Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Old Oct 1st 2007, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

tigerlilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

We had our skills app returned with a refund cheque our agent is a MIA member and is keeping hold of the cheque he said that cashing it could be deemed as acceptance of the returned application, he has told us to to be patient so I assume they are trying to get any returned applications through on the legality of changing the rules after the application was received. Can't stand the waiting tho, good luck to everyone let hope they get us through!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Kathryn44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Originally Posted by Chippie Minton
Referring back to posts re. using an agent...
We have an agent based in Perth who was on recommendation, unfortunately he is not very pro-active and basically told us, when he heard this news, that we probably wouldn't get in. Gutted?? You bet.
So I pm'd one of the people on here, outlining our situation and asked if he could advise us, for payment! Or recommend an agent suited to us, I am a carpenter with no 'on-paper' qualifications. Heard nothing back.
My partner and I are British but living in The Netherlands so we cannot use VETTASSES route.
Not being one to give up, believing that Oz really do want decent skilled people, I have investigated getting an 'on-paper' qualification in the UK so I can try pathway E.
So, my question to you all please is does anyone know if an NVQ 2 in carpentry is acceptable down pathway E and does it matter if you only just got it, even though I have 15 yrs experience.
I am also making other lines of enquiry but would appreciate an answer if someone knows this.
Good luck everyone and keep believing in your dreams, this site helps us enormously with talking to people in exactly the same boat as us, friends and family just aren't the same, and don't stop enjoying today whilst constantly waiting for tomorrow
Cheers
Dear Chippie,
Pathway E is only viable if you are recognized by the AQF (Australian Qualification Framework). There is some talk of sending assessors from Australia to the UK, to assess people based on this framework so that they could have route E as an option, but your UK qualification alone with not qualify you for this route.

Regards,
Old Oct 4th 2007, 1:07 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Do not shoot the messenger please. Copied from an agents website, authenticity not verified.

At a Migration Institute of Australia seminar on 28 September 2007 a speaker from Trades Recognition Australia provided fascinating statistics to explain why TRA abolished Pathway D (skills assessment in a trade based on 6 or 7 years work experience rather than formal training or qualifications).
The figures included the following

Occupation Applications received in the year ended 30 June 2006
Applications received in the year ended 30 June 2007
Hairdresser 2736 6285
Cook 2463 6541

Figures for source countries of applicants for trade’s skills assessments were also supplied with India having had an enormous increase in applicants from 6926 applicants during the year ended 30 June 2006 increasing to 14614 applicants during the year ended 30 June 2007.

It is understood that DIAC is concerned at the number of applications that included work references that could not be verified and that many applicants are currently being investigated because of this issue.

In this regard it is important to note that as a “time of decision” requirement DIAC can refuse a General Skilled Migration application if information supplied in respect of a skills assessment was false or misleading in a material particular.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 3:15 pm
wee irish girl

gabb9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by newjersey
Do not shoot the messenger please. Copied from an agents website, authenticity not verified.

At a Migration Institute of Australia seminar on 28 September 2007 a speaker from Trades Recognition Australia provided fascinating statistics to explain why TRA abolished Pathway D (skills assessment in a trade based on 6 or 7 years work experience rather than formal training or qualifications).
The figures included the following

Occupation Applications received in the year ended 30 June 2006
Applications received in the year ended 30 June 2007
Hairdresser 2736 6285
Cook 2463 6541

Figures for source countries of applicants for trade’s skills assessments were also supplied with India having had an enormous increase in applicants from 6926 applicants during the year ended 30 June 2006 increasing to 14614 applicants during the year ended 30 June 2007.

It is understood that DIAC is concerned at the number of applications that included work references that could not be verified and that many applicants are currently being investigated because of this issue.

In this regard it is important to note that as a “time of decision” requirement DIAC can refuse a General Skilled Migration application if information supplied in respect of a skills assessment was false or misleading in a material particular.
Hi There,
My husband is applying as a cook and we were hoping to use pathway D and are now looking at other options. What exactly did TRA say about Cook applications?
Any info would be helpful
Thanks
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:04 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gabb9
Hi There,
My husband is applying as a cook and we were hoping to use pathway D and are now looking at other options. What exactly did TRA say about Cook applications?
Any info would be helpful
Thanks
Hi Gabb,

I was at the seminar - the summary is more or less correct.

TRA identified an enormous increase in "cook" applications from people from India using pathway D. They used this to justify what they've done, but I don't think they were asleep at the wheel when the numbers were increasing during the previous 12-24 months and clearly fraud was seen as a primary problem.

I would think that employer nomination is the best alternative for Pathway D tradesmen now, particularly for tradesmen in MODL occupations. TRA did say that they were looking at their options and that it might come back in another form, however there doesn't seem to be any timetable for that, and if you can get an employer nomination then the onshore trade test alternative to TRA is a much better option.

cheers,

George Lombard
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

toni and andy is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all could how do you get a sponsed employe an web sits to look at? thanks all
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

HI ALL JUST WONDERIN HOW TO GET A SPONSED EMPLOYE AM A ELERICAL ENGENIRE FOR 6 YEAR BUT NO QULIFCATION? IS THERE ANY WEB SIGHT TO GO ON TO LOOK AT THANK FOR ALL REPLIES
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

lee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nice

Was there any indication on those that were in mid-processing will get another chance?

Thanks, Lee.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:18 am
Just Joined

eberjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by toni and andy
HI ALL JUST WONDERIN HOW TO GET A SPONSED EMPLOYE AM A ELERICAL ENGENIRE FOR 6 YEAR BUT NO QULIFCATION? IS THERE ANY WEB SIGHT TO GO ON TO LOOK AT THANK FOR ALL REPLIES
HUH?
I'm wondering how you've got a degree without qualification..
Old Oct 5th 2007, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by eberjoe
HUH?
I'm wondering how you've got a degree without qualification..
no i have been doing the job since school which is 6 years now. so i have only got on the jobs experience
Old Oct 9th 2007, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

sampson will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone, been lurking on this site for a while now so thought it about time to register I had my TRA application sent off towards the end of september and am now like many others awaiting the results I compiled my TRA application during August and was going to use pathway D but then as you all know that went out the window so I re did it under pathways B + C .I'm a Printer working for the Daily telegraph, I've worked for them since I was 21 (now 33) I did a 7 year informal apprenticeship which included a 3 year city and Guilds NVQ course which covered about 1500 hours of vocational training. I have sent off my Certificates and letters from my employers confirming the training I did and now quietly sitting here bricking it Will let you all know the outcome
Old Oct 9th 2007, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Nick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - I put this in it's own thread but will also paste here to make sure that everyone sees it - sorry for the double post!

I did have a look to see if this is somewhere else in the forum but could not see anything - sorry if I am duplicating info elsewhere.

Also - sorry for not posting in the TRA pathway D thread specific above, but I wanted to make sure that this was seen / noticed.

Communication released this morning from the MIA, and a chat I had with a "contact" (I worked for the gov previously) looks good for the future of a "new" Pathway D.

The most important paragraph, I think, is this:

"* TRA hopes to reopen Pathway D "shortly" if it is viable to do so and is prepared to consult closely with the MIA about this once they have thought through most of the issues. They are likely to also consult with DIAC, the Department of Education Science and Training and other key stakeholders. I expect that we might be able to have discussions on this towards the end of November. We should therefore not expect Pathway D to be reopened before December. Any reopening will be dependent upon problems being overcome."

The chat I had with someone in the know this morning re-assured me - he seemed completely confident that Pathway D will return in all it's glory once they have tightened up a few measures - e.g. they may possibly now phone all Pathway D applicants - or something like that to ensure more checks and veracity of claims.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 8:02 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nick-ASA
Hi - I put this in it's own thread but will also paste here to make sure that everyone sees it - sorry for the double post!

I did have a look to see if this is somewhere else in the forum but could not see anything - sorry if I am duplicating info elsewhere.

Also - sorry for not posting in the TRA pathway D thread specific above, but I wanted to make sure that this was seen / noticed.

Communication released this morning from the MIA, and a chat I had with a "contact" (I worked for the gov previously) looks good for the future of a "new" Pathway D.

The most important paragraph, I think, is this:

"* TRA hopes to reopen Pathway D "shortly" if it is viable to do so and is prepared to consult closely with the MIA about this once they have thought through most of the issues. They are likely to also consult with DIAC, the Department of Education Science and Training and other key stakeholders. I expect that we might be able to have discussions on this towards the end of November. We should therefore not expect Pathway D to be reopened before December. Any reopening will be dependent upon problems being overcome."

The chat I had with someone in the know this morning re-assured me - he seemed completely confident that Pathway D will return in all it's glory once they have tightened up a few measures - e.g. they may possibly now phone all Pathway D applicants - or something like that to ensure more checks and veracity of claims.
Hi Nick,

Given that there's an election in the offing I don't know if it's fair to people to hold out the hope of a returned Pathway D until that happens and the new government has made some policy decisions about the issue - December sounds wildly optimistic given the oversupply of applicants that TRA is dealing with.

However I doubt very much that Pathway D will be returned in its previous format. More likely they'd go over to some sort of Vetassess model involving trade testing or trade interviewing as they're now doing for onshore students, but sadly I don't think applicants can bank on that - employer nomination is still the most reliable route for people who fall outside the TRA pathways.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Oct 11th 2007, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toni and andy
no i have been doing the job since school which is 6 years now. so i have only got on the jobs experience
I know I'll get flamed for this one but sorry mate to be blunt, but you're NOT an Electrical Engineer without a primary qualification i.e. a relevant degree and/or professional body membership. I spent 5 years studying engineering at Uni for mine and I still don't call myself one as I my career went away from 'pure' engineering after graduation.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Nick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Nick,

Given that there's an election in the offing I don't know if it's fair to people to hold out the hope of a returned Pathway D until that happens and the new government has made some policy decisions about the issue - December sounds wildly optimistic given the oversupply of applicants that TRA is dealing with.

However I doubt very much that Pathway D will be returned in its previous format. More likely they'd go over to some sort of Vetassess model involving trade testing or trade interviewing as they're now doing for onshore students, but sadly I don't think applicants can bank on that - employer nomination is still the most reliable route for people who fall outside the TRA pathways.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi George

I do agree with you that is best not to get people's hopes up - but the MIA are confident about this and logic (not that is the biggest deciding factor in government decisions) should mean that after they sort themselves out, there will be a new, 'anti-fraud' type assessments so that (for example) Brits with proper and real qualifications (e.g. C&G) and on-the-job training that can be evidenced can 'get in'.

I know I am preaching to the converted here anyway

The government itself can't be too pleased - e.g. putting some trades in demand, like painter and decorator, only to be told that they won't get any in for god knows how long as 90% p&ds dont have traineeships ....

Fingers crossed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.