Reload this Page >

Commute between Milan and Bergamo

Commute between Milan and Bergamo

Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:10 am
Just Joined

Duffaigh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Commute between Milan and Bergamo

Hi all,
I'll be moving to Milan this August and looking forward to the move, however I will be working in Bergamo. I've researched the commute along with a few forums, and found mixed reviews, anybody have any opinions on the commute, as I do have an option to live in Bergamo but would prefer to live with my partner in Milan. Thanks for any thoughts
Old Apr 21st 2017, 7:30 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commute between Milan and Bergamo

Originally Posted by Duffaigh
Hi all,
I'll be moving to Milan this August and looking forward to the move, however I will be working in Bergamo. I've researched the commute along with a few forums, and found mixed reviews, anybody have any opinions on the commute, as I do have an option to live in Bergamo but would prefer to live with my partner in Milan. Thanks for any thoughts
By car? Very busy part of the motorway. Never been on the train (except for the airport), but commuter trains are notoriously crowded and I doubt that Milan - Bergamo is any different.

I don't live in Milan, but hopefully someone who does will chip in.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

I've no direct experience but I've heard a lot of negative comments, both carwise and trainwise. However, the main flows are Bergamo-Milan in the morning and Milan-Bergamo in the evening. You'll be going the opposite way, so things should be easier.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

The tollbar at Milano Nord is a notorious pinch-point - whereas most motorway tolls are applied on the entry/exit slip roads, occasionally there is a tollbar across the whole motorway and everyone has to slow down and virtually stop and there are often queues.

Personally, I would have thought the train would be fine and if you can afford to commute on a Freccia "express" service, you can reserve a seat as well. If you're on the regionale it could be crowded but as Jonwel explains above you'll largely be going against the flow.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

arjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant future

Love conquers all! Live with your partner and worry about the journey later
Old Apr 27th 2017, 7:30 am
Just Joined

monzagirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Duffaigh, The million dollar question is what part of Milan you would be commuting from, North Milan its not a big deal. My husband did it for a few years and as the majority of people are going To Milan, you could be going against the majority of traffic. Having said that if its southern Milan thats a different scenario.!