British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Applying for new PR while your existing PR is not expired (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/applying-new-pr-while-your-existing-pr-not-expired-804261/)

JeronimoSAP Jul 28th 2013 2:09 am

Applying for new PR while your existing PR is not expired

I have unusual question. Is possible to apply for the new PR (from the scratch) while my existing PR is still valid?
The reason for this could be that I don't qualify for the 5 years RRV and new PR visa will give me chance to have another 5 years.
From other side if my new PR application will be rejected then I will move to Australia to keep existing PR visa.

Anyone faced the same dilemma?

commonwealth Jul 28th 2013 2:11 am

Re: Applying for new PR while your existing PR is not expired

Well where are you at the moment?

JeronimoSAP Jul 28th 2013 2:17 am

I am not in Australia at the moment, working in middle east.

old.sparkles Jul 28th 2013 2:24 am

Originally Posted by JeronimoSAP (Post 10822494)
I am not in Australia at the moment, working in middle east.

When does your current visa expire? Obviously your safest bet is to make the move before then. New rules mean that you have to submit an EOI and be invited to apply for a visa, and costs have gone up if you have any dependants.

JeronimoSAP Jul 28th 2013 2:33 am

My PR expires next year. Thanks for the advises. I am aware of the process change.

To clarify my question:
1. Is there any DIAC regulation preventing to apply to the new RP while having existing RP?
2. Does anyone has similar experience?

Bermudashorts Jul 28th 2013 2:40 am

You can apply for any visa you want, nothing to stop you doing what you suggest.

joojay Jul 28th 2013 5:25 am

You could apply for any new visa ... but if you plan on living in Australia, why dont u just go there before your current PR expires?

roaringmouse Jul 28th 2013 10:54 am

Originally Posted by JeronimoSAP (Post 10822492)
The reason for this could be that I don't qualify for the 5 years RRV and new PR visa will give me chance to have another 5 years.

Then move to Australia with you current visa before it expires.

Bermudashorts Jul 28th 2013 8:11 pm

I think OP knows he can move to Australia before the current visa expires. The question is can he apply for another PR visa, presumably because moving before the current one expires is tricky for whatever reason.

jambo72 Jul 29th 2013 12:13 pm

Tricky one as it gives you an extra 5 years would be interested in how that would pan out.

Also isnt it not that your PR doesn't expire just the travel period? How does that work if you want to go back on holiday would they not let you in?

Pollyana Jul 29th 2013 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by jambo72 (Post 10824692)
Tricky one as it gives you an extra 5 years would be interested in how that would pan out.

Also isnt it not that your PR doesn't expire just the travel period? How does that work if you want to go back on holiday would they not let you in?

The PR visa has a date on it, five years from grant date "MUST NOT ENTER AFTER...." That's the travel portion and that expires. After five years you either need to have become a citizen or to get a RRv in order to travel in and/or out of Australia.

If you are outside, and you don't meet the requirements for a RRV - for instance you have only visited once in 5 years, for a week - you cannot travel to Aus because you have no right of entry.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/

If you want to come back on holiday after the expiry date you would need to get a tourist visa of some kind

jambo72 Jul 29th 2013 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10824700)
The PR visa has a date on it, five years from grant date "MUST NOT ENTER AFTER...." That's the travel portion and that expires. After five years you either need to have become a citizen or to get a RRv in order to travel in and/or out of Australia.

If you are outside, and you don't meet the requirements for a RRV - for instance you have only visited once in 5 years, for a week - you cannot travel to Aus because you have no right of entry.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/

If you want to come back on holiday after the expiry date you would need to get a tourist visa of some kind

What if you came back on a tourist and just started again on the PR as you would still technically be resident wouldnt you?

Rhubarb65 Jul 29th 2013 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by jambo72 (Post 10824729)
What if you came back on a tourist and just started again on the PR as you would still technically be resident wouldnt you?

Hi Jambo,

if you came back on a tourist visa before the expiry of your original visa, that tourist visa would cancel your PR...maybe I didn't understand your question?

jambo72 Jul 29th 2013 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65 (Post 10824748)
Hi Jambo,

if you came back on a tourist visa before the expiry of your original visa, that tourist visa would cancel your PR...maybe I didn't understand your question?

Say you came back AFTER your PR had expired on a tourist visa, techinically you are still a resident its only the travel period thats expired?

Rhubarb65 Jul 29th 2013 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by jambo72 (Post 10824758)
Say you came back AFTER your PR had expired on a tourist visa, techinically you are still a resident its only the travel period thats expired?

No, the right to re-enter Australia expires on the 'must not re-enter after' date on your PR visa as Pollyanna said. In order to re-enter AU as a permanent resident, you would need to have obtained an RRV - in which case, your original PR visa would no longer be valid.