Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Any Brits Living In Abruzzo

Any Brits Living In Abruzzo

Old Jul 24th 2009, 9:33 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Brits Living In Abruzzo

Brilliant.
Glad you came back to let us know how you got on.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 9:14 am
Just Joined

acp010701 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sheilamarsco
hi there just joined today and thought i'd say hello. am a retired woman living alone in italy and loving it!! have been here for two years and have finally got part of the farmhouse i bought renovated. i live near bisenti in the north part of abruzzo beautiful scenery just like the isle of skye where i lived before moving here. hope to hear from new friends and give any advice i can about the trials and tribulations of living in la bella italia.
Hi again Sheila! Have been reading on another thread about the Bisenti incinerator, since you live near there have you heard anything about this? apparently there is another planned at Faieto. thanks a lot! Anna
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

sheilamarsco is on a distinguished road

hi there no i haven't heard anymore about it although there was quite an uproar when they had a community meeting about it so hopefully it won't happen. we do have a great big new roundabout in the centre of bisenti which is causing total confusion with the locals!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Maur-Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Folks, I signed an online petition against this incinerator weeks ago. There is obviously a campaign going on. Can't remember the link but it should be able to be googled.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 5:21 am
Just Joined

jeffcoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, We have been here in beautiful Abruzzo for 5 months now, we really love the area, near Castiglione MR near a little hamlet of S Giorgio. We have wonderful views of the mountains which inspire us every day. We are having some problems with a local builder with silly money quotes so everything has come to a stop, whch is really frustrating. We know it is partly our fault as we are struggling with Italian. Would really appriciate any advice and like to make some more contacts near by. many Thanks Suzy and Jeff
Old Jan 9th 2010, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffcoy
Hi, We have been here in beautiful Abruzzo for 5 months now, we really love the area, near Castiglione MR near a little hamlet of S Giorgio. We have wonderful views of the mountains which inspire us every day. We are having some problems with a local builder with silly money quotes so everything has come to a stop, whch is really frustrating. We know it is partly our fault as we are struggling with Italian. Would really appriciate any advice and like to make some more contacts near by. many Thanks Suzy and Jeff
Hi Jeffcoy, Welcome to the forum. I am in the process of buying a small flat in Abruzzo. Because I bought it through Tricali's Sustainable Tourism I have not needed to deal with any builders etc as they do that for you. However, I have been over a couple of times to sign documents etc. I have had lots of help from this forum and have met up with a couple of people who kindly took the time out. So being on the forum is very positive.
I am sure that you will get plenty of advice re your predicament. Some people have found the local Commune/Mayor very helpful in their localities. You will need to heed those more experienced so that you all come out of this with La Bella Figura.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

asik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really nice

Originally Posted by jeffcoy
We are having some problems with a local builder with silly money quotes so everything has come to a stop, whch is really frustrating. We know it is partly our fault as we are struggling with Italian. Would really appriciate any advice and like to make some more contacts near by. many Thanks Suzy and Jeff
Hi Suzy and Jeff, I am in a similar situation. After changing two builders and spending too much I put my renovation on hold. I did find a good builder at the end but by then I had gone well over my budget. I found him through an acquaintance I made in the village but the builder is not local, he is from a nearby village. I went to a few bars and spoke to barmen there asking if they new any good builders in the area. Got a few contacts out of it.

My Italian is not that great but now it is very construction orientated! I spent hours learning the jargon.

Now I decided to let the Italian builder to do all the big jobs and for tiling, fireplace, painting etc. bring a builder from Latvia. It might not be exactly what I intended to do (helping local businesses and other naive stuff!) but that way I'll get the house finally done and won't be ripped off by some rogue local builders any more.

I am sure my Latvian builder would be delighted to get more work, PM me if you are interested.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

jeffcoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Any Brits Living In Abruzzo

Thanks so much, all/any help very much appreciated.
We are able to do things like tiling / painting / but we need help to build a wood frame extension and garage. Plans all passed by commune.
Thanks Jeff and Suzy
Old Jun 29th 2010, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

juna71 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just finished our renovation project in Lanciano area and well happy with our geometra. We have had a dozen quotes on our house from about 4 geometras and some English builders over 3 years, but he was the only one we are comfortable with!
If someone needs info on Italian geometra + good builder who can
- speak English
- provide top quality work
- keep their client updated (weekly photo reports, immediate email responses, skype communication)
- does not try to rip you off - his quote was about 1/2 price compared to others!
- communicates with the commune and arrange for all connections /utilities
- only 25% deposit for his work and builders work
- will finish work on time
- will go over expected to satisfy the client (he ordered some beds, washing machines etc for us so we were able to stop in our house)
Then pm me for his email address. The only problem with him is that he would only do works within 30 mile radius from Lanciano and he is busy with my friends house at the moment of writing, but he can get in touch and quote or do smallish jobs any time. In fact, we liked our co-operation so much that we are thinking of building a new house with him in a future!
Old Jul 7th 2010, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

darwin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Juna,
i would be most grateful of your guys contact details.
we have two opinions so far and they are opposite.

best wishes
Old Jul 10th 2010, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

juna71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Looks like I can not send pm's now, please email on SNIP

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Jul 10th 2010 at 5:05 pm. Reason: removed personal email address
Old Jul 10th 2010, 5:06 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Juna,

I've removed your personal email address. You never know which spammers might be lurking forums and even though this one is protected some of them still manage in sneaky ways to get through.

Make just one more post and then you send and receive as many PMs as you like.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Lorna. I thought that the forum had disappeared as have not seen any messages for a while.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 5:19 pm

You're welcome.

Have you set up your account so that you get an email notification each time somebody posts on a thread that you are also posting on?
Old Jul 10th 2010, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I have but have not seen anything in ages and thought that the forum had moved. Just noticed it was in Expats in Italy forum the other day, so back on track.

ta

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.