Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

children applicant for citizenship using form 1290

children applicant for citizenship using form 1290

Old Aug 27th 2014, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

whtzau is on a distinguished road
Smile children applicant for citizenship using form 1290

Dear all,

I will need to help my son to apply for conferral of citizenship in his own right by filing form 1290.

I would like to know if there was similar experience for this kind of situation, which child under 15 years of age applied for citizenship in his own right , thanks.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: children applicant for citizenship using form 1290

Originally Posted by whtzau
Dear all,

I will need to help my son to apply for conferral of citizenship in his own right by filing form 1290.

I would like to know if there was similar experience for this kind of situation, which child under 15 years of age applied for citizenship in his own right , thanks.
The problem we encountered is when trying to fill in "online" form 1290, the system will generate a warning message related to residence requirement.

However, based on the paper form 1290 and official website - Australian Citizenship – Children aged 15 years and under or unaccompanied minors

Children aged 15 years and under

If you intend to apply for Australian citizenship on your own, you must be a permanent resident when you apply and when a decision is made on your application. You also need to be living with:

a responsible parent who is an Australian citizen or
a responsible parent who is not an Australian citizen and you would otherwise suffer significant hardship or disadvantage.

Your application form must be signed by the responsible parent you live with.

I would like to know how to fill in online form 1290 as children applicant does not need to meet residence requirement, thanks.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 9:08 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: children applicant for citizenship using form 1290

The problem we encountered is when trying to fill in "online" form 1290, the system will generate a warning message related to residence requirement.

However, based on the paper form 1290 and official website - Australian Citizenship – Children aged 15 years and under or unaccompanied minors

Children aged 15 years and under

If you intend to apply for Australian citizenship on your own, you must be a permanent resident when you apply and when a decision is made on your application. You also need to be living with:

a responsible parent who is an Australian citizen or
a responsible parent who is not an Australian citizen and you would otherwise suffer significant hardship or disadvantage.

Your application form must be signed by the responsible parent you live with.

I would like to know how to fill in online form 1290 as children applicant does not need to meet residence requirement, thanks.
Why do you think your son qualifies for citizenship?
Old Aug 27th 2014, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Why do you think your son qualifies for citizenship?
my son's PR visa was still progressing when I attended citizenship ceremony.
now, my son just got subclass 101 visa

per form 1290 ,

are under 16 years of age – you must be a permanent
resident when you apply and when a decision is made on
your application. You also need to be living with:
– a responsible parent who is an Australian citizen,
Old Aug 27th 2014, 10:42 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

my son's PR visa was still progressing when I attended citizenship ceremony.
now, my son just got subclass 101 visa

per form 1290 ,

are under 16 years of age – you must be a permanent
resident when you apply and when a decision is made on
your application. You also need to be living with:
– a responsible parent who is an Australian citizen,
Has your son validated his visa and is he living with you now?
Old Aug 27th 2014, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Has your son validated his visa and is he living with you now?

yes, he just arrived australian with subclass 101 visa and living with me,
the thing is he is only 1 year old, and per form 1290, he does not need to meet general residence requirement.

however, online for 1290 shows error which he does not meet general residence requirement. so i would like to know if there was any similar experience happened on others before.

of course i could submit the application by paper, just prefer online basis.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 11:20 am

yes, he just arrived australian with subclass 101 visa and living with me,
the thing is he is only 1 year old, and per form 1290, he does not need to meet general residence requirement.

however, online for 1290 shows error which he does not meet general residence requirement. so i would like to know if there was any similar experience happened on others before.

of course i could submit the application by paper, just prefer online basis.
I'm surprised you didn't delay your own application and include your son with yours. If you do not want to do the paper application perhaps some others have a solution to the online issue.