Reload this Page >

'Bond' clause in contract

'Bond' clause in contract

Old Jun 6th 2013, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Gusta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 'Bond' clause in contract

Hello all,

I am moving to Malaysia in August to become a teacher in an international school. I have just received my contract and there is a clause about placing a bond with the school. Here is the exact wording:

You are required to place a bond with SCHOOL equivalent to your one month salary which may be deducted from your first month salary for the due observance of all the terms and conditions herein for the duration of your contract with SCHOOL and your bond shall be released upon your satisfactory completion of the terms herein.

The way I interpret this is that I start work in September and then get paid one month's salary at the end of October. So I am getting paid two months in arrears.

Has anyone heard of this before? Is it common practice? Should I be avoiding this job and trying to find another?

Thanks for for reading, any comments you have will be useful!

Gusta
Old Jun 6th 2013, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: 'Bond' clause in contract

Hi again,

I found another clause which I do not like:

You are required to serve SCHOOL until completion of the fixed term of this contract (two years). You may at any time terminate your employment made under this contract by giving one academic term notice in writing and the notice shall take effect on the first day of the new term (so far this seems reasonable) and pay to SCHOOL the salaries in lieu of the remaining months to complete the full term of this contract.

Am I correct in thinking that this means if I work a year then leave that they will expect me to pay the next year's salary to them?

I do not intend to leave early but having never visited the school, I am in a precarious situation. What if the working conditions are unacceptable or I need to come back to the UK if my parents are ill?

Does anyone have any insight into this? Are all international schools this concerned with retention?

Thanks in advance,

Gusta
Old Jun 7th 2013, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Gusta

I think it's best to talk it over with the school, or anyone you know already employed there.
I think it's unreasonable to be there for two months before you get paid... especially setting up in a new country.

That bit about paying salaries... that could be interpreted as you don't get paid for the balance of your contract if you leave..... e.g. if you left after a year, and they've agreed to pay you for 2 years, then you "pay back" the money... by not getting paid.... er.... you get the gist of it!!

Worth discussing though.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the reply, GeeDee; it is useful to hear other opinions. I will certainly be discussing this with the school but want to be as informed as possible before doing so!

I agree about the salaries being interpreted as not receiving the balance. That would make a lot more sense but I do not think that is what the contract says.

Are there any HR people out there? Has anyone had a contract similar to this?

Thanks
Old Jun 7th 2013, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

kennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nice

suppose you might say i'm bit of a HR person.never won that much though.

Missed this years grand national,pity really.

kenny
Old Jun 7th 2013, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Gusta, there seem to be a few teachers on this board.... I'm sure one will come along with some good advice.
Good luck.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 2:59 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe tag onto one of the existing teacher threads? Your topic title doesn't suggest it's about teachers, so they may be missing this one. Worth a go.