Reload this Page >

Moving to Italy soon.

Moving to Italy soon.

Old Nov 1st 2013, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Diane Boast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Italy soon.

Hello everyone,
We are hoping to join you in Italy very soon from England. Extremely excited, although we realise we have much to do before we arrive. We are buying a house in Italy and wonder whether if it is better to cash exchange rate here in the UK or Italy ?????
Old Nov 1st 2013, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

mikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Italy soon.

Originally Posted by Diane Boast
Hello everyone,
We are hoping to join you in Italy very soon from England. Extremely excited, although we realise we have much to do before we arrive. We are buying a house in Italy and wonder whether if it is better to cash exchange rate here in the UK or Italy ?????
hello and welcome where are you moving to? There are plenty of very well informed people on this site I am sure you will get all the answers you need on here.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

As prepared as one thinks they are, You never are !!!! Don't want to start packing up my home goodies until we have signed the sale completion papers.Hopefully in the next 5 weeks, then life begins,
My Fiancee and Myself hope to start a Bed and Breakfast, Quite a venture and lots to consider. Leaving behind family will be the hardest part as we are all so close and so far I am putting a brave face on it. And of course hoping our venture works is scary but as they say ' Nothing Ventured' !!!!
Old Nov 1st 2013, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

As prepared as one thinks they are, You never are !!!! Don't want to start packing up my home goodies until we have signed the sale completion papers.Hopefully in the next 5 weeks, then life begins,
My Fiancee and Myself hope to start a Bed and Breakfast, Quite a venture and lots to consider. Leaving behind family will be the hardest part as we are all so close and so far I am putting a brave face on it. And of course hoping our venture works is scary but as they say ' Nothing Ventured' !!!!
where abouts are you thinking of opening a bed and breakfast wew have hand one in abruzzo for 9 years ,its a learning curve we had bed and breakfast and a self catering cottage in England before we came here 4 stars with English countre cottages , having stayed in a few self catering places or b& b as they are refered to here some of them would not rate one dim star in England .
We have now gone with the flow and provide a self catering apartment as the Italians like to cook there own meals and doo there own thing if you need any advise based on our experiances let me know
Old Nov 1st 2013, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much, I know we will be needing lots of information re. B&B as its a new adventure for us. I believe self catering is another way to go, and that's something to consider. If all else fails on both or either account, at least we will have my interior design, bridal wear and soft furnishings to fall back on, hopefully.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Hi Linseed,
Hope to be moving to Sicily, I am hoping to bring my pets, one cat one dog. The dog is not too much of a problem, however i am wondering about my cat, What do i need to bring a cat over to Italy, bearing in mind we will be driving through France etc. Is this going to be more of a problem than we imagine ? Please can you help.

Many Thanks

Diane
Old Nov 4th 2013, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Linseed,
Hope to be moving to Sicily, I am hoping to bring my pets, one cat one dog. The dog is not too much of a problem, however i am wondering about my cat, What do i need to bring a cat over to Italy, bearing in mind we will be driving through France etc. Is this going to be more of a problem than we imagine ? Please can you help.

Many Thanks

Diane
We brought a cat and two dogs over 7 years ago. Pet Passports are easier to get these days, as the rabies vaccination procedure is much simpler than it was then. You shouldn't have a problem. We used the tunnel, and the animals just stayed in the vehicle with us. I think on the ferries they have to be left in the vehicles while you have to leave the vehicle.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Ah ! Thank you so much for that information, Really useful, Must sort the passports as soon as. You have been in Italy for 7 years, My fiancee is Italian and i am English, so the language won't be a massive problem. I hope!!!. How do you find the Italian lifestyle? We know we are going to have lots and lots of work to do to set up our business. We thought of asking English builders to come over to help us with any refurbishing on property rather than asking local Italians who may charge lots of money. Have you or your friends had any experience with this??

Thank you

Diane
Old Nov 4th 2013, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Pipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond repute

We are buying a house in Italy and wonder whether if it is better to cash exchange rate here in the UK or Italy ?????
Sorry I've only just seen your post. Presumably all of your money is in the UK at the moment then? If so, for a large amount of money, if it were me, I'd use an FCA authorised currency broker. You can either 'lock in' the currency exchange rate/amount before hand for a guaranteed sum so no nasty surprises or if you are clued up on the financial markets (or just jammy) you can take a punt closer to the time.

I'm just guessing here but I would think (if I haven't misunderstood your question) exchanging thousands of sterling in Italy for euros with tight money laundering regulations would be a logistical nightmare with no to very little benefit but I'm more than happy to be enlightened on that one by anyone if I'm wrong.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 12:15 am
Just Joined

Hi Pip,

Thank you for getting back to us.

What a very interesting answer. Never thought of that.!!! Can do without complications. We will bare that in mind and maybe convert and set sterling just before we go as I have found a contact here in the last day or so.

There is so much to think about. Also, bit of a morbid subject, however does anyone know of a good solicitor as We will have to write a will when we get to Italy, however I would prefer an English speaking solicitor, As we are moving to Sicily, that area would be most useful.

Thank you.

Diane
Old Nov 5th 2013, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice

Where in Sicily? I am in the provincial of Messina.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pip,

Thank you for getting back to us.

What a very interesting answer. Never thought of that.!!! Can do without complications. We will bare that in mind and maybe convert and set sterling just before we go as I have found a contact here in the last day or so.

There is so much to think about. Also, bit of a morbid subject, however does anyone know of a good solicitor as We will have to write a will when we get to Italy, however I would prefer an English speaking solicitor, As we are moving to Sicily, that area would be most useful.

Thank you.

Diane
Diane, we were talking about wills some time ago on this forum and came to a conclusion that it is better and cheaper to make a will in the UK and then do a holographic will here which basically is a handwritten document in Italian stating that you wish your assets to be divided as per your UK drawn will. The holographic will will be kept with a notary here.
Modicasa knows better, I hope I understood this well as I need to do the same on our next UK trip.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Piquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone. Following on from Diane's post, we are hoping to complete on an apartment near Lake Maggiore pretty soon. We will be splitting our time between UK and Italy (I am retired, so not seeking work)

Think we are okay on all the legal stuff for the purchase, but wondered if you had any top tips, things you wished you'd known, or things you are glad you knew in connection with what you need to do or avoid once you move in? Many thanks.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piquet
Hello everyone. Following on from Diane's post, we are hoping to complete on an apartment near Lake Maggiore pretty soon. We will be splitting our time between UK and Italy (I am retired, so not seeking work)

Think we are okay on all the legal stuff for the purchase, but wondered if you had any top tips, things you wished you'd known, or things you are glad you knew in connection with what you need to do or avoid once you move in? Many thanks.
there is not enough paper or ink to transfer what to avoid or what to do in advance us who have learnt the hard way . can only say take your time try and find a true friend who speaks Italian do your best to fit in and keep smiling
Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Piquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linseed oil
there is not enough paper or ink to transfer what to avoid or what to do in advance us who have learnt the hard way . can only say take your time try and find a true friend who speaks Italian do your best to fit in and keep smiling
Not sure whether to be reassured or run away! But thanks for the reply. Maybe you can answer this one question (which slightly undermines my previous confidence)?

It's been recommended that we appoint our own legal adviser for the purchase of an apartment by Lake Maggiore. Have been in contact with a couple of them, one says €200 per hour, the other is offering a flat rate of 1% with a minimum of €2,000.

Any suggestions/experiences to pass on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.