Citizenship

Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Citizenship

Hello again,

Long time since I've been on, will have been in Oz for 2 years straight in April.

My question : I assume that, since we got our PR visas in Jan 2004 that we only have to do 2 years straight here to qualify for citizenship. Is this correct ? (I believe it has now changed to 3 years before you can apply ?)

Can we apply before the 2 years is actually up or do we have to wait until April before applying ?

Thanks in advance,

Andy
Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:22 am
KLF
What Time is Love

KLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Citizenship

Originally Posted by cadman
Hello again,

Long time since I've been on, will have been in Oz for 2 years straight in April.

My question : I assume that, since we got our PR visas in Jan 2004 that we only have to do 2 years straight here to qualify for citizenship. Is this correct ? (I believe it has now changed to 3 years before you can apply ?)

Can we apply before the 2 years is actually up or do we have to wait until April before applying ?

Thanks in advance,

Andy
2 years for you.

I would look at booking your test now though, if of course you want to do it as soon as possible. So test first, if you pass you can apply for citizenship on the same day (if you have all the paperwork ready).
Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:25 am
KLF
What Time is Love

KLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to behold

Here you go.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-an...irementsQA.htm

Rich
Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cadman
Hello again,

Thanks in advance,

Andy
Like KLF says, book in to do your test now and once you have reached the 2 year mark you can apply.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

Aldebaran has a spectacular aura aboutAldebaran has a spectacular aura aboutAldebaran has a spectacular aura about

Can you sit the test as far in advance as you want from the date when you meet citizenship requirements? I've still got about 14 months to go but wondered if it was worthwhile doing the test sooner rather than later just to get it out of the way.

AL
Old Feb 9th 2009, 12:45 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aldebaran
Can you sit the test as far in advance as you want from the date when you meet citizenship requirements? I've still got about 14 months to go but wondered if it was worthwhile doing the test sooner rather than later just to get it out of the way.

AL
I believe you can sit the test in advance, but why bother that far in advance? The rules may change again in that time making your test invalid or un-necessary.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 12:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I believe you can sit the test in advance, but why bother that far in advance? The rules may change again in that time making your test invalid or un-necessary.
I'd suggest looking to do the test at least 6 months in advance, however.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 1:22 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by JAJ
I'd suggest looking to do the test at least 6 months in advance, however.
Why? From what I understand you can't apply until you've racked up enough time, so what's the use in sitting the test 6 months before you need to?
Old Feb 10th 2009, 1:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Why? From what I understand you can't apply until you've racked up enough time, so what's the use in sitting the test 6 months before you need to?
Because there is often a long queue of people to sit the test and it may take months to get an appointment!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 1:40 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by JAJ
Because there is often a long queue of people to sit the test and it may take months to get an appointment!
Oh. We found here in Perth the wait is about 6 weeks. Guess we got lucky.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a three month wait for a test appointment, so if you want to get the application in as soon as you've done the two years, yes I'd book it some months in advance. I honestly don't think they are likely to change the application process again so soon after the test coming in.