Help please

Old May 3rd 2013, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

steve2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help please

Hello all from a retired couple currently residing in Nottinghamshire.

Our daughter and family emigrated to Tauranga in June 2011.
We want to emigrate to NZ to help them with their life there and also because we love the country, the lifestyle, and the people, having spent many months there already via long holidays.
However we know we cannot apply for a permanent parent visa until our daughter has lived there for 3 years, although luckily we do fit the requirements for a Tier 1 application.
We returned to the UK in March after 5 months in NZ on a normal visitor visa and decided we should take a chance rather than my usual risk free approach.
Our basic plan was to use the multiple entry parent visitor visa to spend most of the next 18 months there (accepting the max. 6 months at a time issue) whilst also progressing the permanent parent visa at the appropriate time. We appreciate there is a certain risk here of not being accepted before the 18 months is up but are willing to take this chance, and move out of the country temporarily if this turns out to be the case.

We had decided we may as well sell our house (which we have just done - 2 weeks after going on the market!), buy one out there and move our belongings so we can set up home for this 18 month period, and hopefully for many years after this as well.

However I have just discovered 2 potentially big stumbling blocks which I would appreciate some advice on.

1. I have just read on the NZ customs site that we cannot bring our household goods to NZ on the multiple-entry visitor visa. It only allows permanent visa applicants, but we were willing to take a chance here - any thoughts?

2. Even if we take this on the chin and rent furnished until we get a permanent parent visa there is another clause which states that to bring our goods into NZ "duty and or tax free" we have to have resided outside NZ for the whole of 21 months before our arrival in NZ (I am assuming they would take arrival as being after our permanent visa has been issued) rather than our comings and goings as visitors. Given this we could never bring our household goods into the country duty free which seems illogical.

Has anyone else out there done this type of move please?
Old May 5th 2013, 5:23 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help please

Originally Posted by steve2013

However I have just discovered 2 potentially big stumbling blocks which I would appreciate some advice on.

1. I have just read on the NZ customs site that we cannot bring our household goods to NZ on the multiple-entry visitor visa. It only allows permanent visa applicants, but we were willing to take a chance here - any thoughts?

2. Even if we take this on the chin and rent furnished until we get a permanent parent visa there is another clause which states that to bring our goods into NZ "duty and or tax free" we have to have resided outside NZ for the whole of 21 months before our arrival in NZ (I am assuming they would take arrival as being after our permanent visa has been issued) rather than our comings and goings as visitors. Given this we could never bring our household goods into the country duty free which seems illogical.

Good day and welcome to the forum.

Vistors can not bring a boat load of their own goods to NZ, when it is obvious that they will be using it to set up house. It contradicts the terms of a vistors visa.

Regards your second point, on the outset it seems not very logical, but not one I have had experience with, hopefully someone will come along with a better view.
Old May 5th 2013, 5:37 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to say this but I think you have, 'jumped the gun'. Is it to late to take your house off the market or are you sceptical of getting a buyer in the future ? If you made multiple visits to NZ in the next 18 months, where would you stay on your returns to Britain ? If you sell your house, you will lose your psychological anchor point. Being homeless, even technically, is not a nice feeling. Even if you think you can stay with friends or relatives in Britain, let's hope they make good on that. Also, I don't mean to be rude, but, no one else will really care about what you are doing or the amount of stress you are under once you have sold your house and are 'between two worlds'.

Could you find out how much duty or tax is actually payable on your household goods should you bring them to NZ ? A few hundred quid ? A few thousand ? Could this be factored into your moving costs ?

Anyway, you won't have been resident in NZ during your visits on account of the fact that you visit on a visitors visa. So does the 21 months really apply ? You will have taken a succession of holidays in NZ within the terms of your visa.

I have heard of retired British people living in a Camper Van in NZ i.e. it's fully furnished and has what they need. Rent one or buy one ?

Last edited by Snap Shot; May 5th 2013 at 6:10 am.
Old May 5th 2013, 6:19 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

My god when you said you had taken a chance you aren't kidding are you

I really think you have put the horse before the cart. there is no guarantee that you will be granted a visa and it may not look good with you coming over on a visitors visa but in all reality you are setting up home and it could actually harm your visa prospects ?

If you can I would take the house off the market and just rent it out, as you sold it within 2 weeks of it going on the market you will sell again, we had the same sold within 2 weeks. And being in UK you are very lucky that you won't have any monies to pay out unlike NZ if you agree to sell/buy here and then pull out you will be hit with paying out.

I would double check that you do have all the requirements for Tier one, Immigration site states that the time frame for selection is 6mths and then another 6mths to process. Tier 2 is anything up to 7 years
Old May 5th 2013, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all from a retired couple currently residing in Nottinghamshire.

Our daughter and family emigrated to Tauranga in June 2011.
We want to emigrate to NZ to help them with their life there and also because we love the country, the lifestyle, and the people, having spent many months there already via long holidays.
However we know we cannot apply for a permanent parent visa until our daughter has lived there for 3 years, although luckily we do fit the requirements for a Tier 1 application.
We returned to the UK in March after 5 months in NZ on a normal visitor visa and decided we should take a chance rather than my usual risk free approach.
Our basic plan was to use the multiple entry parent visitor visa to spend most of the next 18 months there (accepting the max. 6 months at a time issue) whilst also progressing the permanent parent visa at the appropriate time. We appreciate there is a certain risk here of not being accepted before the 18 months is up but are willing to take this chance, and move out of the country temporarily if this turns out to be the case.

We had decided we may as well sell our house (which we have just done - 2 weeks after going on the market!), buy one out there and move our belongings so we can set up home for this 18 month period, and hopefully for many years after this as well.

Hi,

You need to look at this link :

http://dol.govt.nz/immigration/knowledgebase/item/3816

It is going to be very difficult for you to spend most of the next 18 months in NZ as a visitor.
You've already done 5 months so in reality you're only eligible for another 4 months in the 18 month period from the start of your 5 month visit which I assume was November 2012 ish ?

You really have jumped the gun with your decisions.

Unless you have a permanent visa status you cannot bring over your household goods. Any International Removals company would refuse as you wouldn't be able to furnish them with the necessary visa as part of their paperwork to NZ Customs.

Sorry for the bad news
Old May 5th 2013, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies so far.
Catchafire - thanks for the welcome.

Snapshot - I agree on your thinking on the duty and just taking it as a cost of moving, my initial reaction when seeing the word tax or duty was to assume it would be in the order of 20% or 40% as per UK income/cap gains etc. but on closer looking at NZ customs it shouldn't be anything like that much. On the 'between two worlds' point, well we have been this for the last 2 years spending nearly 50% of our time in NZ so actually getting over for 18 months nearly as a solid chunk will be closer to normal life.

MrsFychan - as empty nesters we needed to downsize anyway but would probably have never got around to it, so it has been quite liberating so far going through all our accumulated goods and the guys at our local tip (council recycling centre) know me by name. Also definitely OK on tier 1 and have read on the NZ immigration site that you can put in an application after 2 years 8 months as it takes them 6 months to look at it, hence over 3 years at time of looking/selection, and this cuts down the possible overall time to less than a year (albeit still a bit risky).

escapedtonz - thanks for the concern, but according to the FAQ section on the multi-entry visa, previous time doesn't count once the visa is issued.

OK, so I have come to terms with not bringing all our household goods as part of our multi-entry visa stay, but instead we put them in storage in the UK. However our daughter left a few boxes of stuff in our loft, which as part of our house move, to avoid that going into storage with our household goods, we could ask her to import to NZ. Stretching a point if she were to import her goods, then she could possibly import some joint owned goods as in boxes of photos, family mementoes etc., her old bed and chest of drawers, the computer desk she used to use - where would we draw the line.....
Old May 5th 2013, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

tiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud of

Can't offer any advice I'm afraid but just wanted to say hi as we are also located in Notts and hoping to emigrate soon - small world!

Wish you luck in your endeavours, would be great to hear how you get on!
Old May 6th 2013, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

escapedtonz - thanks for the concern, but according to the FAQ section on the multi-entry visa, previous time doesn't count once the visa is issued
Apologies - my mistake.
It didn't register that you had mentioned the parent multi entry visitor visa (must take more notice - wife's been telling me that for years!!!) which gives you the right to stay in NZ for max 18 months out of 3 years and only considers time you have spent in NZ after that visa is issued

May have got confused as you didn't actually say your daughter was a resident - just that she had emigrated to NZ, so wrongly assumed she was just on a working visa.

If you are granted the multi entry visitor visa I'm thinking the timing of that ending after your 18 months in NZ will be about the right time for you to apply for the parent residency visa as your daughter will have done her 3 years.

Good luck!
Old May 6th 2013, 5:20 am
Just Joined

Hi Tiger Mama, what sort of visa are you heading out on?

escapedtonz - no worries (as they say somewhere), our other daughter is resident in Sydney so we will be popping over from Rotorua to see her occasionally, so if timing doesn't quite work out at least we can get a long holiday over there.
Old May 7th 2013, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

tiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud of

We are hoping to get straight out on a skilled migrants visa but possibly work visas to begin with depending on employer situation.

My mother in law (also in notts) is now looking into following us on the same visa that you folks are looking at after we've been out there for 3-4 years.

Hope you manage to sort our all your issues!