Nelson area schools

Old Jul 3rd 2007, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

houseofwhites has a spectacular aura abouthouseofwhites has a spectacular aura abouthouseofwhites has a spectacular aura about
Smile Nelson area schools

Nelson - rural schools or not?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi
We are just going through the process of the 'big move' and my main focus is our children and what sort of schools there are out there.
Our children are 4 and 8 (obviously my youngest will be in kindi (i'm guessing!)
We currently are in a really lovely rural school in england with 300 infant and junior kids in total.
Can anyone out there tell me the best sort of areas to be looking at, where are the good schools etc so we can also base ourselves living close by too.
Any help really appreciated, if i know the children are happy then it will make our transition alot smoother too!

Also any tips on transporting out pets would be great too! cat, dog and two young tortoise!!

thanks

Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Nelson area schools

I'll reply to this as I live in Mapua which is a village outside of Nelson.

Trouble is HouseofWhites, we don't have children so its a bit difficult for me to recommend schools , rural or otherwise.

I can't see why your children shouldn't be happy at one of the rural schools if they settle to NZ life. We have noticed an upswing in migrants of all nationalities coming to this area and certainly in and around our village. None of those seem to have a problem with their children being at the local village school here.

Many of the migrants & kiwis for that matter, buy in extra tuition for their children .
The subject of NZ schooling can be an emotive one . Some migrants will claim its more fun and balanced for the kids , some will claim the academic standard on a year to year basis is behind that of the UK schooling system.
My suggestion would be to keep an open mind on the differing methods and ideaology and see how your child thrives --- or doesn't.

I do know that several families have chosen for their children to go to Nelson Boys and Girls college once they are of that age. This would be privately paid.
One family has their 6 years old already on the waiting list.
There is also a Catholic college which is well thought of, but the name escapes me. Again that is for age 11+

I'll try and ask about to see what is what on this village school lark. Thing is , so many children here live out in the valleys or are very rural that there are many village schools. Rural school buses abound.

We brought out two cats with us .We used Airpets at Heathrow and they guided us through the process for the cats to emigrate here. Golden Arrow seems to also be a recommended pet carrier.
Get your cats and dog micro-chipped . They will have to be treated for worms, hookworm and fleas. you'll be required to submit a stool sample to the air carriers vet . If you contact Airpets or any other carrier they will be happy to send you comprehensive details and prices.

With regard to the tortoises , please contact MAF [click on the link] direct to find out whether you can import your pets.
I do know that pet parrots may not come in for instance.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:25 am
Just Joined

Harlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really nice

Hi,

Just a quick note on our own experience and hope it may be of help. We took over a small motel at Tahunanui beach, Nelson in December 2006, having arrived in NZ last September. At the time our two boys were 4 and 6, so we registered Ewan at the local kindergarten and he attended a couple of afternoons initially, before a space opened up in the mornings. We have been very impressed with the kindergarten system, lots of hands-on activities, up to 20 hours a week are free, but a small set donation is requested. As soon as the kids hit five years of age (today as it happens for Ewan), they step up to the 'big' school, having been introduced to the future environment by a series of weekly visits beforehand.
Our eldest is attending Tahunanui school, and it suits him down to the ground, there is a strong emphasis on sports and other outdoor activities, and both our kids settled in to the new surroundings very quickly.
Outside of school, there are many and varied opportunities for kids, both our boys play soccer at the weekends, Konan in the under 7's five a side league, and Ewan in "the midgets" for under 6's. Konan played in the Kiwi cricket league during the summer months. Swimming is taught daily at the school during the summer months. and there is lots of enthusiastic cyclists around, including an excellent bmx track within walking distance.
I was told upon arrival in the Nelson that there were no "bad" schools in the area, and so far I have no reason to doubt this. The schools ask for and receive a lot of parent input and assistance, and outside of school I have been amazed at the number of parents volunteering their time to help coach sports.
So, to sum up I feel very happy with what we have seen of the schooling here for the age of children we have. I'd be happy to help in any way if possible in the future.
Regards,
Dave.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

houseofwhites has a spectacular aura abouthouseofwhites has a spectacular aura abouthouseofwhites has a spectacular aura about

Guys,
thanks for your input, that has reassured me no end with the kids.
Found out yesterday that the tortoise can't come with us, which i'm gutted about cos they are only 2 and 3 years old and are very muched loved.
But i guess that is part and parcel of the whole re location thing.
Thanks again
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:24 am
`

It's tough to leave loved pets isn't it. We had to leave our Rose Bourkes. I donated some to a local bird garden in the end and my Dad had a pair.

Do you have an area or a type of area in mind at all ?

A bit of a wish list if you like - do you want rural, village, suburb, city , etc
Old Jul 6th 2007, 7:30 am
Just Joined

ideally rural or village, whats the house prices like in these areas?
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:15 am
`

Can I ask where you are at the moment. Send a PM if you wish. There is rural and rural.. I am happy to send you some property papers etc through the post. Again PM me.

To give you a bit of faith , I lived in Bournemouth. Husband is a plumber originally from the Midlands. I did accountancy which did not suit me AT ALL. I also worked as an aid with asperger kids, which did totally suit me. We came to NZ 3 years ago. We had been here before in 97 but not Nelson and Bays. We came for a reccy in 2004 and then specifically chose Nelson as the place to be. Phil chose Mapua. Good choice.

We went from a suburb of Bournemouth called Southbourne where I could walk to the sea and the prom everyday - and did. to Mapua, a village with a couple of shops and a very tidal estuary.
There were shops and shows, theatres and proximity to London. It's 4 hours drive to Xchurch here or a flight to Welly.

I'd just like to get a feel, then I will be better placed to advise.

Happy to go out and reccy for you too.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Oh my god thats so spooky!! i'm from Lymington in Hampshire!! and also have a past in residential care in autism!!
Well we currently are trying to find a change of career for my hubby, he currently is a care mamanger in an EBD school but needs a change and we are looking at him studing for a coulple of years out in NZ to help us gain residency. i know its a gamble but we need to do something we are desparate to change our lives for the better.
It all depends on the courses he looks at doing, viniculture and wine production appeals to him at the marborough campus or even other courses in Nelson it's self but. Shame we have to pay such huge fees to study out in NZ but i'm guessing it's going to be worth every penny?
thanks for your help and once we get some concrete info i'll defently be back in touch.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:54 am
`

I worked at Hesley for a while

You do not have to pay mad fees to re-train if you have PR.

Do you both have any quals within special needs which would help an application?
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:47 am
Just Joined

us too!!!!! i was with them seven years, Solent View then The Forum, i bet you were at Southlands then if you were with the aspergers client group.
I'm a nursery nurse and have my advanced diploma too as well as a Makaton etc and now teach kids 0-5 with speical needs in their homes in our community and my husband has NVQ4 in care and is an NVQ assessor and verifier too.
He does not want to work in this field anymore but i do so if you know of any special needs schools or early intervention programmes in this area please let me know becasue this maybe a way out? all depends on the skills shortage list i guess at the time doesnt it? or if i got a job would we be able to stay and apply for permanent residency that way?
i'm getting so bogged down with it all now... sorry to waffle!!!!
chat soon x
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:48 am
Just Joined

oh forgot to ask whats PR?
Old Jul 7th 2007, 12:56 am
`

It's Permanent Residency.

Yes. I was at Southlands.

I'll have a scout about for you & see what I can come up with.

Anything I find , I'll post here.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Cheers, that would be great.