Traveling to the States.. ESTA

Old Apr 12th 2015, 2:44 pm
A taffy in Ontario

snuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant future
Default Traveling to the States.. ESTA

So I traveled to the states yesterday and activated my Permanent Residency when I returned to Canada

Just curious, Why do they ask for an ESTA ? I assumed that is required when you traveling to the States by Air ... regardless I had mine with me anyway so it wasn't an issue.
Old Apr 12th 2015, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling to the States.. ESTA

Originally Posted by snuggs
So I traveled to the states yesterday and activated my Permanent Residency when I returned to Canada

Just curious, Why do they ask for an ESTA ? I assumed that is required when you traveling to the States by Air ... regardless I had mine with me anyway so it wasn't an issue.
Because if you have a valid ESTA in their system it makes it easier to print off the I94 waiver form.
ESTA not required if crossing by land border.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice

We are in the process of applying for this....If you arrive into Canada and then travel the day after to the US what do you need if not an ESTA? (would it be better to get one from the UK before departure anyway?)
Old Apr 15th 2015, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie n family
We are in the process of applying for this....If you arrive into Canada and then travel the day after to the US what do you need if not an ESTA? (would it be better to get one from the UK before departure anyway?)
If you are driving into the USA or travelling by bus or train you apply for the I94 waiver and pay $6 at the US port of entry and its valid for 90 days. If flying or arriving by boat into the USA you need to apply for ESTA before you arrive.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) | U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Old Apr 16th 2015, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

Having an esta makes filling in the visa waiver easier when driving over. The esta lasts a couple of years and men's they have your details. So you don't need to fill in the visa waiver, they simply print it and charge you the fee. So really just saves a few mins filling out the form. We had to get one as we flew from Vancouver to Vegas last year. According to the border guy you can have one even if you didn't fly as we have one but our daughter doesn't.

Prob not worth the cost just to save a few mins. But the border officers seemed to ask us less questions as they had our details.