Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Applying for new PR while your existing PR is not expired

Applying for new PR while your existing PR is not expired

Old Jul 28th 2013, 2:09 am
Just Joined

JeronimoSAP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for new PR while your existing PR is not expired

I have unusual question. Is possible to apply for the new PR (from the scratch) while my existing PR is still valid?
The reason for this could be that I don't qualify for the 5 years RRV and new PR visa will give me chance to have another 5 years.
From other side if my new PR application will be rejected then I will move to Australia to keep existing PR visa.

Anyone faced the same dilemma?
Old Jul 28th 2013, 2:11 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for new PR while your existing PR is not expired

Well where are you at the moment?
Old Jul 28th 2013, 2:17 am
Just Joined

I am not in Australia at the moment, working in middle east.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 2:24 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JeronimoSAP
I am not in Australia at the moment, working in middle east.
When does your current visa expire? Obviously your safest bet is to make the move before then. New rules mean that you have to submit an EOI and be invited to apply for a visa, and costs have gone up if you have any dependants.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 2:33 am
Just Joined

My PR expires next year. Thanks for the advises. I am aware of the process change.

To clarify my question:
1. Is there any DIAC regulation preventing to apply to the new RP while having existing RP?
2. Does anyone has similar experience?
Old Jul 28th 2013, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply for any visa you want, nothing to stop you doing what you suggest.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

joojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to all

You could apply for any new visa ... but if you plan on living in Australia, why dont u just go there before your current PR expires?
Old Jul 28th 2013, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JeronimoSAP
The reason for this could be that I don't qualify for the 5 years RRV and new PR visa will give me chance to have another 5 years.
Then move to Australia with you current visa before it expires.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I think OP knows he can move to Australia before the current visa expires. The question is can he apply for another PR visa, presumably because moving before the current one expires is tricky for whatever reason.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

jambo72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tricky one as it gives you an extra 5 years would be interested in how that would pan out.

Also isnt it not that your PR doesn't expire just the travel period? How does that work if you want to go back on holiday would they not let you in?
Old Jul 29th 2013, 12:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jambo72
Tricky one as it gives you an extra 5 years would be interested in how that would pan out.

Also isnt it not that your PR doesn't expire just the travel period? How does that work if you want to go back on holiday would they not let you in?
The PR visa has a date on it, five years from grant date "MUST NOT ENTER AFTER...." That's the travel portion and that expires. After five years you either need to have become a citizen or to get a RRv in order to travel in and/or out of Australia.

If you are outside, and you don't meet the requirements for a RRV - for instance you have only visited once in 5 years, for a week - you cannot travel to Aus because you have no right of entry.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/

If you want to come back on holiday after the expiry date you would need to get a tourist visa of some kind
Old Jul 29th 2013, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The PR visa has a date on it, five years from grant date "MUST NOT ENTER AFTER...." That's the travel portion and that expires. After five years you either need to have become a citizen or to get a RRv in order to travel in and/or out of Australia.

If you are outside, and you don't meet the requirements for a RRV - for instance you have only visited once in 5 years, for a week - you cannot travel to Aus because you have no right of entry.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/

If you want to come back on holiday after the expiry date you would need to get a tourist visa of some kind
What if you came back on a tourist and just started again on the PR as you would still technically be resident wouldnt you?
Old Jul 29th 2013, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

What if you came back on a tourist and just started again on the PR as you would still technically be resident wouldnt you?
Hi Jambo,

if you came back on a tourist visa before the expiry of your original visa, that tourist visa would cancel your PR...maybe I didn't understand your question?

Last edited by Rhubarb65; Jul 29th 2013 at 12:44 pm. Reason: clarification
Old Jul 29th 2013, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65
Hi Jambo,

if you came back on a tourist visa before the expiry of your original visa, that tourist visa would cancel your PR...maybe I didn't understand your question?
Say you came back AFTER your PR had expired on a tourist visa, techinically you are still a resident its only the travel period thats expired?
Old Jul 29th 2013, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

Say you came back AFTER your PR had expired on a tourist visa, techinically you are still a resident its only the travel period thats expired?
No, the right to re-enter Australia expires on the 'must not re-enter after' date on your PR visa as Pollyanna said. In order to re-enter AU as a permanent resident, you would need to have obtained an RRV - in which case, your original PR visa would no longer be valid.

Last edited by Rhubarb65; Jul 29th 2013 at 1:19 pm. Reason: removed reference to Citizenship - confusing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.