ACS Skills Assessment - RPL

Old Mar 15th 2015, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

pimpmycode is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACS Skills Assessment - RPL

Hi,

I'm considering applying for skills assessment with ACS, however my case is not completely straightforward so i wanted to find out if anyone has had success in a similar situation.

My occupation is on the SOL, I have 9 years of SAP consulting experience, a one year IT learnership and four SAP certifications, however i have no Bachelors or Masters degree. As a result it looks like my best option is to apply for RPL with ACS. Has anyone else gone this route with ACS? I'm wondering if i have a fighting chance.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 5:08 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACS Skills Assessment - RPL

Originally Posted by pimpmycode
Hi,

I'm considering applying for skills assessment with ACS, however my case is not completely straightforward so i wanted to find out if anyone has had success in a similar situation.

My occupation is on the SOL, I have 9 years of SAP consulting experience, a one year IT learnership and four SAP certifications, however i have no Bachelors or Masters degree. As a result it looks like my best option is to apply for RPL with ACS. Has anyone else gone this route with ACS? I'm wondering if i have a fighting chance.
Employment used to deem you skilled cannot be used for points. To be deemed skilled by ACS you need 8 years experience as well as a successful RPL if you have no qualifications, which will leave you no experience to claim points on. If you were successful, would you still be able to meet the points requirement for a visa?
Old Mar 16th 2015, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

old.sparkles Thanks for the response and information about the 'deemed skilled' rules.

If my skills assessment was successful i would have to aim for a superior english rating on IELTS in order to boost my points. That and age would give me 45 points meaning 15 points short still. I see you can get 10 points for a qualification, can that be a vendor certification? Even then i'm still 5 points short.

So are my options either to get a qualification or gain additional years experience? If i was to be sponsored and transferred by my company to one of our offices in AUS would the same situation above still apply?

Apologies for all the questions. Any info is appreciated.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 7:22 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pimpmycode
old.sparkles Thanks for the response and information about the 'deemed skilled' rules.

If my skills assessment was successful i would have to aim for a superior english rating on IELTS in order to boost my points. That and age would give me 45 points meaning 15 points short still. I see you can get 10 points for a qualification, can that be a vendor certification? Even then i'm still 5 points short.

So are my options either to get a qualification or gain additional years experience? If i was to be sponsored and transferred by my company to one of our offices in AUS would the same situation above still apply?

Apologies for all the questions. Any info is appreciated.
If you were sponsored on a 457 , I don't think you need the assessment as such, but they would need to satisfy DIBP that they cannot find someone locally.

457's are temporary 4 year visas, but after 2 years they could sponsor you for 186 temporary resident transition stream where you also wont need the skills assessment I think.

Have a look here - Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)
Old Mar 18th 2015, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

powderbabe is just really nicepowderbabe is just really nicepowderbabe is just really nicepowderbabe is just really nicepowderbabe is just really nicepowderbabe is just really nicepowderbabe is just really nicepowderbabe is just really nice

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
If you were sponsored on a 457 , I don't think you need the assessment as such, but they would need to satisfy DIBP that they cannot find someone locally.

457's are temporary 4 year visas, but after 2 years they could sponsor you for 186 temporary resident transition stream where you also wont need the skills assessment I think.

Have a look here - Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)
I'm so sorry to hijack this post - I've been trawling around loads of websites for days to try to get information like the above and even just emailed an immigration lawyer to see if they could help.

I know that I haven't been in my job for long enough (only 2 years) to pass the assessment by ACS for one of the permanent visas yet so was wondering if finding an employer to sponsor me on the 457 would be possible. Do I understand the above correctly? I do realise that it would be a long process even trying to find an sponsor, but if this is possible then I can at least start looking...
Again, apologies for the hijack :-p and do let me know if I have completely misunderstood again!!
Old Mar 18th 2015, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by powderbabe
I'm so sorry to hijack this post - I've been trawling around loads of websites for days to try to get information like the above and even just emailed an immigration lawyer to see if they could help.

I know that I haven't been in my job for long enough (only 2 years) to pass the assessment by ACS for one of the permanent visas yet so was wondering if finding an employer to sponsor me on the 457 would be possible. Do I understand the above correctly? I do realise that it would be a long process even trying to find an sponsor, but if this is possible then I can at least start looking...
Again, apologies for the hijack :-p and do let me know if I have completely misunderstood again!!
If you have a degree relevant to your occupation, 2 years experience may be all that is needed to pass the assessment. But 457's often don't need an assessment as they are temporary visas, A direct entry 186 would still need one though.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Pittaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm considering the same should my wifes' assessment of qualifications are deemed insufficient.

From what i have read, if you have no degree (similar to me) you will have to have 10 years of skilled work history including 8 in the relevant ANZSCO field, and complete 2 RPLS.

I am also a systems consultant and have had a good look through the RPL requirements. This should be bread and butter for you over a weekend as your project experience and background will cover off the requirements.

Is there a reason you don't want to complete an RPL (i know its a long winded process)? I believe if you cover all of the questions in the RPL document then there will be no reason for ACS to reject your application.

Cheers
Old Mar 20th 2015, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pittaway
Hi,

I'm considering the same should my wifes' assessment of qualifications are deemed insufficient.

From what i have read, if you have no degree (similar to me) you will have to have 10 years of skilled work history including 8 in the relevant ANZSCO field, and complete 2 RPLS.

I am also a systems consultant and have had a good look through the RPL requirements. This should be bread and butter for you over a weekend as your project experience and background will cover off the requirements.

Is there a reason you don't want to complete an RPL (i know its a long winded process)? I believe if you cover all of the questions in the RPL document then there will be no reason for ACS to reject your application.

Cheers
Hi Pittaway,

Im ok with going the RPL route, i am quite confident with putting the necessary information together. The problem i see as old.sparkles pointed out is that as i am in my 9th year of experience i may get through the assessment but would not have enough points for the visa. To be honest i'm not really sure how to proceed.

How many years of experience do you have?
Old Mar 20th 2015, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

i did notice you only have 9 years. How long until you hit year 10? I'll tell you the reason; i take it you are applying under the ANZSCO of systems analyst, applications for these codes are now closed until July 1st 2015, the ceiling has been reached, i'm unsure how the selection from EOI to application is prioritised, whether this is based on highest points etc, but it if you can reach those 10 years in skilled employment (8 in the ANZSCO) by july/august and between now and then get your 20 points from the IELTS then you'll be in good stead for when applications are opened again.

I'm lucky in that i made 10 years in Feb just gone, and have got copies of all the references throughout my work history in line with the ACS's requirements.

Cheers
Old Mar 20th 2015, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Pittaway
Hi,

i did notice you only have 9 years. How long until you hit year 10? I'll tell you the reason; i take it you are applying under the ANZSCO of systems analyst, applications for these codes are now closed until July 1st 2015, the ceiling has been reached, i'm unsure how the selection from EOI to application is prioritised, whether this is based on highest points etc, but it if you can reach those 10 years in skilled employment (8 in the ANZSCO) by july/august and between now and then get your 20 points from the IELTS then you'll be in good stead for when applications are opened again.

I'm lucky in that i made 10 years in Feb just gone, and have got copies of all the references throughout my work history in line with the ACS's requirements.

Cheers
This is not the case for everyone. As mentioned above, the OP has no formal qualifications so needs a successful RPL plus 8 years experience to be deemed skilled. If they had a non-ICT diploma or higher this would be reduced to 6, but that would still only leave 3 years to claim points on.

To only need 2 years experience to be deemed skilled by ACS you need a Bachelor degree or higher, with ICT major that is closely related to your nominated occupation. If you are unclear of how many years you need, you can check ACS summary criteria - https://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets...teria-2014.pdf
Old Apr 4th 2015, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

powderbabe is just really nicepowderbabe is just really nicepowderbabe is just really nicepowderbabe is just really nicepowderbabe is just really nicepowderbabe is just really nicepowderbabe is just really nicepowderbabe is just really nice

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
If you have a degree relevant to your occupation, 2 years experience may be all that is needed to pass the assessment. But 457's often don't need an assessment as they are temporary visas, A direct entry 186 would still need one though.
Thanks old.sparkles - I didn't see your response earlier. Appreciate you coming back to me on that!
Old Apr 8th 2015, 8:12 am
Account Closed

MarkHoath is on a distinguished road

457 visa first. SAP consultants will have no issue finding a job or self sponsoring under 457. then ENS for PR.

Save yourself the cost and hassle of an RPL with ACS
Old Apr 8th 2015, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the guidance! I was also thinking about whether this may be a viable alternative.

Cheers!
Old Apr 24th 2015, 5:12 am
Just Joined

mkashifyousuf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarkHoath
457 visa first. SAP consultants will have no issue finding a job or self sponsoring under 457. then ENS for PR.

Save yourself the cost and hassle of an RPL with ACS
Dear
Would you please clarify above..
I m also from IT feild and facing same.
What do you mean by 457 visa first. To apply one need to be sponsor from employer.. But u mention self sponsor ..I can't figure it out.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 9:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mkashifyousuf
Dear
Would you please clarify above..
I m also from IT feild and facing same.
What do you mean by 457 visa first. To apply one need to be sponsor from employer.. But u mention self sponsor ..I can't figure it out.
I have heard of self-sponsoring for a 457 but I don't think its very common, as I believe you have to set up a company and meet training requirements etc.
Maybe MarkHoath could expand on it a little?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.