Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

World Cup - England or Italy ??

World Cup - England or Italy ??

Old Jun 13th 2010, 12:37 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World Cup - England or Italy ??

I'm with AC on this one! Our anthem is dire! Easy to sing and remember is all it's got going for it tbh and who really knows the second verse!! Jerusalem or Rule Brittania, much more appropriate although Rule Brittania is probably too jingoistic and a bit outdated - do we rule the waves now??! I prefer something about the country - I'm a patriot not a royalist....What, really, is there to respect in our royal family?? Other than the queen, who I do have a lot of time for...the new lot have a lot to live up to. Don't want to ditch them - prefer our govt the way it is, but I think the anthem needs an update personally! Oh, AC, I think you'll find the "Holy Lamb of God" is Jesus and that the song is about him walking through England's pastures green and Blake etc. were singing about turning Britain into God's land - Jerusalem. So much for it not being religious! Sorry mate!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Fair enough Anderson Council. I am trying to paste the words of Jerusalem:
All together now, everybody!

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England’s mountains green:
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England’s pleasant pastures seen!
And did the countenance divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here,
Among these dark satanic mills?
Bring me my Bow of burning gold:
Bring me my Arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of fire!
I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand:
Till we have built Jerusalem,
In England’s green & pleasant Land.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 12:43 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Part - you mean you don't know it off by heart?!!

It was one of the hymns at my wedding - yep, I got married in church!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

It was my Mum's favourite and we played it and her funeral.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 1:20 pm
The Original Red Head!

Where it is normally played! But like your mum it is my fave! I hope it will be played one day at mine!! I also wanted " When a knight won his spurs" but couldn't remember it at the time and ended up with "To be a pilgrim" which is all about strife and fighting, which everyone thought was hysterical for a wedding, even the minister asked me if I was sure!!! Funny how things can give you a glimpse of the future!!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

God Save the Queen is ours. It's about us as a nation isn't it and our long history that we've managed to hold on to somehow. I don't always understand the sentiments behind it but it's what we've got. I don't really care if the footballers sing it or not. Could be worse we could all have been brainwashed like the Yanks or the Italians. My son knows the Italian national anthem off by heart. He didn't even know GSTQ was the English one. They learn it at school and they must sing.... and they say that the Brits love our rules...... I've always thought it weird that we would want to change it to flipping Jerusalem.... it's all 'Goddy' for a start plus it's called JERUSALEM noone can decide who Jerusalem belongs to as it is why the hell would we want it in the middle of England!!!???? If you're gonna change it then change it to GSTQ by the Sex Pistols or leave it be.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Another alternative as Billy Connoly said would be The Archers theme tune. It must be a generation thing, I grew up in the 50's and 60's and our parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts had experienced world wars, I suppose I grew up thinking I lived in a country worth fighting for, so singing the national anthem would come naturally. Just a thought.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PAT M
Another alternative as Billy Connoly said would be The Archers theme tune. It must be a generation thing, I grew up in the 50's and 60's and our parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts had experienced world wars, I suppose I grew up thinking I lived in a country worth fighting for, so singing the national anthem would come naturally. Just a thought.
I always thought that people fought for the freedom to choose. It's one of the things I really like about being English.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

angeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to all

Originally Posted by indiebird
God Save the Queen is ours. It's about us as a nation isn't it and our long history that we've managed to hold on to somehow. I don't always understand the sentiments behind it but it's what we've got. I don't really care if the footballers sing it or not. Could be worse we could all have been brainwashed like the Yanks or the Italians. My son knows the Italian national anthem off by heart. He didn't even know GSTQ was the English one. They learn it at school and they must sing.... and they say that the Brits love our rules...... I've always thought it weird that we would want to change it to flipping Jerusalem.... it's all 'Goddy' for a start plus it's called JERUSALEM noone can decide who Jerusalem belongs to as it is why the hell would we want it in the middle of England!!!???? If you're gonna change it then change it to GSTQ by the Sex Pistols or leave it be.
well said Indie
Old Jun 13th 2010, 2:26 pm
The Original Red Head!

Originally Posted by PAT M
So did mine... So maybe not a generational thing, just a matter of opinion?
Old Jun 13th 2010, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
So did mine... So maybe not a generational thing, just a matter of opinion?
My parents were both in the Army and so my dad did his stint in Northern Ireland in the 1970s. Not necessarily something he believed in but he signed up for the Army and so he did what he was required to do and he did believe that he was helping to keep the peace and keep Britain free of terror or whatever. I've grown up with my Great grandparents stories and now my Grandparents too and I hear about my Grandad's brother who died at Dunkirk and sent his poor mother finally mad and led my Granddad being brought up mainly by his sister with the constant feeling of never having as much potential as his brother and you do wonder what the point of it all is. To be made to sing a damn song before a football match??
Old Jun 13th 2010, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, it does boil down to an opinion really, of course I don't think the players should be forced to sing if they don't want to, it's a free country, I would just like them to sing the damn thing but that's just my opinion.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 3:04 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davehornet6
Spose i would back England as my mates are here watching the match right now and would get slaughtered if i put an Italian flag up outside. but i dont really like football much
petrol runs through my veins and football aint fast enough
I thought the doctor warned you about drinking petrol Dave
Old Jun 13th 2010, 3:12 pm
The Original Red Head!

OK, let's all agree to disagree and get back to the footie!!

I couldn't watch in the end, didn't know about the special ticket sky were offering! What a swizz! Basically a way to get you to upgrade to HD! I don't even have an HD tv!!!! But I've ordered it anyway...what are the chances of it turning up (need a new receiver all in the cost) before England get kicked out??! They just better hadn't do is all I can say!!

Btw, when we get the new forum some of the stuff we have been chatting about I think would make an interesting thread! My dad was VERY safe during WWII - apart from getting to West Africa by ship that is - so absolutely loved it!!!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've just read on the Mail Online that ITV HD's coverage missed England's first goal and showed a car advert instead. We can't pick up Rai channels at the moment (hooray so I can watch the games in English) so we are watching them all online. Thank God for modern technology. Congrats btw TR on becoming a Concierge, trez posh When my Dad was alive he used to tell my Italian relatives that he was on one of the ships that shelled Taranto. Nice conversation opener.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.