British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Citizenship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/citizenship-590204/)

cadman Feb 9th 2009 4:14 am

Citizenship

Hello again,

Long time since I've been on, will have been in Oz for 2 years straight in April.

My question : I assume that, since we got our PR visas in Jan 2004 that we only have to do 2 years straight here to qualify for citizenship. Is this correct ? (I believe it has now changed to 3 years before you can apply ?)

Can we apply before the 2 years is actually up or do we have to wait until April before applying ?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

KLF Feb 9th 2009 4:22 am

Re: Citizenship

Originally Posted by cadman (Post 7265192)
Hello again,

Long time since I've been on, will have been in Oz for 2 years straight in April.

My question : I assume that, since we got our PR visas in Jan 2004 that we only have to do 2 years straight here to qualify for citizenship. Is this correct ? (I believe it has now changed to 3 years before you can apply ?)

Can we apply before the 2 years is actually up or do we have to wait until April before applying ?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

2 years for you.

I would look at booking your test now though, if of course you want to do it as soon as possible. So test first, if you pass you can apply for citizenship on the same day (if you have all the paperwork ready).

KLF Feb 9th 2009 4:25 am

Here you go.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-an...irementsQA.htm

Rich

Dorothy Feb 9th 2009 4:26 am

Originally Posted by cadman (Post 7265192)
Hello again,

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Like KLF says, book in to do your test now and once you have reached the 2 year mark you can apply.

Aldebaran Feb 9th 2009 6:34 am

Can you sit the test as far in advance as you want from the date when you meet citizenship requirements? I've still got about 14 months to go but wondered if it was worthwhile doing the test sooner rather than later just to get it out of the way.

AL

Dorothy Feb 9th 2009 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Aldebaran (Post 7265410)
Can you sit the test as far in advance as you want from the date when you meet citizenship requirements? I've still got about 14 months to go but wondered if it was worthwhile doing the test sooner rather than later just to get it out of the way.

AL

I believe you can sit the test in advance, but why bother that far in advance? The rules may change again in that time making your test invalid or un-necessary.

JAJ Feb 10th 2009 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 7266466)
I believe you can sit the test in advance, but why bother that far in advance? The rules may change again in that time making your test invalid or un-necessary.

I'd suggest looking to do the test at least 6 months in advance, however.

Dorothy Feb 10th 2009 1:22 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 7268966)
I'd suggest looking to do the test at least 6 months in advance, however.

Why? From what I understand you can't apply until you've racked up enough time, so what's the use in sitting the test 6 months before you need to?

JAJ Feb 10th 2009 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 7269131)
Why? From what I understand you can't apply until you've racked up enough time, so what's the use in sitting the test 6 months before you need to?

Because there is often a long queue of people to sit the test and it may take months to get an appointment!

Dorothy Feb 10th 2009 1:40 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 7269166)
Because there is often a long queue of people to sit the test and it may take months to get an appointment!

Oh. We found here in Perth the wait is about 6 weeks. Guess we got lucky.

moneypenny20 Feb 10th 2009 6:06 am

I had a three month wait for a test appointment, so if you want to get the application in as soon as you've done the two years, yes I'd book it some months in advance. I honestly don't think they are likely to change the application process again so soon after the test coming in.