Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

New Zealand Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board

New Zealand Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board

Old Jul 1st 2007, 8:24 pm
slime

simon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nice
Exclamation New Zealand Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board

I have received documents as part of my immigration package to apply for a limited licence for a gas fitter and an application to assess qualifications. The limited licence will need you signature and $105, which I can pay by visa.

As for the application to assess qualifications, do I also need to also need to apply for this at the same time and send them all the UK corgi registration details and documents to support this? The cost of this is $400 or can this be done at alter date when I start work in New Zealand. I also have no formal apprenticeship just corgi registration. Some help needed for this confusing bit of the application from any one who made it,

many thanks
Old Jul 1st 2007, 11:41 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: New Zealand Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board

Hi Simon.

You cannot apply for a limited licence unless you have a job to go to. A limited licence must be countersigned by an NZ employer.

Do you have a job offer?

If you are applying to emigrate to New Zealand as a skilled migrant [ gasfitter] then your UK qualifications must be assessed in order for them to be worth points. You will be looking for your qualifications and work experience to be assessed at a level 4.

NZQA can do a pre-assessement for you at the cheaper rate of around $75 bucks but regardless if you do that or not, you will have to have your quals assessed by the PGDB..

The PGDB is the governing regulatory board for the plumbing and gasfitting trade. An assessment costs $400.
Again, you want to see that they assess your quals and experience as being OK PARTWAY towards NZ registration. The PGDB do not fully recognise any overseas qualfication and there is a registration exam to sit before becoming registered.

You need to send them certified copies of your ACS certificates and proof of any training - C&G/NVQ or maybe training that your UK employer has put you through. Also a copy of your CORGI card goes down well.
You also need to send back up of your work experience .

As you have found out an assessment from them costs $400 bucks.

NZIS accept assessment decisions from the PGDB and you would use the assessment letter when you submitted an ITA to prove you have the standard required to claim points.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 4:28 pm
slime

simon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nice

thanks for replying os quick BEVS I think it a little clearer now

I forgot to say that I have a job to go to, so all I need to send off for a limited certificate for my INZ application and get it signed by my new employer. As for the application to assess qualifications (ANZRA) what your saying that I can do this at a later date, or if both need to done can they be done at the same time.

Ps can all this be done on line, which will be quicker than snail mail?
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 4:13 am
`

You cannot apply for the limited licence on-line as you need the registered blokie to countersign the application.
Fill in your limited licence application and send it to your NZ employer for them to complete. Then keep at them to make sure they have forwarded it onto the PGDB.

What type of visa are you going for ? Will you be applying for a temporary work visa first to start work and then submitting an EOI , or going straight for EOI?

If you have the money , $400 and are certain you wish to live and work in Nz , then you should get cracking with the assessment now. The PGDB can be a little on the slow side. As I said before you could try a pre-assessment from the NZQA site for just $75 but in the end you will still have to be assessed by the PGDB.

You cannot do the PGDB assessment on line. Make photocopies of any qualifications, certificates, your ACS certificates, CORGI card [back and front] and take the photocopies to a Notary to have them certified . You will need to send these with the Assessment application. Also, collate proof of work experience, customer ref. letters, copy of your job contract/description if it mentions gasfitting etc, a CV and so on... as much as you can to back your application.

I note you have no formal training, but the PGDB may be happy with any ACS training weeks you have attended for core module renewals etc. Also, it would be prudent to add any training you have received from your employer. You must have had some training from somewhere to work on gas

If you are champing on the bit to start an EOI , then splash out for an NZQA pre-assessment as an extra. You can do this on-line for ONE qualification - this will be your CORGI registration backed by all the ACS modules you hold.
You will want the assessment to ideally come back at a level 4.

Bottom line is , you need your work experience and training to match your NZ job offer.

Exactly what have you re. gas ?
Old Jul 4th 2007, 6:14 pm
slime

Smile Re: New Zealand Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board

Thanks BEVS, for you help I have another bit of paper-sorted wing its way to me via snail mail.

I intend to apply for registration when I am out there working I think it probably is easer with the documentation thanks again
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:25 am
`

OK but you haven't said how you are coming here to work. Have you applied for a temporary work visa? Or do you intend to submit an EOI ?

With a temporary work visa, the NZIS should be satisifed with your limited licence fromthe PGDB and copies of your quals , certs plus the details of your work in the UK and the job offer details from NZ.

For an EOI to emigrate as a permanent resident, you will need your UK quals etc assessed ,as the NZIS work from the NZ assessments. Your NZ job offer needs to match your gasfitting skills.

You don't apply for registration. That's not the process.
What will happen is that you will pay the PGDB $400 dollars to have your UK CORGI registration along with your ACS modules , training and work experience assessed .
The PGDB do like apprenticeships and NVQs but it is perfectly possible to satisfy their criteria without that , provided you can show you have a standard.

You will then receive a letter back which will say one of two things
1] congrats, your assessment is positive and we will give you gasfitting registration once you sit and pass our registration exams.
2] Nopeididoo. You do not meet the standard and need to do further training to gain an NZ National Certificate PLUS sit the registration exams before you will be a registered gasfitter. you can be assessed for prior learning and experience but it is still National Certificiate and Registration exam.

Following this there is annual licence fees and a competance based licence system very similar to CORGI.

Until that time, you will remain on a limited licence, which means you can legally work at gas-fitting in New Zealand under supervision. All your work must be supervised and signed off by a registered gas-fitter.
In theory you should be physically supervised at all times and should not work by yourself.
This is the same licence that apprentices , labourers, and plumbers mates work under.

With regard to the limited licence, have your NZ employer lobby the PGDB to get a move on with it.
Once it is approved and issued, they will send you a card and a latter. Have them send you a copy of the letter via email . It states the limited licence on it and you can use that number on your work visa application or your EOI submission.
There is a register on the PGDB site which NZIS can check on for pproof. They will also phone your NZ employer for confirmation.

You should also get full details of your job terms and conditions which must show it is
full time
the rate of pay
holidays - 4 weeks
sick pay
permanent.

NZIS require this .
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

AndyJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS here
OK but you haven't said how you are coming here to work. Have you applied for a temporary work visa? Or do you intend to submit an EOI ?

With a temporary work visa, the NZIS should be satisifed with your limited licence fromthe PGDB and copies of your quals , certs plus the details of your work in the UK and the job offer details from NZ.

For an EOI to emigrate as a permanent resident, you will need your UK quals etc assessed ,as the NZIS work from the NZ assessments. Your NZ job offer needs to match your gasfitting skills.

You don't apply for registration. That's not the process.
What will happen is that you will pay the PGDB $400 dollars to have your UK CORGI registration along with your ACS modules , training and work experience assessed .
The PGDB do like apprenticeships and NVQs but it is perfectly possible to satisfy their criteria without that , provided you can show you have a standard.

You will then receive a letter back which will say one of two things
1] congrats, your assessment is positive and we will give you gasfitting registration once you sit and pass our registration exams.
2] Nopeididoo. You do not meet the standard and need to do further training to gain an NZ National Certificate PLUS sit the registration exams before you will be a registered gasfitter. you can be assessed for prior learning and experience but it is still National Certificiate and Registration exam.

Following this there is annual licence fees and a competance based licence system very similar to CORGI.

Until that time, you will remain on a limited licence, which means you can legally work at gas-fitting in New Zealand under supervision. All your work must be supervised and signed off by a registered gas-fitter.
In theory you should be physically supervised at all times and should not work by yourself.
This is the same licence that apprentices , labourers, and plumbers mates work under.

With regard to the limited licence, have your NZ employer lobby the PGDB to get a move on with it.
Once it is approved and issued, they will send you a card and a latter. Have them send you a copy of the letter via email . It states the limited licence on it and you can use that number on your work visa application or your EOI submission.
There is a register on the PGDB site which NZIS can check on for pproof. They will also phone your NZ employer for confirmation.

You should also get full details of your job terms and conditions which must show it is
full time
the rate of pay
holidays - 4 weeks
sick pay
permanent.

NZIS require this .
Hi Simon
I would be very interested to hear your progress as I am thinking of emigratingto NZ.
I am also a catering equipment engineer (Corgi Registered) 49 years old & from Redditch.
I tried to message you, but I need to make 3 posts before I can contact you
Regards
Andy
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:33 am
`

Originally Posted by AndyJ
Hi Simon
I would be very interested to hear your progress as I am thinking of emigratingto NZ.
I am also a catering equipment engineer (Corgi Registered) 49 years old & from Redditch.
I tried to message you, but I need to make 3 posts before I can contact you
Regards
Andy
Eh? Where does Simon-Nall say he is a Catering Equip engineer?

Welcome to the board AndyJ. Looking forward to seeing you post to the boards.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 11:51 am
Just Joined

AndyJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Eh? Where does Simon-Nall say he is a Catering Equip engineer?

Welcome to the board AndyJ. Looking forward to seeing you post to the boards.
In his profile & many thanks for the welcome
Old Jul 7th 2007, 12:50 am
`

Originally Posted by AndyJ
In his profile & many thanks for the welcome
Doh !