Gaining work in railway industry aus

Old Feb 16th 2017, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Jim Ray is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gaining work in railway industry aus

As a technician working on rolling stock in UK, could anyone help with information on gaining work in the australian railway industry; ease of accessibility as a foreigner, possibilty of needing to upskill or any geographic info with regards to the industry?
Does anyone work within engineering on the aus railway?
Any help appreciated!!
Thanks.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 7:48 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gaining work in railway industry aus

Originally Posted by Jim Ray
As a technician working on rolling stock in UK, could anyone help with information on gaining work in the australian railway industry; ease of accessibility as a foreigner, possibilty of needing to upskill or any geographic info with regards to the industry?
Does anyone work within engineering on the aus railway?
Any help appreciated!!
Thanks.
Do you have a visa to live and work in Australia?
Old Feb 16th 2017, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

No, not currently. Although, would look further into gaining one once i know more about the railway industry in australia.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 8:11 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

No, not currently. Although, would look further into gaining one once i know more about the railway industry in australia.
If you don't qualify for a visa then the job is moot. My partner works maintaining rolling stock, and I'm sure he would be able to give you some pointers. However, like I said, if you don't qualify to immigrate then there's no point in looking at jobs.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

I would appreciate any info your husband may have, thank you! However, as the skilled independent visas are very expensive i will do my research on the aus railway industry before attempting to apply for a visa. What i do know is that my skill is in demand according to the official gov website
Old Feb 16th 2017, 8:53 pm
Still alive

I would appreciate any info your husband may have, thank you! However, as the skilled independent visas are very expensive i will do my research on the aus railway industry before attempting to apply for a visa. What i do know is that my skill is in demand according to the official gov website
So what is your job title and is it on the SOL or CSOL?

What specifically do you want to know?
Old Feb 16th 2017, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

My job title is a Fitter, which is on both SOL and CSOL. but i also have quals and exp as electrical and mechanical technician on rolling stock; which are also on both lists.

I would appreciate any info on the railway in general. I work on diesel units and also electric, are both also popular in aus? Would your husband recommend a certain part of aus purely based on employment opportunities or a certain company? Does he know of english quals are recognised on aus railway? Thanks for any help!
Old Feb 16th 2017, 9:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My job title is a Fitter, which is on both SOL and CSOL. but i also have quals and exp as electrical and mechanical technician on rolling stock; which are also on both lists.

I would appreciate any info on the railway in general. I work on diesel units and also electric, are both also popular in aus? Would your husband recommend a certain part of aus purely based on employment opportunities or a certain company? Does he know of english quals are recognised on aus railway? Thanks for any help!
Years ago we had quite a few rail workers moving over but the mining downturn seems to have caused that to die off, so not many recent threads on it. Might be a bit of info here to give you a start though.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 9:23 pm
Still alive

Yes your English fitter qusls will be recognised. You'll have to do a skills assessment in order to apply for the visa but once you have the visa you can apply for jobs.

We're in WA and I'm not sure of the job situation. He's working today but I will ask when he gets home
Old Feb 17th 2017, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for both your help!

And yes i would appreciate any help he can give with regards to what stock he works with and how he might recommend making the leap....gaining visa and then packing up, or finding employment before making the move.