Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Single country visa vs Schengen visa

Single country visa vs Schengen visa

Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:21 am
Just Joined

Marisawright is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Single country visa vs Schengen visa

I'm British but resident in Australia, married to an Australian.

We want to spend a couple of years in the UK/Europe but it's important we stay "officially resident" in Australia for tax reasons. The key to doing that, apparently, is not to be based in one place for too long -and not to apply for residency anywhere else.

So, we're thinking of spending half the year in the UK and half the year in Italy for as long as we can get away with. The problem is obviously, how my husband can stay in Italy for six months instead of just three.

The obvious solution is to do an Italian language course, so he can get a study visa. However a six month course is expensive.

I read that if you get a visa direct from an EU country, that is counted separately from the Schengen visa. So does that mean that he could get a three month Italian study visa, nip over to Montenegro for the weekend, then come back for another 90 days under the Schengen visa? Or would we have to go to a different EU country? Or is that simply not correct?