ACS (Australian Computer Society) question

Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:23 am
Just Joined

The Noonans will become famous soon enoughThe Noonans will become famous soon enough
Question ACS (Australian Computer Society) question

Hi all!

Just a question on the Resume that ACS specifies in their Application Process page.

It says a Resume must be the following:
"Details of qualifications held, brief details of relevant experience, and the periods of these positions. Attach a detailed written explanation of your professional information technology experience including positions held, projects undertaken and your contributions to them."

My understanding of this would be to draw up a brief and concise Resume, just stating positions, dates and short description of experiences and then attaching a more long-winded 'essay' type document detailing exactly what you have been doing throughout your career, including the projects.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Much appreciated!

Thanks!
S
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

TheImmigrant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ACS (Australian Computer Society) question

Originally Posted by The Noonans
Hi all!

Just a question on the Resume that ACS specifies in their Application Process page.

"Details of qualifications held, brief details of relevant experience, and the periods of these positions. Attach a detailed written explanation of your professional information technology experience including positions held, projects undertaken and your contributions to them."

My understanding of this would be to draw up a brief and concise Resume, just stating positions, dates and short description of experiences and then attaching a more long-winded 'essay' type document detailing exactly what you have been doing throughout your career, including the projects.

Much appreciated!

Thanks!
S
u r rite. CV shud contain only starting and ending dates whereas ur exxperience letters shud be detailed ones
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

I don't think there is a fixed rule for this.

As well as two short employer references (1 page each), I included a single resume document of about 5 pages. It included a brief career summary at the beginning, followed by a more detailed explanation of the work I'd done.

My work experience was fairly straightforward (the same job and employer for the last 4 years), so other people will need to provide more information than I did. However, I do think that some people put too much emphasis on the quantity of information provided rather than the quality.

My application was approved.

Incidentally, I was group 'A' - it's probably different for other types of application.

Good luck with your application.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

FionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really nice

I think Australian resumes tend to be longer and have more detailed descriptions than UK CVs, so I just padded mine out with more information.

Don't know what the South African CV is like.

I just went into a bit more detail than I normally would.

Last edited by FionaandAndrew; Jul 7th 2008 at 4:43 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

cherni is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Noonans
Hi all!

Much appreciated!

Thanks!
S
Well, what I'm doing is the following:

1.- Brief description of what I did in my CV. Ie:

As a Senior Consultant at XXXXX, I am working on many national and international companies belonging to different industries, such as: Energy, Healthcare, Banks, Insurance, Steel Industry, Communications and Entertainment. Some of the projects I have worked so far are related to:

• Network security design & implementation
• Active Directory security & analysis
• Linux platform security vulnerability assessment & analysis
• Microsoft platform security vulnerability assessment & analysis
• bla bla bla
• bla bla bla
• bla bla bla

I am engaged in commercial activities at XXXXXto detect new market needs and capture new customers.

Some of the companies I worked for:
2.- Attached a detailed work experience where I place more details for some of the projects I worked for. For instance, for my XXXXX working period, I did 3 pages.

I think that should do it.

Hope it helps!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:39 am
Just Joined

The Noonans will become famous soon enoughThe Noonans will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: ACS (Australian Computer Society) question

Thanks everyone for your advice, much appreciated!!

Now if only hubby could stop working long enough to actually get his darn ACS application finished! (They are working him to the bone - or he's working himself to the bone!)

I am really nervous to apply because we applied a few years ago and were declined, twice - but that was because we calculated the number of years of work experience incorrectly.

I'm so nervous to get a negative response again - that will pretty much scorch our plans for emmigrating!!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

elementv is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cherni,

I am getting my present and previous employers to provide me with a reference stating the role, dates and a job description with about 15-20 points for each role. In your opinion would that suffice?
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Originally Posted by cherni
Well, what I'm doing is the following:

1.- Brief description of what I did in my CV. Ie:

2.- Attached a detailed work experience where I place more details for some of the projects I worked for. For instance, for my XXXXX working period, I did 3 pages.

I think that should do it.

Hope it helps!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by elementv
Hi Cherni,

I am getting my present and previous employers to provide me with a reference stating the role, dates and a job description with about 15-20 points for each role. In your opinion would that suffice?
Hi elementv,

I think that should do it. My ref letters have the following:

1.- Printed with letter head of the company
2.- The employer states my working period, full-time/part-time, salary or $/hs and position held
3.- Main 5 duties I undertook, related to my CV and detailed work exp.
4.- Closing arguments (where they say I did a great job and wish to work with me again)
5.- Their name, signature, e-mail, direct phone, position, etc.

Cheers mate!

Any doubts, feel free to ask... If I can assist you... I will
Old Jul 13th 2008, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elementv
Hi Cherni,

This does not meet the criteria specified in the ACS application process which are quite clear :

1) Employer references (dates, job descriptions and level of competence)
2) CV -standard CV provided by you
3) Detailed explanation - expansion of roles listed in CV, detailing specific skills, tasks, contributions, technologies etc - provided by you

Whether what you are proposing is acceptable, only ACS could advise, but it is not what they have requested.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by slackbloke
This does not meet the criteria specified in the ACS application process which are quite clear :

1) Employer references (dates, job descriptions and level of competence)
2) CV -standard CV provided by you
3) Detailed explanation - expansion of roles listed in CV, detailing specific skills, tasks, contributions, technologies etc - provided by you

Whether what you are proposing is acceptable, only ACS could advise, but it is not what they have requested.
slackbloke, I believe what he asked was in reference of the contents of the ref. letters. However, what you say it's true, there reference letters must be send along with the CV, detailed work exp, pay slips for recent job (if available), etc.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cherni
slackbloke, I believe what he asked was in reference of the contents of the ref. letters. However, what you say it's true, there reference letters must be send along with the CV, detailed work exp, pay slips for recent job (if available), etc.
Cherni, the post being referenced by elementv (your post) was not about reference letters, but about the CV (summary and detailed), the implication being that elementv wanted to combine the detailed explanation in the employers references.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

elementv is an unknown quantity at this point

Cherni was right. I meant to ask about the employer reference letter. I will include the other documents too.
Thanks to both of you for your replies.