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

nicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond repute

i have not moved over properly yet but just back from my 2nd visit, and tried this time to live as normal a life as possible while there, there are lots of positives so far, good weather, meeting like minded people who want to travel and are in the same boat. like everywhere there is good and bad, My husband who is living there already and has found a local bar he likes asked the bar manager where to take me for something to eat that was different and we went to the fish farm with his family which was lovely. The only thing I have struggled with is the blatant dislike for me being foreign, that has happened in several shops. Hopefully being there more this will get easier or I will grow a thicker skin, and thankfully having time to prepare for this helps before moving fulltime as when the emotions of leaving familiarity behind kicks in I imagine a few tears at such rudeness. Luckily we have met enough lovely people and as with everything you vote with your feet (although I did stamp my feet a bit when the 6th person was served in front of me in a food shop) although I wont go back there now. All in all far more positives than negatives and a chance to see lots of different places with short travel times
Old Feb 13th 2014, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Royce is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum, and long story short (for now) I'm seriously considering a move to Malaysia from UK. I think this seems to be the best place for information and advice and will be asking questions in the future and just wanted to say hi, and thanks in advance.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 5:23 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Royce
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum, and long story short (for now) I'm seriously considering a move to Malaysia from UK. I think this seems to be the best place for information and advice and will be asking questions in the future and just wanted to say hi, and thanks in advance.
Hi Royce and welcome to the forum - you've certainly come to the right place. I was where you are about a year ago and made the decision to retire here last October after meeting up with some of the fine people on this forum.

Check out the Retiring to Malaysia thread for some more insight.

//IVV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.