Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Changes to duration of Tourist Visas for parents of perm residents and citizens

Changes to duration of Tourist Visas for parents of perm residents and citizens

Old Sep 12th 2012, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

scrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nice
Default Changes to duration of Tourist Visas for parents of perm residents and citizens

Up to 5 year tourist visas to be granted to parents of Australian perm residents and citizens!! This is great news for parents who don't want to pay the $90,000 required for the contributory visa and who wish to have a try for the non-contributory route.

I'm wondering how the health insurance part works - I presume you have to get Australian health insurance then, as I don't see a foreign provider giving health insurance for over 60's for more a year abroad.

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2012-...-and-residents
http://www.nationalvisas.com.au/blog...o-be-extended/
http://articles.economictimes.indiat...chris-bowen-mp
http://www.gettingdownunder.com/five...ian-residents/

Found some official articles:
http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/whats-new.htm
http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/medi...2/cb189679.htm

Last edited by scrudu; Sep 12th 2012 at 2:14 am. Reason: found official news articles
Old Sep 12th 2012, 2:19 am
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Changes to duration of Tourist Visas for parents of perm residents and citizens

Under these more flexible arrangements, in addition to meeting all other Tourist visa requirements, parents will be expected to hold health insurance to cover any healthcare costs during their stay and will have a visa condition limiting applications for further visas while they are in Australia.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 5:32 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changes to duration of Tourist Visas for parents of perm residents and citizens

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz
Under these more flexible arrangements, in addition to meeting all other Tourist visa requirements, parents will be expected to hold health insurance to cover any healthcare costs during their stay and will have a visa condition limiting applications for further visas while they are in Australia.
Does this apply to British citizens though - because of the reciprocal arrangement?
Old Sep 12th 2012, 5:37 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scrudu
Up to 5 year tourist visas to be granted to parents of Australian perm residents and citizens!! This is great news for parents who don't want to pay the $90,000 required for the contributory visa and who wish to have a try for the non-contributory route.

I'm wondering how the health insurance part works - I presume you have to get Australian health insurance then, as I don't see a foreign provider giving health insurance for over 60's for more a year abroad.

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2012-...-and-residents
http://www.nationalvisas.com.au/blog...o-be-extended/
http://articles.economictimes.indiat...chris-bowen-mp
http://www.gettingdownunder.com/five...ian-residents/

Found some official articles:
http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/whats-new.htm
http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/medi...2/cb189679.htm
But are these not limited to 12 month stays though, and valid for 5 years, and if so can't tourists stay up to 12 months already?
Old Sep 12th 2012, 12:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
But are these not limited to 12 month stays though, and valid for 5 years, and if so can't tourists stay up to 12 months already?
The department will consider granting on a case-by-case basis:

Tourist visas of up to five years' validity which provide a stay of up to 12 months on each entry to those parents who are outside Australia and are in the Parent (subclass 103) visa queue
Tourist visas of up to three years' validity with 12 months' stay on each entry will be considered for parents who are outside Australia and are not in the Parent visa queue.

A 676 currently allows a stay of up to 12 months, but is only valid for 12 months - these are valid for longer although the max stay each time seems to still be 12 months.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

scrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nice

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz
Yeah but I'm just wondering how feasible it is for parents to get health insurances for such extended periods. I know when my parents came to visit, their health insurance would only cover for 3 mths abroad.

Zen10: yeah they are restricted to 12 mths stay with the new rules but can come multiple times on the same visa over a 5 year period. They can get a 12 mth tourist visa currently if they wish, but would have to apply multiple times. I guess it's yet to be defined how much of that 5 years they'd have to spend at home to show they weren't "living" in Australia.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

itprofessional has a brilliant futureitprofessional has a brilliant futureitprofessional has a brilliant futureitprofessional has a brilliant futureitprofessional has a brilliant futureitprofessional has a brilliant futureitprofessional has a brilliant futureitprofessional has a brilliant future
Default Longer Tourist visas for parents of Australian citizens and permanent residents

Longer Tourist visas for parents of Australians

From 24 November 2012, parents of Australian citizens and permanent residents will be able to apply for Tourist visas to visit Australia for longer.

The department will grant on a case-by-case basis:

Tourist visas of up to five years validity which provide a stay of up to 12 months on each entry to those parents who are outside Australia and are in the Parent (subclass 103) visa queue.

Tourist visas of up to three years validity with 12 months stay on each entry will be considered for parents who are outside Australia and are not in the Parent visa queue.

These changes allow parents who meet the criteria for a Tourist visa to have regular extended visits with their family in Australia without needing to apply for a new visa on each visit.

Like all tourists, parents granted Tourist visas are expected to maintain extended periods of absence between visits to Australia.

See: About This Visa
Old Dec 11th 2012, 4:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Threads merged
Old Dec 11th 2012, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Yes
This does apply to British Citizens as well and I think taking out health cover will be a condition of getting the visa, as with the 457. We looked into this when we came over on our temporary 173 visa and found it is very expensive as a non-permanent resident.

In addition, parents will have to leave the country every 12 months anyway and as I understand it are not allowed to spend more than 12 months in Australia in any 18 month period.

I am not sure how this will actually benefit parents. And where would you live? You would have to keep on your house in the UK for example, and unless you had very accommodating children who would be willing for you to live with them for 12 months, you would have to finance accommodation in Australia as well.

I can't see the benefits of this visa, when you can already come for 12 months anyway. I suppose the only advantage is that it does away with the form filling and documentation every year which parents in some countries are required to provide. I think it is political, Julia Gillard 'finally recognising the part that parents play in supporting their children'. If she thinks that then she should increase the number of parent visas so parents don't have to wait 15 years or so or alternatively, fork out a huge amount of money. I know Australia wants young skilled workers and not oldies, but one of the main reasons that people return to the UK is that they miss their family and support network back home, especially in cases where the main breadwinner is FIFO and the othe partner is left to look after the children on their own.

Last edited by DaveandLinda; Dec 11th 2012 at 7:34 am.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

Just to confirm the above re the parent can only stay a maximum of 12 months in any 18 month period. A new condition has been created that will be added to this visa (SC676) when granted to parents for the extended period.

I think this visa will most benefit parents from countries where it is more complex to obtain longer visitor visas, rather than say UK applicants.

Last edited by TeeTMI; Dec 11th 2012 at 11:33 pm.