Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

how to watch UK TV online

how to watch UK TV online

Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:55 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to watch UK TV online

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Surely a sling box wouldn't work on SKY though would it?!

As Duffer says you'd be better getting his set up if it's specifically UK TV you miss or getting a subscription to this UKTVlive set-up. I didn't go for it in the end - I just don't miss UK TV enough to be bothered! If my son wants it in the summer I might but otherwise I'm happy with SKY Italia, FOX and i-tunes!
Plus I've noticed many box sets are getting cheaper and cheaper on CD WOW and Amazon and then I can play stuff again and again anyway.
The Slingbox works with cable and satellite.
www.slingbox.com
It's a bit pricey though...
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

ballerina will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I was pretty bored the day i set up the webcam to watch Coronation St! The Slingbox loks like an incredible piece of gadgetry though! Just the thing for me. I was too excited to read all the spec thoroughly but i think it will be perfect! How come I have never heard of that before?! Thanks so much for recommending it and I was surprised too, I was expecting something a lot more pricey but it said 187€.. not too bad for free telly forever!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 8:14 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Surely a sling box wouldn't work on SKY though would it?!

As Duffer says you'd be better getting his set up if it's specifically UK TV you miss or getting a subscription to this UKTVlive set-up. I didn't go for it in the end - I just don't miss UK TV enough to be bothered! If my son wants it in the summer I might but otherwise I'm happy with SKY Italia, FOX and i-tunes!
Plus I've noticed many box sets are getting cheaper and cheaper on CD WOW and Amazon and then I can play stuff again and again anyway.
Ciao Testarossa,

Happy Easter.

How easy was it to cancel your subscription or free trial to the live uk tv service? Thinking for signing up to it just for the 2 big matches on today...
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 3:52 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Probably too late, sorry. But the trial just finished at the end of 7 days but you can't choose which channel to watch on the trial, it is a set one each day. If you sign up you can cancel after one month only and you pay by credit card.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 8:19 am
Pull my finger

Probably too late, sorry. But the trial just finished at the end of 7 days but you can't choose which channel to watch on the trial, it is a set one each day. If you sign up you can cancel after one month only and you pay by credit card.
Couldn't get the bloody thing to work on my Mac however I didn't realise you were limited to 1 channel of their choice per day during the trial.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:43 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, although I found that was okay - what it told me was I don't really miss UK TV that much. Too much of an American TV fan for it to bother me, so FOX is just perfect. Jimmy, Prime and Hallmark have some good UK shows on too and any I really want I've started to get cheap off Amazon or even i-tunes - the BBC and Channel4 is putting a few shows on there now and at £1.89 an episode I don't really notice it!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:09 am
Pull my finger

I've started to get cheap off Amazon or even i-tunes - the BBC and Channel4 is putting a few shows on there now and at £1.89 an episode I don't really notice it!
£1.89?? So I've paid the equivalent of about 175 downloads to get my UK TV (although if I had got it right first time it would have been a lot less ).
But you still have to watch it on the pc, right? Unless you can hook up the harddrive to your TV??
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

yellowdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by duffer
£1.89?? So I've paid the equivalent of about 175 downloads to get my UK TV (although if I had got it right first time it would have been a lot less ).
But you still have to watch it on the pc, right? Unless you can hook up the harddrive to your TV??
Hello Duffer! DId I read correct, you have a Mac?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:31 am
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by yellowdog
Hello Duffer! DId I read correct, you have a Mac?
Yes in addition to the PC which is used only for downloading.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:37 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

A Better alternative to using a proxy sever would be to use a VPN no loss of bandwidth and you should have no issues connecting to to you local services for Email etc. I use Strong VPN you get a choice of American or UK based IP address Alteratively this is a free one HOTSPOT SHIELD but i think you get only an american based IP address.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by duffer
Yes in addition to the PC which is used only for downloading.
Nice one. I'm graphic/web designer so I use Mac's in my work.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:10 am
The Original Red Head!

You can now get a gadget from Apple called Apple TV which allows you to play your i-tunes downloads through your TV. It was about £99 last time I looked. All the shows can be downloaded onto i-pods and you can back them up to disk but only to be played on the computer you download them on. But with this Apple TV you can definitely watch through your TV set. More channels are signing up for i-tunes every week - I have the i-touch and it is great for travelling with as the screen is big enough for watching on a journey. The tv shows are very memory hungry though, something with 23 episodes takes up about 11Gb on a PC, but very little on an i-pod, so it might be the same on a Mac.

Later this year i-tunes UK store is going to have movie rentals available. Having said that if your Italian is good you can already do this through Mediaworld here in Italy.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

You can now get a gadget from Apple called Apple TV which allows you to play your i-tunes downloads through your TV. It was about £99 last time I looked. All the shows can be downloaded onto i-pods and you can back them up to disk but only to be played on the computer you download them on. But with this Apple TV you can definitely watch through your TV set. More channels are signing up for i-tunes every week - I have the i-touch and it is great for travelling with as the screen is big enough for watching on a journey. The tv shows are very memory hungry though, something with 23 episodes takes up about 11Gb on a PC, but very little on an i-pod, so it might be the same on a Mac.

Later this year i-tunes UK store is going to have movie rentals available. Having said that if your Italian is good you can already do this through Mediaworld here in Italy.
Yes I think the Apple TV 2 is a great product. I might get it for home when I see how the rental thing pans out. I don't want to rent films and watch them in italian so they need to add some audio preference. I don't think shows from the uk will be available to anyone watching from italy even if they have a uk itunes account. But i could be wrong.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:27 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yellowdog
Yes I think the Apple TV 2 is a great product. I might get it for home when I see how the rental thing pans out. I don't want to rent films and watch them in italian so they need to add some audio preference. I don't think shows from the uk will be available to anyone watching from italy even if they have a uk itunes account. But i could be wrong.
If you have a UK account then you can watch them.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
If you have a UK account then you can watch them.
An iTunes uk account. Thats great. If for some mad reason I ever lose my satellite I have another option.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.